Thread: Strange PC issue

concerned_user Guest

Default Strange PC issue

Could ZA be causing this:

August 22, 2008 10:30:23 AM

My computer has developed a strange set of 'symptoms'. The first thing I noticed, was I tried to run Scan Disk (as routine maintenance, it had been fine) and after rebooting it said it was running and instantly said 'disk check was canceled'. It now does this every time I try. I don't have a stuck key; the keyboard seems fine, and dell diagnostics found no keyboard or hard drive issues. In MS One Note, the highlighter pen won't work. When I click, my pointer turns into a pen for a split second, then back to a pointer. At Windows live mail, the options menus will not stay open. I have a systray utility for keeping windows on top. When it is clicked the pointer turns into a push-pen until you click the title bar of the window you want to keep on top. Now the pointer just turns into a push-pin for a split second, then disappears. The windows screen- saver preview also quit working, and in another program with small pop-up type help windows, those won't stay open. It has also gotten slower responding when I type. Sometimes, it will not register 3 or 4 characters, then they show up at once. The other thing I have noticed is in My Computer, wen I right click on C: and click properties, it occasionally brings up Control Panel-System instead. This may not be related, because everything else I have listed is consistent, every time. Another possibly related problem is a third-pary program that has started giving "overflow" errors. This program isn't the cause, I have used it since the computer was new, and I'm not sure it's related because it seemed to start more recently than the other symptoms. I haven't installed any programs, or made any system changes that should cause this. I'm using Zone-alarm Anti-virus/Antispyware and firewall, as well as WIndows Defender. They have not detected any problems, and a full scan of both ZA and Defender showed nothing.

This has me stumped, any help is appreciated.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Strange PC issue

One way to find out if ZA is causing this is to uncheck "Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup", reboot, then see if the problems persist. But from the problems you listed, it doesn't sound like ZA.

I Googled your chkdsk problem and found the following suggestions:
    A malfunctioning wireless or USB keyboard can cause the problem
    The HDD
    firmware may be corrupted

One person's solution was to run chkdsk from the Microsoft Windows installation CD's Recovery Console. He only had to run it this way once. Then every time he ran it on a reboot, it worked fine. The command is: chkdsk /r

Message Edited by HammerNU on 08-22-2008 01:12 PM

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    Please Contact ZoneAlarm Tech Support for Free at www.zonealarm.com/tsform (preferably with IE7 Browser) and give them the Details you listed here, Pluse the details of your Computer, CPU, Memory, and what Version Zonealarm and Version Number andwhat version of Windows, Service Packs and updates applied and any other Security programs installed..When you Click on the Submit Button, you will receive an Auto-Generated Confirmation Email with your Case Number, and a Responce from Tech Support ASAP..If you do not receive the Email with your Case Number withing 30 minutes or so, Please check your Junk Mail folder for email from support @ zonelabs.com..Good Luck..Please post back here with your progress report..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.015.000 32-Bit (BETA)
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:957638772
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4445
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000

TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4445 <== New Update
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

concerned_user Guest

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I contacted tech support.
    I do have another question though, how would I find out if it is the HDD firmware, and is there any way of fixing that?
    I had already ran dell diagnostics and the hard-drive check showed no errors.
    Thanks

hammernu Guest

Honestly, I doubt that it's the hard disk firmware. You would need to go to the manufacturer's (Western Digital, Maxtor, etc.) website, probably click on the Support link, and see if they have any firmware listed. If I were you, I'd do what was first suggested: run chkdsk from your Windows installation CD's Recovery Console.

Hi Hammer NU, I think Thats a Good idea..Here another Idea..http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

concerned_user Guest

Thanks for the tips.
    I tried disabling ZA, and had the same problems.
    I guess it's not the cause.

Thread Information