Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An unwanted remote desktop

ajsmark Guest

Default An unwanted remote desktop

I have had a remote desktop on my PC for 18 months and NO SUPPORT has been able to tell me how it is there nor how to unload it.

I have cleaned my HD. D. totally and completely then reformatted the drive sooo many times I can do it in my sleep and it is always there as soon as I install ZA and before I have even connected the modem to the machine. Is it maybe in the Motherboard? Support, ALL OF THEM WORLD WIDE say no, but where then can it be.

I have a, Pardon the expression, a "Dell dimension 4600 W/2.8 GigHrz power, XP Pro w/a Gig of ram". The ISP is SBC DSL and the machine acts like it has 128 mb. ram and is on dial-up.

Also I am prevented from down loading anything including new updates from ZA.. My machine is fully compromised. I have tried to turn off the remote services but to no avail. I am going crazy, yesterday I had a fight with a GeekSquad guy cause he told my machine was clean from infections and I told him he was scanning a remote computer and the name on the computer has changed from AJ-XXXXXXXXXX to N-XXXXXXXXXX, so guess what people this is not my maachine anymore.

Can anyone help meeeeee PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!????

A.J.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

pairofhearts Guest

Default Re: An unwanted remote desktop

Go to cCleaner (Piriform Forums) and do a Hijackthis log in the catagory "Spyware **bleep** and Help". Some very knowledgeable people there.

http://forum.piriform.com/

ajsmark Guest

I have done one of them before but now I cannot download anything or scan with any web based reader as it blocks everything and especially anything security based.

Thanks though and I will post my same letter on your page...

A.J.

pairofhearts Guest

Have you tried safemode with networking? How long has this been going on? Can you do a system restore prior to this happening?

prof_fate Guest

It sounds like your Computer may be infected or Recuted as a Zombie Computer..
    Thry this Free Online Virus Scan by Kaspersky..
    http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:954967108
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4235
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

ajsmark Guest

I realize that when people have been in groups like this they tend to scan letters rather than read them through. I posted everything about my case in the first letter with the exception of the cleaning method I used to clean the Drives with. That was the Cybercide utility at the Guttman 35 method which cleans everything from the drive including the magnetics or figure prints left on the drive by the now destroyed files and totally prevents any form of software or hardware recovery tools and still this remote icon shows up in the ZA online program area at the upper right hand corner of the page and again all that before there is anything even close to being connected to the machine from the modem. This is why I suspect that there is something either in the Motherboard, like used to happen years ago or the only other answer is that it is somehow on my recovery disk.

When I clean the disk, I clean both the Logical Partition and physical drive and it takes about a day and 1/2 to complete. I am at a total loss as to how to fix it and again, I am totally prevented from downloading ANYTHING from the internet to my machine for any reason what so ever by this thing. Sooo my Question is, do I need a new machine? This baby costs 3800.00 new and I am a shut in with a fixed income and have no funds for a new machine!!!!!

The geeksquad was my last resort and they wanted 170 just to come over and another 300.00 to reformat. I should be doing that cause hey I can do it in my sleep )

A.J.

ajsmark Guest

This has been going on for 18 months!!

I was once online with Dell support for ten hours trying to get this fixed and that was over a year ago while I still had my warranty.

A.J.

Disable remote assistnce in the properties of my computer.
    Disable everything in the Properties of the network adapter except for the internet protocool (ipv4) and in the properties of internet protocool (ipv4), make sure the correct gateway & dns & assigned IP are entered and uncheck off the enable lmhosts and check off the disable netbios over tcp/ip.

Then disable IPSEC, computer browser, dns client, dhcp client, aspnet, net.tcp port sharing, network dde, and network dde dsm, network provisioning, performance logs and alerts (you may need this one so be careful), QoS rsvp, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, Remote Access Connection Manager, Remote Desktop Help Session Manager, Routing and Remote Access, SSDP Discovery Service (this will kill the upnp on the lan, so be careful), TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, Telephony (do not disable if using dialup), Terminal Services, Universal Plug and Play Device Host (same advice as for the ssdp discovery) in the Services.

Now reboot.

Open the ZA and block this ports to the internet zone for both outgoing and incoming and for tcp and udp 3289 and also block incoming udp for 1020-1030.

See "How to Automatically Delete Locally Cached Profiles" in google for removing stored info in the windows.

Like this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274152

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/173870

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ajsmark Guest

Thank you for your help as I will try what you suggest.

I have disabled many of the remote services in the past and all the ones you mention here, but not all the non remote items you list. Disabling the remote services in the past has not stopped the remote desktop, so maybe I just hadn't gone far enough and I do thank you. I will let you know how this works for me... The only remote accesses I didn't disable in the past was anything having to do with telephony or RPC, but they also had other dependencies that I was leary of taking out.

"Pairofhearts", suggested that I go into safe mode with networking. I have never done that and not until the geeksquad fellow was here did I know you could go online from safemode in any manner do to the low Ram available... How would I do that and if so for what reason or can I surf from that mode and or download say the Ccleaner so as to do the "Hijackthis log"
    and what animal of program do I need to do that with? I do have the Ccleaner on a back-up so if that is the program then I have it.

I am at my wits end here and the one thing that grrrrrrrs me is that even though I have cleaned the drive tons of times the Icon still ends up showing in ZAbefore I connect anything from the ISP!!!??!!! That is mind boggling!!!

A.J.

ajsmark Guest

I have a former windows developer friend who has recommended that I use this program along with a totally different firewall. But I have had ZA since it's inception when I saw GRC.com's endorcements of it.

Thanks,

A.J.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information