Thread: ZASS and Compatability with XP SP3 Install ?

krackatoa Guest

Default ZASS and Compatability with XP SP3 Install ?

I am preparing to install XP SP3 on 3 computers in the near future.Any special bug a boos I need to be aware of before attempting this?
    Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!Krackatoa
    My ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956215667
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4295
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: ZASS and Compatability with XP SP3 Install ?

I personally turned off the anti-virus in my ZASS before installing SP3 and had no problems. If you want to be absolutely safe, uncheck "Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup", reboot, then install SP3. And then, of course, remember to recheck the option after starting ZASS again. A caution: SP3 takes a while to install so try to have more patience than me. At times it seems to be be doing nothing but rest assured, everything is fine. One thing that caused me consternation was during a download (I believe) where the progress bar never moved.

I did install SP3 without problems on computers with either the new 7.483 version of ZA or the older versions (as long as I did not install KB951748 [causing loss of internet access]; if KB951748 was installed, then installing ZA 7.483 solved the problem).

I agree with the comments of HammerNU: the whole process of installing WinXP SP3 is annoyingly long:
    - about 10-15 min before download would start (apparently, this corresponds to in depth examination of the computer to see what is needed and what should be avoided in SP2 installation, but there is no clear indication);
    - about 10 min of download (variable according to bandwith... no problem here ...
    - VERY slow install with, indeed, a long series of moment when the computers seems to do nothing...

Conclusion: you need almost 1 h free time to do the full upgrade... You could think about sending an invoice for 1h fo specialized work to MS, but I wonder whether you will get any reply...

krackatoa Guest

ptulkens and HammerNU ---
    very much appreciate your guidance.
    It would appear successful history of XP SP 3 downloads with current installation of ZASS (483.000) -- which I have successfully installed on our computers now thanks to Forum contributor guidance!
    ;-))
    I may try to download the 326MB file (XP SP3) to a CD first, and then try the install vice turning anything off in ZASS--- although that may not be an option as ptulkens indicates Microsoft is accomplishing an indepth review of your computer with the SP2 during the process----
    Best option I guess is to ensure a good backup, then attach myself to the Microsoft site and pray the download goes well......
    have snack and soda available for the duration..... since I've 2 laptops and 1 PC that need the SP3.

I like the idea of sending a bill for my time to Microsoft---- ;-)).
    Much thanks to the both of you for your quick response.

Krackatoa
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956274392
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4305
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

hammernu Guest

You're welcome. Glad it went successfully.

Thread Information