Thread: Can't shut zone alarm off

freon Guest

Default Can't shut zone alarm off

I have deleted everything I can find that was associated with zone alarm. The win xp security center
    where you can turn on/off the m.s default firewall has an indicator that says that zone alarm is on. I suppose true vector is somehow still active even thou I have deleted registry entries,files etc. Everything I can find on
    any website including this one. I only have norton orporate antivirus running.
    Nothing else. Anyone got any ideas

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Can't shut zone alarm off

If you are trying to un-install ZA Free - try this...click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=103<hr>or &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=77605<hr>or &gt; http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...tallNonNT.html<hr>One of the 'important factors' is
    &gt; on your current ZA &gt; go to &quot;Overview&quot; &gt; Preferences &gt; General - &quot;uncheck the box for&quot; = 'Load ZoneAlarm at startup' &gt; click once, wait - it may take a few
    seconds for it to register, but it will clear the box.[*]
    Please restart/ reboot. This will help prevent 'true vector issues' for upgrades/ installs and un-installs.<hr>Before you leave would you mind deleting two of your posts...[*]http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=51563#M51563

http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=51564#M51564<ul>[/list][/list]<hr>sign-in &gt; go to each post/ link &gt; see &quot;Thread Options v &quot; &gt; Delete Message &gt; Confirm.

freon Guest

Default Re: Can't shut zone alarm off ( new post)

I have deleted enough of the program files that zone alarm appears no where in the system that I can find.
    Not in the system tray in the lower right hand corner. Not in &quot;start&quot; &quot; all programs&quot; or in system 32
    Or in the registry that I can find. I did a &quot;search' and came up zilch. Still the security center declares that zone alarm is active. I have rebooted the system but no change.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Can't shut zone alarm off ( new post)

During your un-install attempt did you &quot;go to &quot;Overview&quot; &gt; Preferences &gt; General - &quot;uncheck the box for&quot; = 'Load ZoneAlarm at startup' ?

freon Guest

Default Re: un install screw up ( new post)

No, It did'nt. I just did a regular uninstall like on most programs. I had no idea there was any need to do anything different. So now that I'm messed up, any way to fix this short of &quot;format c:\&quot;
    Been there ,dun that guess once more won't kill me. It is a cure all. It mighta been less time consuming
    than trying to fix what I got now. It all started when I updated zone alarm and then tryed to reboot
    All the system would do is continuously try to load windows , then reboot to the p o s t screen.
    So I figured, delete the zone alarm and try to reboot with out it.

Message Edited by freon on 08-05-2008 11:19 PM

naivemelody Guest

Here try this un-install instruction... &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=73124#M73124

zaswing Guest

NaiveMelody answered.
    I'll pitch in some more.
    It is a mistake to use Add/Remove programs when an application such as ZA and many, many, many really decent ones have an uninstaller provided tight in the program files list. So that's my comment on your &quot;No, It did'nt. I just did a regular uninstall like on most programs. I had no idea there was any need to do anything different. So now that I'm messed up, any way to fix this short of &quot;format c:\&quot; where I assume you used add/remove. That is doomed. Always doomed when a service such as vsmon runs and needs to be closed properly. That's why good applications provide their own uninstallers. The crummy ones don't.

Perhaps the fix at this point might be to install ZA once again and then uninstall it according to instructions which include changing the uninstall shortcut to use the /clean switch.
    Formatting a drive in such situations is a big overkill in my opinion.

freon Guest

Default final resolution 8-9-09

I read and performed all uninstalling procedures I found on the forum. Unfortunately
    the M.S. security system indicator still says that zone alarm is on. Whether that is make or
    break i have no idea. Probably a software engineer would know. I did try to reinstall zone
    alarm but the dialog box said it could not find some file needed to do the reinstall.

So at this point I see no choice but to reformat and start over.
    All the responses are much appreciated. There are just to many unknowns and no way to
    troubleshoot the problems with the limited knowledge I have and the help I have access to.
    Thanks to all.

Default Re: final resolution 8-9-09

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>freon wrote:
    I read and performed all uninstalling procedures I found on the forum. Unfortunately
    the M.S. security system indicator still says that zone alarm is on. Whether that is make or
    break i have no idea. Probably a software engineer would know. I did try to reinstall zone
    alarm but the dialog box said it could not find some file needed to do the reinstall.

So at this point I see no choice but to reformat and start over.
    All the responses are much appreciated. There are just to many unknowns and no way to
    troubleshoot the problems with the limited knowledge I have and the help I have access to.
    Thanks to all.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Re-Formating rhe Hard Drive is Over Kill IMHO,The failure of Windows Security Center to Acknowledge Zone Alarm is IMHO, a Cosmetic issue.. WSC is designed to Recognise Windows Firewall and Symantec Security, But sometimes will Recognize Zone Alarm.. If ZoneAlarm Main Menu / Overview section says "You are Protected, No Action Needed" then you are OK..However here is a Fix for the WSC Window Bug..usually this can be fixed by simply:1. Right click on the ZA icon near the clock and shutdown ZA2. Wait 2-3 minutes3. Start ZA from all programs --&gt; ZoneAlarm --&gt; ZoneAlarm SecurityGood Luck..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 32-Bit version:7.0.483.000

TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956915972
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4365 &lt;== New Update
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903--------------------------------------------------------

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information