Thread: My ZA programme access permissions are being changed after XP and NAV updates

gobeithiol Guest

Default My ZA programme access permissions are being changed after XP and NAV updates

I recently downloaded service pack 3 for Windows XP Home and at the start I was advised to remove Zone Alarm. I declined to do so; I use the free ZA (version 5.5.062.004). The same day I updated my Norton Antivirus software to NAV 2008 (I know, not a good idea to do two major updates the same day!!!). I now find that each time I switch my computer on, the access permissions in ZA have been removed and I am asked for permission e.g. for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express to access the internet. Which programme (XP service pack 3 or NAV 2008) is altering my ZA settings and how can I stop it happening?
    Gobeithiol

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

hammernu Guest

Default Re: My ZA programme access permissions are being changed after XP and NAV updates

Your ZoneAlarm database settings probably got corrupted. Do the following:
    1) Ctrl + Shift right-click on ZoneAlarm System Tray icon

2) Click Reset in popup box

3) Click Yes in Reset Settings dialog box

4) Click OK when prompted to reboot

5) Follow onscreen prompts after reboot

Note: the above database reset will cause any customized settings to be lost.

gobeithiol Guest

Default Re: My ZA programme access permissions are being changed after XP and NAV updates

Thanks for the suggestion HammerNU but there is no "Reset" option in the popup window. Note that my version of ZA is 5.5.062.004

Hi!
    your settings are probably corrupted, reset them:

Reboot into Safe Mode. Open Windows Explorer or another file manager, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs. Delete all resident files with these extensions: .RDB, .ldb, and .tmp. If you deleted these to the Recycle Bin, empty that now. This will reset the ZA configuration database removing all your custom settings. Reboot back into Normal mode. Open ZA and it will have its default settings as it was when you first installed it.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Gobeithiol wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion HammerNU but there is no "Reset" option in the popup window. Note that my version of ZA is 5.5.062.004
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sorry, That Built in Reset optopn Recomended by User HammerNU was Only Recently added to ZA Version 7.0.462.000This could be that ZoneALarms Database may have been corrupted somehow,thus affecting the logging and Program Permisions ,you may need to Reset the ZA database,
    BUT BE AWARE this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing the permission settings is a simple process.

Reset the database before Version 7.0.462.000 this way (You may have to do this in SAFE Mode)
    1. Shut down the ZA client from the system tray (Right click ZA icon choose shutdown)
    2. access the c:\windows\internet logs folder
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files.
    4. Restart Zone Alarm..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 32-Bit version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:957638772
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4465 &lt;== New Update
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

gobeithiol Guest

Many thanks guys. Problem solved.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Gobeithiol wrote:
    Many thanks guys. Problem solved.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your Welcome..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information