Thread: Services and Controller app was prevented from changing the settings of ZoneAlarm Security

stinman Guest

Default Services and Controller app was prevented from changing the settings of ZoneAlarm Security

Suite by modifying the registry key: HKCS\SERVICES\VSMON May I ask,what does this mean?And should I let services and applications change the registry?ZA blocked it.Seems that this was registered at 3.30 am,unless the time is different my pc was shut down at that time.I am on a home network behind a linksys broadband router,wired and wireless.My pc is wired.Should I have something loged in the firewall log?There is nothing there,on my last pc there was always blocked attempts.It doesn't say anything now.I assume it is working.Back to the topic,I am not sure what service or application was trying to change the reg keys.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Services and Controller app was prevented from changing the settings of ZoneAlarm Security

Relax. Nothing is wrong.
    The services just checked the registry and came across the ZA entry and then the ZA's self defense kicked in and shut it out. The the ZA gave an alert on well it is protecting itself from attempts by the services.
    Actually just the attempt to read the key was declared by the ZA as an attempt to change it.
    This happens with the host file too if the ZA is set to lock the host file - even if an additionally installed antispyware or antivirus scanner wished to check the host file, then the ZA will alert to an attempt to change the host file.
    This really happens all the time.

Services is not an issue - it's when something called malware'r'us.exe tries these attempts that one should be very concerned.

The ZA is a service and windows itself does do things for itself and with the services.exe, including the registry.
    Other applications may borrow the services and use it's capabilities for itself for it's own reasons. Especialy other security applications (windows defender?) or other heavy duty applications such as adobe, java, etc.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-19-2008 09:26 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information