Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File system performance problem with ZA free 7.0.408+

mattias Guest

Default File system performance problem with ZA free 7.0.408+

I am a Java developer sometimes developing enterprise web applications on my home computer, where ZoneAlarm Free is installed.
    Some while back I upgraded ZoneAlarm from 7.0.337 to 7.0.408. This had a huge impact on the performance on the locally run web server (Resin from Caucho). When I finally realized ZA had caused this, I went back to 7.0.337.

So, the other day I was naive enough to think the problems had been fixed, so I upgraded to 7.0.483. Bad, bad idea... The local web server is incredibly slow again. After some debugging and profiling, it seems what is taking so long is the modification checking, in which the web server reads the modification date and file size of a couple of hundred/thousand files. Comparing office computer, the date/size requests take about 20 times longer time with ZoneAlarm 7.0.4xx installed.

Has anyone else seen this?
    Is there a setting in ZA that could affect this?
    Could this be a conflict with some other application? (Like AVG Free...?)
    Any tips on how to go about debugging and/or resolving this???

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: File system performance problem with ZA free 7.0.408+

Hi!
    have you tried with a trial version of ZAPRO and check if anything is logged in the ZAlogs, also ZAPRO comes free of antivirus components that may conflict with your system?

You could also try the new ZA 8, if anything may have improved meanwhile
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...eeDownload.jsp

Please remember that ZA does NOT support any version of windows XP prior to SP2. If you wish to use older unsecured XP installation downgrade to ZA 7.0.337.000

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 08-26-2008 09:06 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I agree with Guru Fax's Advice..ZAPro may Better fit your Needs..Here is a few more Facts on ZAFree for XP..to concider..Here is a Clue for Users of ZAFree for WinXP..all version of ZAFree for Win XP ever since the First ZAFree Ver. 7.0 contain the full Trial of ZA Security Suite.. 44.6Mb, nearly three times bigger than the original ZAFree Ver 6.0,this is a Marketing Ploy to offer Free users a chance to try the 15 day trial of the Full Security Suite, even though durring the Install process you can Decline the Free Trial of the Security Suite, the fact that the ZA Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware install modules are included in the ZAFree Install package will Conflict with any other Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware that you have pre-installed before installing ZAFree ..0.483.000 was released to the public on July 10, 2008. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.2.) Please note that ZAFree for XP does not always play nice with many security tools. For example, ad-aware, Ad-watch, AVG 8, spybotS&D, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper. For sure it cannot be installed if you have still another Antivirus software or Firewall (other than Windows Firewall) installed or active.

To troubleshoot ZAFree issues it is highly recommendedthat youremove all the above and install them back on (if you really need to) after your ZAFreeis installed and configured and runningas it should. If you have not installed any of the above ensure that NO left overs areon the system (they can conflict with the ZA install).Here is another tip:Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. It seems that Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA. There is a known issue that PC Tools is investigating where the Spyware Doctor causes excess CPU usage for vsmon.exe. This was really never a big deal for me, but apparently with the newest ZA update, this conflict has risen to a new level. If I disable Process Guard then ZA functions normally.
    You must go into ZA Overview/Preferences and UN-Check "Load ZoneAlarm Free on Startup"3. Reboot the Computer. 4. Install the new ZA update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

ZAFree for WinXP requires a minimum of Service Pack 2..Please Post back with your Progress Report..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 32-Bit version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:957638772
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4465 &lt;== New Update
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

mattias Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

Hi!
    have you tried with a trial version of ZAPRO ... ZAPRO comes free of antivirus components that may conflict with your system?

You could also try the new ZA 8, if anything may have improved meanwhile</blockquote>

(Sorry I haven't had time to get back on this)

Thanks for the good advice! I tried the Pro version, and it was problem free. I also tried activating the Internet Security Suite trial of the free version, turned everything in there off plus uninstalled AVG. Still same problem. So obviously something in the Free/ISS version is causing this.
    At least in version 7.0.408 or later. Downgrading to 7.0.377 puts everything back to normal!

However, I have been unable to find anything about ZA 8. The link provided still led to the 7.0 download (at least for me).

