Thread: Websites visited aren't added to Privacy-Sitelist

clayachin Guest

Default Websites visited aren't added to Privacy-Sitelist

Since upgrading to Version 7.0.483.000, I've noticed that none of the sites I visit are automatically added to the sitelist on the Privacy tab.
    The message on the left of the sitelist states: "This is a list of the websites you have visited in the current session".
    I recall that my prior version of ZA Pro (before the recent upgrade) would maintain a list of almost every website that was months old. It even included url's that were referenced by some websites.

Is there something that I need to configure?

Operating System:
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by clayachin on 07-23-2008 12:18 AM

Default Re: Websites visited aren't added to Privacy-Sitelist

Contact Technical Support, free support by email:

https://www.zonealarm.com/store/cont...ch_support.jsp

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

clayachin Guest

I figured out what the problem was. I have Avira Anti-Virus installed and their Webguard service scans all sites. When checking TCPview, it seems all sites go through that port and never reach Zone Alarm. When I deactivate the Avira Webguard, all sites visited appear in the Zone Alarm sitelist for that session.

The question is whether to use Avira's Webguard or to deactivate it and use Zone Alarm. Webguard has alerted me to questionable scripts in various web pages. What is the best solution?

Even if the sites aren't being to the Zone Alarm sitelist with Avira's Webguard activated, will the main privacy settings still work - Cookie Control, Ad Control and Mobile Code Control. If my memory serves me correctly, it has in the past with Webguard activated.
    This might result in a browser slowdown, though.

The web scanners of eset, awil, and kaspersky antiviruses all work with the ZA Pro and the avira should not be an exception.
    And yes these web scanners also proxify a specific localhost port for the http traffic - both incoming and outgoing.
    I found no issues with the avira web scanner and the ZA Pro 5.5, which is what I am using at this very minute. Although I do not the privacy of the ZA (use other programs for web filtering), the Privacy does work properly for myself.

Try first a database reset of the ZA and then make sure the networking is correctly setup...

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=52727

when the ZA alerts first start to appear (after the new network found window, immediately after the reboot into the normal mode from the database reset), the ZA will alert about the Avira Webguard (C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\AVWEBGRD.EXE). Use the Allow with the Always settings. Then open the Program list in the ZA and change the Internet Server to a red X instead of the green Allow, but let it have the green Allow for the Trusted Server. Give the AVWEBGRD.EXE the three green bars Trust rating, along with the Allow for both the Trusted and Internet Accesses.
    Then right click the AVWEBGRD.EXE in the ZA Program list and open the Options. Check the first two items listed and then Apply and OK.
    That should prevent any further issues and prevent an opened port to the Internet.

If the problem returns, then immediately contact Technical Support and inform them of the problem. You may not be the only user with this problem and the more people reporting it , then the faster the technical staff will be able to resolve this and give another newer version with included the bug fix.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

damienb Guest

Oldsod,
    I've just started using Avira along with ZA Pro (switched from Kaspersky AV when upgrading to 7.0 slowed my computer by 80%!).
    I was glad to find your configuration info here for AVWEBGRD.EXE. ZA also displays an alert at startup for the Antivirus Mailscanner (avmailc.exe) trying to act as a server. Should I configure it the same way as you described for AVWEBGRD.EXE -- i.e., including not only enabling Trusted and Internet Access and Trusted Server, and disabling Internet Server -- but also the three green bars for the Trust rating, and checking the first two items in Options?
    Thanks,
    Damien

Yes that would be good to do.

Also enter the mail servers you use as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA.
    This will eliminate the need for the internet server for the MailScanner to ever have internet server rights. Plus it may even make your email connections a little more smoother or faster.

Also is using the MailScanner of the Avira, then disable the MailSafe of the ZA. Use only one mail scanner not two (two will conflict and cause issues).

