Thread: Problem with file and printer sharing, please help

serafin Guest

Default Problem with file and printer sharing, please help

I am not sure if I this is the right place to ask this question but I will try.

I have Windows Vista desktop with wired internet and wired Zone Alarm router. A Canon printer is plugged in to the router as well. The printer works from the Vista desktop but I can t configure file sharing and printer sharing with my other computer which is a Windows XP wireless laptop. I run a network wizard on the laptop and at least I can see the laptop on the Vista computer. I still can t see Vista on the laptop XP however. The laptop can connect to the network and use the internet but I can t add printer. I tried to browse for the printer but all I see is the name of the network I have but no name of the printer. Zone Alarm shows the name of the printer as Printer1 . I tried to put this as the name but it does not work. I don t know what is the server address. Is it 192.168 .. or is it my.firewall .
    I am lost. I know that 2 different Windows versions create problems but maybe there is a workaround.
    I disabled firewall on the Vista computer but I didn t do it on laptop XP. I am not sure if this is important or not. Thanks for your help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Problem with file and printer sharing, please help

You have a network printer, right? It's hooked to the router, so I suppose you do.
    On the XP laptop, do Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes to bring that Canon printer into the list.
    Then on the printer (what model?) might be a configuration screen which will tell you what the IP is, but you really don't need it, unless you want to give it a static IP. It's on the settings > device settings > LAN interface.

I don't think you have to configure any printer sharing thing since you will not be printing THROUGH Vista but directly via the router. It just should work from the XP if you installed it there. There is also a web interface for those printers but I cant recall if you need the IP to enter it or not.

Does the ZA router show devices which are connected? If so, can you see the printer there? Their MAC address begins with 00:00:85....

Do you see in the Program files Canon group on the XP something like Canon IJ Network Utilities?

Edit:
    If you have it, Run Canon IJ Network Tools from the Start menu, a virtual port should be there. Make sure it's checked. Then click the configuration button, it'll tell you about IP and more. If you do not have IJ thing, then the installation is flawed.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 07-23-2008 11:56 PM

serafin Guest

Thanks a lot.

I
    tried to search for the Canon printer on the network but it doesn't work. So now,
    I believe I have to install the driver on the laptop XP machine first, right?
    By the way,
    it is Canon Pixma
    iP2600 printer.

zaswing Guest

I better stop now, because I think you can get help from Canon regarding your exact printer and not something similar. If this is really a network printer, you can tell ZA to use ports 8612-8614 but normally you shouldn't have to. Justa allow the applications trusted access.

Canon Pixma iP2600 printer driver is on the CD.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=16278

How to install printer driver
    If in Step 8 the virtual printer port is not detected, call the tech support. They had a registry fix for my printer. Also you might ignore the failure and see if Printers and Faxes see it now.

They have very good support, and might send you fixes (they did for my, different, printer). I called them and got a good tech to help. Phone# is here:

I'm a bit confused. Are you sure it's a network printer? Uses ethernet cable?

serafin Guest

The printer is not a network printer. It is plugged in to one of 2 USB ports
    of the router. The router recognize it and I can print from the wired Vista desktop. I don't think
    I have to have a network printer to use
    it with this particular router.

zaswing Guest

I see now. You plug in via usb ports and the ZA router has a built-in print server. In that case, I still don't think you have to be concerned about file sharing. I'd be contacting both Canon for USB, I suppose, support and ZA for their side of the story. Sorry I can't help more, that's really out of my league

serafin Guest

Thanks anyway. I will try to play with firewall setting. Maybe this is the problem.

hammernu Guest

For file sharing, you need to put the address of other network pc's into ZoneAlarm's Firewall Zones as Trusted
    on each computer. In other words, if you have computers A, B, and C, A must have entries for B and C, B must have entries for A and C, and ...

serafin Guest

Thanks, I am completely stuck with file and printer sharing. I will try to do it today. I think I have to start with file sharing first. On my wired Vista computer I can see the other (wireless ) laptop but when I double click it I got a messge that computer name is incorrect, check spelling, etc. The computer nsame IS correct so maybe when I add those addresses to ZA it will start working.
    Thanks

hammernu Guest

You're welcome.

Thread Information