Thread: Could ZAISS/KB951748 mix-up keep System Checkpoints in WinXP Home from being created automatically??

2harts4ever Guest

Default Could ZAISS/KB951748 mix-up keep System Checkpoints in WinXP Home from being created automatically??

Good morning,

For the record I am using Windows XP Home, SP#3 with IE7 fully updated with no known problems except for the one I will be explaining now.

I have had no 'System Checkpoints' created automatically since July 8. Prior to that date I normally had one created automatically almost every 24 hours.

In hindsight I think it has something to do with something I did on July 9 that could be triggering this problem.

Microsoft came out with a Windows XP security update (KB951748) on July 9 which later was found to clash with Zone Alarm. Before I found this out I installed this update and immediately discovered I could no longer access the internet as did countless other ZA users.

However, in a moment of not thinking the problem through, I used the System Restore feature to an earlier date and that restored my ability to connect to the internet once again. Later while browsing
    another forum I read that this was a 'no-no'. I should have just uninstalled the M/S update.

Right after using System Restore to
    let me connect to the internet again
    ZA
    came out with a new version to correct this problem with this update.

At that point I downloaded and did a fresh install of my ZAISS.

Everything seemed to be 'honky-Dorey' until I noticed a few days back that I had no 'System Checkpoints' created since this foul-up occurred. I have had one 'Software Distribution Service' restore point created since this happened when I installed a Windows Defender weekly update and I also created one restore point manually by myself.

I am just grasping at straws but I am wondering if somehow this ZA/MS update mix up could have triggered my problem of not having System Checkpoints automatically created?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Could ZAISS/KB951748 mix-up keep System Checkpoints in WinXP Home from being created automatically??

Turn off the System Restore and immediately reboot.
    Then re-enable System Restore and immediately reboot.
    This will clean things out and start it off fresh.
    That same day or the next look to see if the System Checkpoints are showing up again.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

2harts4ever Guest

Default Re: Could ZAISS/KB951748 mix-up keep System Checkpoints in WinXP Home from being created??

Morning Oldsod,

I appreciate you coming aboard.

While waiting for a forum response I went back to a previous Restore point when everything was working correctly.
    I then reinstalled the new version of ZAISS followed by reinstalling KB951748.

Almost 24 hours to the minute later I had my first 'system checkpoint' in more than two weeks.

It sounds like your suggestion would have been much easier and safer,
    but
    regardless
    my computer is now cranking out 'system checkpoints' on a daily basis.
    I guess
    solving any problem
    is what is important in the end.

Have a great day!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Default Re: Could ZAISS/KB951748 mix-up keep System Checkpoints in WinXP Home from being created??

Have a great day too!
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information