Thread: How does ZA handle junk and spam in Outlook 2003

strifemit Guest

Default How does ZA handle junk and spam in Outlook 2003

Hi - I don't know if this is in the correct forum but here goes. I have just installed the full ZA Suite. Everything went well but I am confused by the handling of Junk and Spam in Outlook 2003. I have a Junk E-mail folder and a ZoneAlarm Junk folder. Nothing ever goes to the ZA folder only the Junk E-mail folder. Lots of spam doesn't get picked up at all although it is clearly spam. When I press junk it does nothing and as they always change their junk email addresses this seems like a waste of time. I expect if I press Junk it should automatically be moved to the Junk folder. It does nothing. I can block an email but what is the point when they keep changing the sending address? What does the block company do? Does it block the domain address and if so why not. I have gone through the help but I can't find an answer to this. Anybody able to give me an understanding of this? The best way I can see is that any junk or spam rated emails go direct to the Junk folder. Any email I say is junk should also go automatically to the junk folder. I can then look at and delete all of them at once.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

raideron Guest

Default Re: How does ZA handle junk and spam in Outlook 2003

Hi strifemit,
    I'm not great at this, but I'll tell you how my zonealarm security suite and xp prois setup:
    Open Zonealarm / E-Mail Protection:

Insure all
    are on.

Click on the Junk EmailFilter Advance button:
    Max out all the settings
    under the "Messages" button
    Then under "Settings" insurethat Auto report, Email and Phishing reporting are checked.. then close all...
    Open microsoft
    outlook / tools / options / other / advance options / com add-insand insure mailbuddy outlook addin is checked... And all should work????...
    The "Junk + "
    should now go the the ZoneAlarm Junk folder...
    The junk filter IMO is not that great... atleast the older version was not.. Most of myspam has stopped because of my ISP filters...
    On the "junk" "unjunk" buttons... same here on mine, sometimes they work sometimesnot...
    I
    add the junk email that makes it to the inbox by clicking on the zonealarm optionsinstead
    then clicking on block both email and company and also I report all... It can be abit time consuming depending how much junk you have the makes it to the inbox, butafter a bit it should put "most" into the ZA junk folder.... But you do have to check whatgoes into the ZA junk folder as sometimes "good" email gets added

Hope I did not confuse you too much, I do pretty good at that :-(
    HAGD

strifemit Guest

Thank you for that. I'll see how it goes. It seems to be behaving better but time will tell. I have SonicWALL which I believe used to be MailBuddy. I am now waiting for the answer to my other question on Outlook 2003 because I have Junk Mail folder and ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder.

zaswing Guest

My impression is that Outlook takes care of itself, and the ZA section isn't needed at all. Outlook express maybe another story.
    Also if you have any rule in Outlook, that overrides all ZA settings so Outlook is in control and ZA choices are ignored.

strifemit Guest

Hi Thanks for that. What options in Outlook 2003 can override ZoneAlarm? I guess that is what my original question asks.

zaswing Guest

None that I know of. It just happened in ZASS all by itself.
    You can turn off e-mail checking inside the ZA client GUI if you want.
    My drift is that whatever it was set at was really ignored by Outlook.
    As I recall there was one exception when ZA email check was on and that was not sending more that x number of messages per second. And perhaps max number of receipients. I forgot how it was exactly

raideron Guest

I had both also Outlooks junk folder and ZA's folder.. I also have Sonicwallnow, that is
    ZA's latest provider for junk mail..
    I also had both of the junk folders, and IIRC it did at first go to Outlooksjunk folder until I changed the settings then IIRC I just deleted outlooksjunk folder... There should be a Phishing folder also, but that may showup after SW picks one up...
    If you insure
    all the settings are set as stated in the previous messageall the junk should start to go into the ZA's junk mail folder.
    Like I said a lot of junk still gets to the inbox, and some good email alsogets into the junk folder.. But with time it "seemed" to do a slightly betterjob at it... But now my ISP does a Great job at it, makes ZA/Sonicwall shine :-)

Message Edited by Raideron on 07-27-2008 07:32 AM

strifemit Guest

Thanks for that. It wont let me delete the Junk Mail folder. Any ideas?

raideron Guest

Hey strifemit,
    No not really... Sorry.. I may have just moved it under another folder, as it stillshows in some of the Outlooks menus... But if I did, it is not obvious..
    Next time I start the XP I'll check it out... Anyhow hope all else is working foryou..
    Another problem I was (may still be, This was on the first junk mail version)having that really bothered me was some junk email addys
    somehow gotadded to my "white list" with no interaction on my part..I contacted ZA, and they did some checking etc.
    but they
    never could tell mewhy/how it was happening, but they did give me an
    option... Made me feel likeI counted for something....and soooo I still have a 3 license
    ZASS on the XP Pro...Still have yet to try it on this Vista machine I'm happy with whats on it and all'srunning smooth and fast
    with no problems to date....

Have a Great One!!
    Ron

Message Edited by Raideron on 07-29-2008 06:52 AM

raideron Guest

strifemit,
    Well I checked my Microsoft Outlook and the MS Outlook junk folderis no where to be found??
    I'm not sure how I got rid of it but it is, I nowonly show ZA's Junk folders(3)... Junk, Phishing and Challenged.....
    HAGD
    Ron

Thread Information