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

damienb Guest

Oldsod,
    I'm unable to get ZAP with Avira to provide normal cookie control.
    First I uninstalled ZAP 6.1 per your instructions in another thread, rebooted, and then installed ZAP 5.5 (since you said that's what you use and it works for you).
    I made the changes to AVWEBGRD.EXE that you detailed in your preceding post.
    The result was (and still is) that the only visited website that is automatically added to the privacy sitelist is my browser's home page; every site I visit after that doesn't appear.
    I could probably live with that, but the really bad problem is that cookies are blocked even when I manually allow all items in every category. I had to turn Cookie Control to Off on the Main tab just to be able to sign in so that I could enter this post. I suspect that that suggests that other sites (e.g., ad providers) have to set their cookies; when
    I could see all the sites (using ZAP 6.1 with KAV 6.0), I could see the required auxiliary sites and therefore could manually allow their cookies. But now I can't, and I
    can't.
    I tried all this with and without checking "Enable Privacy Settings" in AVWEBGRD.EXE's Options; still doesn't work.
    The last thing I tried (after I remembered last night that I read on the Kaspersky forum [possibly from you?] that I had to
    put the ZA files/folders into KAV's Trusted list) was to exclude
    zclient.exe, zonealarm.exe, and WINNT\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs in Avira's Guard-Scan-Exceptions. Still no change.
    I had basically the same unsuccessful results when trying NOD32.
    Do you have any more suggestions for how I can get Avira and ZAP to work together successfully?
    Thanks,
    Damien

<blockquote><hr>damienb wrote:
    Oldsod,
    I'm unable to get ZAP with Avira to provide normal cookie control.
    First I uninstalled ZAP 6.1 per your instructions in another thread, rebooted, and then installed ZAP 5.5 (since you said that's what you use and it works for you).
    I made the changes to AVWEBGRD.EXE that you detailed in your preceding post.
    The result was (and still is) that the only visited website that is automatically added to the privacy sitelist is my browser's home page; every site I visit after that doesn't appear.
    I could probably live with that, but the really bad problem is that cookies are blocked even when I manually allow all items in every category. I had to turn Cookie Control to Off on the Main tab just to be able to sign in so that I could enter this post. I suspect that that suggests that other sites (e.g., ad providers) have to set their cookies; when
    I could see all the sites (using ZAP 6.1 with KAV 6.0), I could see the required auxiliary sites and therefore could manually allow their cookies. But now I can't, and I
    can't.
    I tried all this with and without checking "Enable Privacy Settings" in AVWEBGRD.EXE's Options; still doesn't work.
    The last thing I tried (after I remembered last night that I read on the Kaspersky forum [possibly from you?] that I had to
    put the ZA files/folders into KAV's Trusted list) was to exclude
    zclient.exe, zonealarm.exe, and WINNT\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs in Avira's Guard-Scan-Exceptions. Still no change.
    I had basically the same unsuccessful results when trying NOD32.
    Do you have any more suggestions for how I can get Avira and ZAP to work together successfully?
    Thanks,
    Damien
    <hr></blockquote>

Hmmm the avira does not filter the http traffic and control content such as cookies.
    it only scans the traffic for malware and bad html/scripts/etc.

Usually if there is a problem, then right click the application in the ZA Program list or in this case the AVWEBGRD.EXE.
    Open the Options.
    Check the first two items and Apply and OK.
    Should fix if there is an issue with the web scanner.

Note: the antivirus files themselves get constant updates that periodically change the file size and the hashsums.
    The ZA will by default check the files not just by the location but by the file's hashsums. Once the file is updated, it will no longer be recognized by the ZA.
    The solution is to change the "Authenticate components" (checksum or hashsum) to just "Authenticate programs by full path name only" (file location). As found under the Authentication section of the Options of the right click of the application in the ZA listing.
    You may have seen a Firefox upgrade make the ZA not recognize the browser any longer and this is why - the checksums no longer matched and the Firefox was then ignored.

As for cookie issues, it could be file/driver remnants of previous firewalls and security suites causing issues.
    Or from other security such as antispyware programs that filter the web content for emails, cookies, spy sites, etc.

Not all sites will be automatically added to the ZA Privacy.
    This is one of my own complaints.
    Often the sites have to be manually added to the Privacy.
    I really do not use the Privacy and use desktop proxy filters and the filtering of the browser for protection and cookie/ad blocking.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information