Thread: Zone Alarm Menu Screen Dead on Arrival

rjwarman Guest

Default Zone Alarm Menu Screen Dead on Arrival

Have done a clean reinstall, booted to Safe at least twice and removed ZA, Win32 files, edited the registry, reinstalled, etc., and keep getting an inoperable ZA screen. A Tech recently told me to horse around with the config command to see if a conflict with Windows exists. I think the problem is elsewhere. Any ideas to activate ZA's opening screen?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    (I should mention this has to do with the latest V..483 after the Microsoft mess.)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by rjwarman on 07-23-2008 05:06 PM

Default Re: Zone Alarm Menu Screen Dead on Arrival

Open the properties of the ZA security files found in the Zone Labs of the All Programs. Uncheck everything in the Compatibility tab and apply and ok and reboot.
    Maybe this is at fault.

The ZA icon shows in the tray?

Recently uninstalled a previous firewall or secuirty suite?

Using other security programs and which ones?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rjwarman Guest

Dear Oldsod: Actually, when I clicked the Properties tab in ZA Security, there was nothing checked so I tried what you said by selecting the 98/XP tab. That didn't work either. There is a ZA icon in the right tray but if I click it the box that pops up will not do anything & stays on the monitor screen. Sometimes it shows activity ("Traffic&quot, sometimes not. To the left, in the tray the blue ZA Security S... icon is "dead" except I can use the "minimize/maximize" command with the mouse. I have not recently uninstalled a firewall or security suite. I am using Ad-aware 2008, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, and the free edition of ThreatFire. As I said, the problems started with the Microsoft "fix" and judging by all the comments in the Forum, Zone Alarm has a problem with its program. Thanks for you response.

<blockquote><hr>rjwarman wrote:
    Dear Oldsod: Actually, when I clicked the Properties tab in ZA Security, there was nothing checked so I tried what you said by selecting the 98/XP tab. That didn't work either. There is a ZA icon in the right tray but if I click it the box that pops up will not do anything & stays on the monitor screen. Sometimes it shows activity ("Traffic"), sometimes not. To the left, in the tray the blue ZA Security S... icon is "dead" except I can use the "minimize/maximize" command with the mouse. I have not recently uninstalled a firewall or security suite. I am using Ad-aware 2008, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, and the free edition of ThreatFire. As I said, the problems started with the Microsoft "fix" and judging by all the comments in the Forum, Zone Alarm has a problem with its program. Thanks for you response.
    <hr></blockquote>

Actually I said:
    "Open the properties of the ZA security files found in the Zone Labs of the All Programs. Uncheck everything in the Compatibility tab and apply and ok and reboot." and not to select anything.

Disable the AdWatch of the Ad-Aware.
    Open the PCTools program and disable the email protection, the cookie and site or spy site blocker protection and if there is some process guard then disable that as well.
    Set the ThreatFire not to start with windows startup.
    Now completely shutdown windows.
    Then do this:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Then start windows in the normal mode.

I think you have too many cooks and some cook is interferring.
    Too much of anything is not good.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-24-2008 01:30 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rjwarman Guest

Dear Oldsod: I bow before you O mighty one--your solution worked!!!! AdWatch must have been causing the problem even though I thought it was not enabled (or so I checked it under &quot;Settings&quot; in AdAware). Zone Alarm Security Suite now works for the first time since the Microsoft &quot;fix&quot; screwed things up. Once again, thank you very much for your input. I sure was not looking forward to enabling/disabling using msconfig and all those reboots as the ZoneAlarm folks last recommended after several reinstalls. Ralph

You are welcome.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information