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>mattias wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>fax wrote:

Hi!
    have you tried with a trial version of ZAPRO ... ZAPRO comes free of antivirus components that may conflict with your system?

You could also try the new ZA 8, if anything may have improved meanwhile</BLOCKQUOTE>

(Sorry I haven't had time to get back on this)

Thanks for the good advice! I tried the Pro version, and it was problem free. I also tried activating the Internet Security Suite trial of the free version, turned everything in there off plus uninstalled AVG. Still same problem. So obviously something in the Free/ISS version is causing this.
    At least in version 7.0.408 or later. Downgrading to 7.0.377 puts everything back to normal!

However, I have been unable to find anything about ZA 8. The link provided still led to the 7.0 download (at least for me).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) I guess you did not read my Clue to ZA Free response..ZAFree 7.0 may have problems installing with other pre-Installed Security programs..2.) Sorry, ZAFree version 8.0 is not available yet.. Checkpoint always provides New Update Versions to it's Paying customers first..The Free Version 8.0 will be available some time Later, probably when the Automatic Update Notice is Turned ON, usually 30 days later..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.015.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:958225331
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4505
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    GeorgeV

mattias Guest

<blockquote>GeorgeV wrote:
    1.) I guess you did not read my Clue to ZA Free response..
    ZAFree 7.0 may have problems installing with other pre-Installed Security programs..
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes I did. That is part of why I tried uninstalling AVG. But as I said, it still didn't work without AVG, plus something obviously has changed between 7.0.377 and 7.0.408 (for which there is no official changelist...).

Here is the ChangeList for ZAFree from the ZA ReleasedHistory Page..<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.483.000 name=7.0.483.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.483.000<UL class=body><LI>Compatibility with Microsoft Update KB951748 has been fixed </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.473.000 name=7.0.473.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.473.000<UL class=body><LI>Compatibility improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed compatibility issue with public beta of ForceField </LI>[/list]<LI>Other improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Various stability improvements. </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.470.000 name=7.0.470.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.470.000<UL class=body><LI>Usability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed the issue where in some cases the client would lose settings, causing user to respond to alerts that otherwise would not appear <LI>Prevent unnecessary error dialog to be displayed for non-Admin users <LI>Client can now be started in safe mode (with networking only) for antivirus scan and removal </LI>[/list]<LI>Compatibility improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Enable content filtering and privacy when ForceField is active <LI>Fixed the Spy Doctor Gate to only gate for 5.0 and earlier <LI>Free ZoneAlarm firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro can now co-exist with Kaspersky AV </LI>[/list]<LI>Various other stability and performance improvements </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time</LI>[/list]<LI>Compatibility improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Verified compatibility with Windows XP SP3 <LI>Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues</LI>[/list]<LI>Compatibility: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software</LI>[/list]<LI>New Features: <UL class=body><LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Added optional Spy Blocker toolbar for IE and Firefox which blocks spyware distribution sites and offers convenient search functionality</LI>[/list]<LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.362.000 name=7.0.362.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.362.000<UL class=body><LI>Stability and performance enhancements: Various improvements. <LI>Compatibility enhancements: Works with Netflix's Downloading service. </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.337.000 name=7.0.337.000 target=_blank></A>New and improved ZoneAlarm version 7.0.337.000<P class=headblack2>--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:958504813
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4515
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    GeorgeV

mattias Guest

I know. And the changes for 7.0.408 (when problems began) are still missing.

Hi!

are you running XP prior to SP2?
    There were some changes in core elements of windows and ZA was also changed and thus not anymore supporting any version of XP before SP1.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:958506794
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4515
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957I agree with Guru Fax..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on
    Time marches on, for both Windows, ZoneAlarm, and many other Security Programs..In todays Software Industry, you need to keep up with all needed Updates, or be left behind..Newer Versions of ZoneAlarm and Other Security Programs are Designed to work with the Latest Updates to Windows,ZoneAlarm ever since 7.0.4 was programed to work with Windows Service Pack 2..
    GeorgeV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information