Thread: McAfee & ZoneAlarm Not Compatible

wattron Guest

Default McAfee & ZoneAlarm Not Compatible

I suddenly started having problems with McAfee Virus Software today. I've used it with ZoneAlarm for a couple of years with no problem. The virus software keeps turning off.

I discussed this with McAfee tech support and they told me that ZoneAlarm and McAfee are not compatible. The only way to get McAfee to work properly is to un-install ZoneAlarm.

Is this true? Or is McAfee trying to sell their firewall?

Thanks,

Ron Watters

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

fireside Guest

Default Re: McAfee & ZoneAlarm Not Compatible

I recently experienced the same problem with McAfee repeatedly giving me a message "Not Protected". After clicking on FIX in the McAfee Security Center, protection was enabled. McAfee Knowledge Base Document ID 107095 describes this problem with 3 alternate solutions. My conversations with McAfee support resulted in being instructed to uninstall and reinstall McAfee. I had to uninstall McAfee before I could even download McAfee. Once download complete, clicking on INSTALL did not do anything. Another conversation with McAfee supported result in being told to uninstall ZoneAlarm because it is incompatible. Long story short, I SHUTDOWN ZoneAlarm and was able to click on the McAfee Download Manager INSTALL button and successfully reinstalled McAfee. I DID NOT uninstall ZoneAlarm. A reboot of my computer restarted ZoneAlarm and McAfee and I have not seen the problem since. I too explained that I have been running ZoneAlarm for firewall and McAfee for Virus protection. I do not use McAfee firewall. The KB ID 107095 indicates that the "Not Protected" messages is a result that not all McAfee products installed successfully. Thus, apparently a
    complete reinstall has so far fixed my problem with the message. Hope this helps.

This is just my 2 cents worth,If your having problem installing ZA with a previous installation of Norton Systemworks or Norton AntiVirus, or Norton Security Suite 2008/2009when you use ADD/Remove to Remove any of Symantec Norton utilities, especially their Norton Anti-Virus program, they still leave lots of traces behind after the "UNINSTALL"Fortunately SYMANTEC has a Fix for this problem on the Symantec web site called "NORTON REMOVAL TOOL" that does a better job of REMOVING ALL traces of Norton Symantec files..here is the Link to the Symantec Norton Removal Tool..http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ent&amp;seg=hmHere is the Link to McAfee Removal Tool..http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...64&amp;lc=1033<H5>Affected Operating Systems: </H5><UL><LI>Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Home <LI>Microsoft Windows Vista </LI>[/list]

NOTE: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 32-Bit version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956592198
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4325 &lt;== New Update
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wattron Guest

Thanks Fireside!

I waited a while to reply to your note and suggestion -- just to make sure everything works. But, indeed, by un-installing McAfee and then re-installing, it now works.

One aspect of this that I might note to others that run into this problem: McAfee won't let you do the install when Zone Alarm is running. You'll need to turn it off before doing the install. Then turn it back on.

In my case, everything has returned to normal. I can run McAfee along with Zone Alarm and both work just fine.

I hope this will be helpful to others -- and thanks again to Fireside for your suggestion!

Best Wishes,

Ron

--
    Ron Watters

Thread Information