Thread: system is very laggy after update install!

janaka Guest

Default system is very laggy after update install!

My system performed just fine until I installed the ZA security suite update for this whole MS security update fiasco. I have followed all available instructions to install, but once finished, my computer acts like it does not have any memory. Programs take forever to load, every action is extremely laggy. What is going on? I am about to throw ZA in the trash. Is anyone else experiencing this? Help me please.

Mahalo,
    Janaka.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

martinbradford Guest

Default Re: system is very laggy after update install!

I'm also seeing this, though as someone reported in another thread, it does seem to be specifically linked to Live Messenger. Zone Alarm scanner takes the CPU to 100% almost continuously after messenger kicks in. Was a big problem for me since I had messenger configured to autostart on boot. I managed to regain control by booting without a network connection - that seemed to give me enough breathing space to click the Zone Alarm tooltray icon and kill it. Then I was able to kill Live Messenger and disable the autostart after which I could reload Zone Alarm and everything is working fine...
    Don't think you should criticise Zone Alarm too much - I've used a variety of firewalls and virus scanners and ZA remains the best behaved in my opinion. This recent security alert was something out of the ordinary - a fundamental design flaw in the basic internet protocols which required a carefully controlled release of patches and information affecting all network connected devices and operating systems. It's been a massive upheaval and it would be surprising if there were not a few hiccups!
    Martin

janaka Guest

Your right about ZA Martin, never had any problems before this. They have been solid. I don't use Live Messenger or have it installed though. Running now without sketchy MS update and running previous version of ZASS until this gets worked out. Think of anything else let me know.

thank for the help ,
    Janaka.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Janaka wrote:
    My system performed just fine until I installed the ZA security suite update for this whole MS security update fiasco. I have followed all available instructions to install, but once finished, my computer acts like it does not have any memory. Programs take forever to load, every action is extremely laggy. What is going on? I am about to throw ZA in the trash. Is anyone else experiencing this? Help me please.

Mahalo,
    Janaka.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    A.) do you have any other Security Programs installed, that may be conflicting with ZoneAlarm Security Suite?Here is an Example.. http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=34530#M34530B.) your ZASS Configuration Database may have been corrupted durring the upgrade, and this could result in simular problems like the ones your have.Here is how to Reset and correct your Configuration Database..ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    C.) if the above does not work, as a Za Security Suite User you can Contact ZA Tech Support Directly at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform(preferably with IE7)Please give them as much detail about your problem and what other programks you have installed or recently Uninstalled..If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.

Please keep us posted with your progress report..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:955216423
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4245
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

martinbradford Guest

Thanks for that - the reset seems to have solved it for me...
    Martin

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>martinbradford wrote:
    Thanks for that - the reset seems to have solved it for me...Martin
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your Welcome..Thanks you for your feedback..
    GeorgeV

janaka Guest

Awesome, it worked great. Reset the Database configuration. System was still running with 100% CPU usage for a few minutes after the reboot, but stabilized once ZASS auto-downloaded some configuration files. I successfully installed, Windows XP-SP3, and the MS security update &quot;#951748!&quot; that started this whole thing, and still running smooth. Thanks again guru. Really appreciate it.

Aloha,
    Janaka.

Your Welcome..Thank you for your Feedback..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information