Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best ZA product for die-hard Opera user? OldSod??

karenjg Guest

Default Best ZA product for die-hard Opera user? OldSod??

(I specifically mention OldSod because he seems to like Opera as much as I do... but I'd welcome an answer from anybody who knows!)

I've just (finally!) moved to Windows XP from my pried-out-of-my-cold-dead-hands Win 98 machine, and can finally take advantage of ZA's new products. I'm currently testing ZA Pro, and it's working just fine, but I'm considering moving up to ZA Security Suite. However, what I've been able to find here suggests that the anti-virus program doesn't work with Opera email anyway (I installed AVG Free for now, just to have something, but had hoped to get the new Kaspersky AV program with my ZA installation).

So maybe I should just stick with Pro... or even move down to ZA firewall + spyware...? (I don't expect to use the privacy guard features, I have my own methods.)

Any thoughts?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Best ZA product for die-hard Opera user? OldSod??

Yes stay with the Pro or trial the ZA Antispyware version as this is idnetical to the Pro minus the Privacy features.
    You may consider trialing the paid Avira instead of the AVG - this AV is light fast and effective. And it has the web scanner/email scanner.
    It does not really matter so much about the email scanner for the clients - the antivirus will scan the attachment files anyways when they are opened once written to disk.
    The free Avira does this and this is still safe and secure.
    Right now the older ZA Pro 5.5 (the Privacy is off and it has no spyware scanner) running with the latest Avira; together with Privoxy (added lots of filters and actions) and the latest Opera (with user .css and user .js and the url.filter.ini for the extra filtering!). This seems to be a very good combination.

So stick with the ZA Pro or trial the ZA Antispyware and use either the AVG or the Avira (either free or paid) and keep using the Opera (naturally).

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

karenjg Guest

Thank you! I'll certainly check out the Avira, and will look into the Privoxy as well. I appreciate your advice! We Opera-lovers have to stick together, you know.

Now... not to presume on your good nature and generosity, but... do you know if I'll have to uninstall the ZA Pro trial version if I decide to go with the spyware/firewall version?

Of course us lovers stick together, even further bonded by both being ZA users.

Most definitely uninstall the ZA Pro before installing the ZA Antispywar, as that is the proper method to go about it.

Uninstall the ZA Pro using the " /clean" uninstall" " /clean" before installing the second ZA. Each ZA version is a complete program and it is best not to get things mixed up.

If you decide to go with the (Avira) or use the (Privoxy) let me know - I may be able to offer some tips.
    And of course for the

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

karenjg Guest

Thank you again! "Clean uninstall" instructions are printed and at the ready...

Haven't decided on the other programs yet, my first priority is to get a permanent firewall in place. Best to do that now, before I do any more "customizing" in the trial version. (You can do a LOT of customizing in two days, if you put your mind to it.)

WOW if you can customize everything in two days, then you are fast!
    Still trying to figure out how and which way and never reach an end.
    Still tweaking windows for that matter and still know there are always a few things left to do.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

karenjg Guest

Well, not everything! But several of my favorite sites require "exceptions" to the standard ad/mobile code blocking in order to work properly.

And, of course, there are new Opera tweaks to learn, too. (Upgraded to the latest after the move.) Anyway, there'll always be new stuff to do and old stuff to redo, but, my point is, I might as well get my permanent version now, before I have even more stuff to redo.

ZA Tip.
    After installing the ZA, and getting it more or less settled down and before actually going anywhere to the internet first set the Privacy to allow everything, Things such as the private headers. first & second cookies (session) and permanent cookies, scripts of all or any kind, etc. And then visit all sites that are the favorites such as logins, web mail, forums, download sites, etc.
    Once you have done that and the "needed" sites are all listed, then first make a backup of the ZA, and then set the ZA's Privacy sliders to High. Now the internet junk sites are blocked off for unwanted content.

Opera tweaks.
    I stick all of the tweaks in the Opera notes. Almost every tweak gets does get lost in every upgrade. The last upgrade cost me one half day to get all the tweaks back in place. I stick the tweaks, scripts and special tricks in the Opera's Note for safe keeping for the upgrades.

Look here for a nifty user javascript for blocking junk:

http://my.opera.com/Ghostshaw/blog/

I am using the "aaaa-filterset.g.js" a "Filterset based of filterset.g from pierceive.com" for a good user javascript for blocking ads/junk/ect. Nice neat script set into two divisions - a white and black array. Any unwanted ad or junk is easily added to the black array for blocking by javascript. Using the javacsript to remove does give a nicer page- the page is re-written nicely with no gaps or holes left over from the missing content. Pages look nice and smooth and even as a result.

Look here for a nifty user css for blocking junk:

http://my.opera.com/BleedingHeart/bl...d-blocking-css

Look here for Opera Tips:

http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Tips/tips.html

and his Opera Buttons tips:

http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Buttons/buttons.html

More Opera Tips:

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-30-2008 11:58 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

karenjg Guest

Oooh! Thank you for the cool sites to check out! Today's The Day (I hope) for the switchover, so I'll check them out afterwards. Please send positive vibes for a trouble-free switch!

Yes please post the outcome of the new ZA install.
    Any needed advice will be given for new problems even though I always give out a positive karma.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information