Thread: Zone alarm clinet Requested. - WINXP PRO - NEWLY INSTALLED. ALL CLEAN

paranoidkid Guest

Default Zone alarm clinet Requested. - WINXP PRO - NEWLY INSTALLED. ALL CLEAN

Hi

I just installed zone alarm today. I just went to the bathroom to wash my face - As i had long day

As i was approaching my desk - I saw my monitor - A small cmd window open and exit Very quickly. I was shocked...Because i just reformatted and installed win xp all over again and installed zone alarm

So i checked the zone alarm log and i see

Zone alarm client requested permission to access internet - Zlclinet.exe and updclient.exe -

So did zone alarm automatically update quickly and open the cmd window and exit.

Because i got really Scared quit

I was walking to my desk and i see my monitor - And then a cmd window open and then exits quickly in 2 seconds...LOL

That bothering me now.

It was the zone alarm right? Because also when i checked the log - the cmd window opened at the same time the program log was reuqested SO most likely - LOL THAT SCARED ME. Very strange to happen when you are approaching your desk lol - Cmd open and close fastly. That can give me malware nighwmares

Also - i cannot put my internet zone security to high - when i put on high i cannot connect to internet. I need it on high - But IT only works on medium. Lol

Message Edited by ParanoidKid on 07-09-2008 08:08 PM

Message Edited by ParanoidKid on 07-09-2008 08:13 PM

riceorony Guest

Default Re: Zone alarm clinet Requested. - WINXP PRO - NEWLY INSTALLED. ALL CLEAN

Get some rest, if you just reformatted your computer you should be clean of all infections.

cmd.exe = command prompt

New computers run command prompts (most usually after logging on) as a way of running programs. I just reformmated mine last week (07/01) and installed Vista and still get command prompts from Counterspy V2 running some registry cleaner after login on (last ~5 seconds).

The only ways that you could be reinfected are:
    1.) after reformatting, you installed new windows updates or any programs while being directly plugged into the dsl/cable box with no firewall on (you should always be behind an external firewall or router of some-sort, never directly plugged in)
    2.) you have a rare infection in your bios or the boot-sector of the hard-drive which are not touched by the reformat.
    --> The bios infection would have to be laptop/computer specific to an exact T (as every darn computer brand and type has a different motherboard). VERY EXTREMELY RARE, you basically have to be out clicking everywhere and downloading tons off Kazaa and actively looking for it pretty much.
    --> boot-sector virus, you'll notice horrendous boot-up times, or glitchyness, possibly even system-failure.

I never thought the day I would find someone as paranoid as me about computer security haha *shakes your hand*

Also, please list what type of ZA product you're using; is it the free firewall? the security suite? ZA pro?

What other antivirus/antispyware products have you installed?

What have you done to the computer since you've reformat? The order? (ex. reformatted, Service packs, windows updates, security apps, adobe, aim/msn/yahoo, etc.??)

All behind an external router?

With all those answered i can assist you furthur if you're still worried.

Or you can read my previous post (http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=18650) where I attempted to help another person concerned about security.

Message Edited by riceorony on 07-09-2008 11:55 PM

paranoidkid Guest

Default Re: Zone alarm clinet Requested. - WINXP PRO - NEWLY INSTALLED. ALL CLEAN

Hi

I use ZA FREE FIREWALL

My pc boots up fast and all is well, Boot sector is not a problem.

Also I do not think my bios is infected. I am using a jetway motherboard which is not really included in most computers. I custom build my pc. And i barely download files - So no...I am not infected in motherboard...I hope not.

Ok so i reformatted my harddrive with dariks boot and nuke and installed windows xp pro

I am using cable modem with no router. So i had to connect and download service pack 3 for 15 minutes with no protection. But that's not really a problem...How can i get hacked by just connecting to internet? On a clean new installed XP PRO

I installed windows service pack 3. And when i restarted and went to desktop I saw a little cmd.exe window open and close - THAT'S NORMAL - happen all time i installed service pack 3 on other computers. It happens right after start up at the desktop.

So then i installed Zone alarm. I restarted. And that is it

I was visitng some websites - Then i was tired and went to bathroom to wash my face. So i clean my face. I exit my bathroom - i walk to my desk - I am looking at my 22 inch monitor and THEN I SEE A small cmd box open and close - 2 seconds it was open

SO i looked in the event log - all is fine

I quickly looked in zone alarm log and it show something at exact time the small cmd box open.

It was something about zone alarm updater?

I think it was zone alarm - Because this happend at exact time in the log - So it's very possible. After the cmd box open - i check log and see something of updclient.exe - So that is around same time cmd box open

And i have automatic update on for zone alarm.

Window automatic update is oN - But i just turned it off -Nothing was installed on window automatic update

tell me if u need more details

Message Edited by ParanoidKid on 07-09-2008 09:09 PM

Message Edited by ParanoidKid on 07-09-2008 09:11 PM

paranoidkid Guest

Also i have one question

In za free when i click "CHeck for update"

A small box comes up and disappears - is it normal

THe box is white like from za - But it comes up for 3 seconds and closes...

What the heck> Isn't it suppose to tell me at least i am using update version>

I just downloaded the firewall and installed it - Why does the update box close so quickly without telling me anything

paranoidkid Guest

Also whats best setting for loopback adapter>

It default on trusted...Can i make it internet?

riceorony Guest

The loopback adapter must be set at TRUSTED (loopback 127.0.0..... is used by your computer to communicate with itself)!

riceorony Guest

Sounds good!

The prompt box is most likely associated with ZA like you assumed.

And you would be surprised by how quickly a newly reformmated (unpatched) computer is vulnerable to the internet.

I once (after reformatting) received a new Troyan within 40 minutes of being directly connected to the internet (AND ALL I WAS DOWNLOADING WAS THE SP1 AND UPDATES!!!!) The computer was left alone!

riceorony Guest

The small box is for ZA firewall update. Normally it does prompt you at the end that "There are no updates at this time" or something like that.

paranoidkid Guest

Well it did not prompt me at all

It just went away

Is my Zone Alarm free bugged? Does it contain errors? I think so.

Why would the box disappear so quickly.

I quickly see " Connecting to...And recevinvg data -And then the box disappears

Thread Information