Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% CPU in 3 situations

bobps Guest

Default 100% CPU in 3 situations

The 3 situations are as follows: (1) any USB device activated (2) CD's, DVD's inserted (3) uploading photos to internet.
    ZoneAlarm goes to 100% CPU and stays there whenever I use any device on my USB port. Examples are printer, digital camera uploads and USB hard drive used for system backups. The system becomes impossible to use unless I turn off the ZoneAlarm Security Suite (I'm running version 7.0.483.000 on WIndows XP SP3). No other security software is installed on my system. I've read all search results for previous !00% CPU cases and find they either don't apply or are outdated by version.
    Case 2, 100% CPU for CD's or DVD's inserted, causes the same symptoms and is only "solved" by turning off the ZASS. In some cases I'm loading a blank disk for formatting, other cases involve inserting a known CD or DVD that is completely trusted.
    Case 3, trying to upload photos to a website such as Snapfish for sharing with friends, causes the same symptoms, and also causes the uploads to fail because of too much time between handshaking for the internet upload protocol.
    These situations are causing lots of headaches and making my computer extremely difficult to use for what should be routine uses of a home PC. It's impossible to even clean the inkjet heads on my printer or print pages from a website because of the dilemma of becoming unprotected while connected to the web.
    I hope someone has a solution or can guide me to a thread that has suggestions. I should mention that my install, after a clean deinstall of my previous Symantec security suite, was completely clean. ZoneAlarm has other quirks but the above described situation is not a minor flaw.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance that may help.Bob K

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: 100% CPU in 3 situations

You said you completely uninstalled your previous Symantec (Norton) Security Suite. Did you also download and run their special uninstaller? If not, that could be the problem.

Do the following:
    1)
    Do a clean uninstall of ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    2)
    Download and run the Norton Removal Tool: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154
    3)
    Install Zonealarm Security Suite, preferably the latest version, 8.0.015.0:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

bobps Guest

Yes, I was well aware of the difficulty of completely removing the Norton suite - I downloaded their latest uninstall tool and used it for the uninstall. So that shouldn't be a factor. But thanks for the suggestion; you're right, it wouldn't have been a complete uninstall otherwise.

hammernu Guest

Your ZoneAlarm database may be corrupted. Do the following:
    1) Ctrl + Shift right-click on ZoneAlarm System Tray icon

2) Click Reset in popup box

3) Click Yes in Reset Settings dialog box

4) Click OK when prompted to reboot

5) Follow onscreen prompts after reboot

bobps Guest

HammerNU, I'm very intrigued by your suggestion but a little tentative about trying it without knowing more about the ramifications. Can you tell me more about the effects or direct me to a thread that describes it in more detail?
    By the way, I just looked in the User's Guide for info but found none. I appreciate the recommendation and am leaning towards doing it.
    Thanks.Bob K.

bobps Guest

As an addition to the post I just put up, should I just go ahead and upgrade to ZASS 2009? Would that be about the same amount of trouble as resetting ZA? And more to the point, would that have a better chance of solving
    my original post with the listed problems?

hammernu Guest

Sorry for the delay in replying. A database reset simply resets all ZoneAlarm settings to the point immediately following an install. You will lose any custom settings you have. It's no different than installing a new version, only quicker.

You mention ZoneAlarm 2009. You're probably referring to a boxed copy of ZoneAlarm. Actually, ZoneAlarm typically issues a new release every 3 to 6 months which can be accessed on the website. The current version, just released several days ago, is version 8.0.015.0. It's running just fine for me and others with one warning (from me): Windows shutdown times are increased by approximately one minue. I'm sure this will be corrected in a subsequent release but if you don't want to experience it, you can upgrade to the prior version, 7.0 483.0. Since you never mentioned which version you have installed, I'm making general recommenadations.

You can always download any version by following these links:
    www.zonealarm.com

Support (click on Support, not the dropdown entries)

Product-Specific Support (click on product)

Release History (at bottom of page)

The accepted way to install a new version, assuming you're not having any serious ZoneAlarm problems, is as follows:1) Uncheck "Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup"
    (Overview > Preferences)2) Reboot3) Install new version; when prompted, choose either
    "clean" or "upgrade" install (the latter keeps any customized settings)

firstfractal Guest

With USB devices, the 100% CPU is often caused by the fact that on-access virus scanning is scanning all the files on the newly-mounted USB flash-drive. If you have "low speed" USB, the problem is compounded. You can speed things up by setting setting an exemption for the drive letter of the USB device (if you are sure it has no viruses!). It can also help (under some circumstances) to set the max file size of files that it scans to the default of 8meg (if it has been set higher)--though on-access scanning ignores the file-size limits, I believe.

bobps Guest

HammerNU, thank you again; clear explanation.
    As to the 2009 ZASS, I found this post about the upgrade to version 8 between my previous posts;http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=53647
    Which tied the two together, and as a subscriber gave me the opportunity to upgrade.
    Also, I just received a reply from tech support about
    their recommendation to
    solve my problem -
    it involved going to the upgrade and detailed instructions were offered about how to save my current settings. It's tempting to do the reset, given that it'll take less time, but I think I'll set aside an afternoon later this week and go ahead with the upgrade.
    I should've included the version I'm currently
    using which is 7.0.483.000. Sorry for the omission. Your thoroughness is great by the way.
    Many thanks,Bob K.

bobps Guest

That's useful info.
    <blockquote><hr>FirstFractal wrote:
    With USB devices, the 100% CPU is often caused by the fact that on-access virus scanning is scanning all the files on the newly-mounted USB flash-drive. If you have &quot;low speed&quot; USB, the problem is compounded. You can speed things up by setting setting an exemption for the drive letter of the USB device (if you are sure it has no viruses!). It can also help (under some circumstances) to set the max file size of files that it scans to the default of 8meg (if it has been set higher)--though on-access scanning ignores the file-size limits, I believe.
    <hr></blockquote>I'm focused particularly on your advice about setting an exemption for the drive letter; if I could do that it would be extremely helpful. But how is it done? Is there a particular part of the User's Guide that describes doing that? I've done searches in the past in the guide on devices with that motive in mind but haven't found anything. Would you please elaborate?
    Thanks, Bob K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information