Thread: extremely slow startup/browser connection

vrame Guest

Default extremely slow startup/browser connection

I've been using ZA suite for years now without any problems until recently. It used to take me a minute or so for ZA to start & connect to the internet. Now it takes at least 5 or 10 minutes to do so! First, ZA takes minutes just to load, then it takes a few more minutes for the generic host process to load. Then Firefox opens but takes about 3-5 minutes for my homepage to pop up. Overall, everything I try to do takes almost twice as long as it used to. But, when I shut down ZA my speed goes back to normal. I'm not sure what has caused this but I hope someone may know a fix for it. Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

I use ZA 6 for a few reasons. When I first updated to 7 my scan times doubled so I switched back. Then, I decided to try it again & my PC wouldn't start at all! So 6 it is for me.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-virus Vet engine version:31.1.0.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:31.1.6007.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4325
    AntiSpam version:4.8.2.7565

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by vrame on 08-04-2008 01:26 PM

Default Re: extremely slow startup/browser connection

A recent Microsoft Update for Windows XP and Windows 2000, Caused Sever Internet Conectivity problems, which were Fixed by ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000<H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">Critical Issue (7/8/2008) Windows update (KB951748) causing loss of internet access.
    </H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">NewZoneAlarm versions posted for allproducts Click here to download</H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"></H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">7.0.483.000 was released to the public on July 10, 2008. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.
    </H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"></H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 32-Bit version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956592198
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4325 &lt;== New Update
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903</H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"></H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"></H3><H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"></H3>
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

vrame Guest

I have seen that before &amp; have already uninstalled the windows update. My issue isn't an inability to connect, but the time it takes to. For some reason I cannot install version 7 anyway. As I stated above, my previous try resulted in a system restore due to an inability to start my PC. Thank you for the quick reply though.

Tnak you for your Reply..It sounds like you have some Software or Problem with Win XP that is preventing ZASS 7.0 from Installing..1,.) ZASS 7.0 Requires WinXP Service Pack two or SP3..2.) It seems that Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA. There is a known issue that PC Tools is investigating where the Spyware Doctor causes excess CPU usage for vsmon.exe.3.) - other security software that does not play nice with ZoneAlarm . - anti-spyware: Spysweeper, SpywareDoctor, CounterSpy, SpyCatcher,etc.= these should be temporarily shut-off/ shut-downprior to installing ZA; monitoring/performance software - system mechanics, norton utilties/ backups/ ghosts 4.) I just did aClean Uninstall: (and everything works OK..(you may have to go into Program Control and check the settings for your other programs..)Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....
    5.) Download a Current Copy of Zone Alarm Security Suite from
    ZA website in the release history section.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

6.) Go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup"
    7.) Reboot Computer to Remove Zone Alarm drivers from Memory..
    8.) Temporarily shut down any other AV/AS Security programs that May Conflict with ZA Install

9..) Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    - Reboot

Using something like this Freeware CCleaner &lt;--- http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
    , will help do the cleanup as well on both the Hard drive and the Registry .

Now You can Re-install the ZA program. Accept the default setting and choose TRUSTED ZONE and not the INTERNET ZONE..follow on screen instructions..Good Luck..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 32-Bit version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956592198
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4325 &lt;== New Update
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security