Thread: Alert! Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.015.000 can cause Photoshop to hang on loading

firstfractal Guest

Default Alert! Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.015.000 can cause Photoshop to hang on loading

I just went through an EXTREMELY hellish 10 hours troubleshooting, figuring this one out all by myself. So I thought I'd share the solution with you guys (and hopefully the ZA programmers read this too!).

I found that after Installing ZAISS v8.0.015.00, Photoshop v7.0.1 would take about 20 minutes to load (it took under 10 seconds with ZAISS v7.0.483.000).

After selectively turning off certain parts of Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite, I was able to narrow it down to the on-access virus scanning. After hours more work (and using a very helpful utility called "Process Explorer" ), I was able to narrow it down to the on-access scanning by Zone Alarm of the DLL files of my printer (in my case, an HP DeskJet 4260) that were being loaded/accessed by Photoshop as it was loading--convoluted, I know!

The solution (or, a solution), is to make an exception for the following directory in Zone Alarm's virus scanner "advanced options", "exceptions":
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\

Now Photoshop loads in about 6 seconds!

Additional Notes:

-- I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 512MB or RAM.

-- I don't know if other versions of Photoshop are affected.

-- I also don't know if the same problem would happen with other printer drivers.

-- Some difference in the virus scanning engine between ZAISS v7.0.483.000 and ZAISS v8.0.015.00, must have something to do with the problem. It could also be related to the way Photoshop interacts with printer drivers--or at least these particular ones... hard to say...

If you have this problem, and depend on Photoshop for your livelihood (like I do), it will pretty much destroy your will to live. So I wanted to make sure people have an answer.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by FirstFractal on 09-02-2008 06:53 PM

mperez Guest

Default Re: Alert! Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.015.000 can cause Photoshop to hang on loading

<blockquote><hr>FirstFractal wrote:
    I just went through an EXTREMELY hellish 10 hours troubleshooting, figuring this one out all by myself. So I thought I'd share the solution with you guys (and hopefully the ZA programmers read this too!).

I found that after Installing ZAISS v8.0.015.00, Photoshop v7.0.1 would take about 20 minutes to load (it took under 10 seconds with ZAISS v7.0.483.000).

After selectively turning off certain parts of Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite, I was able to narrow it down to the on-access virus scanning. After hours more work (and using a very helpful utility called &quot;Process Explorer&quot; ), I was able to narrow it down to the on-access scanning by Zone Alarm of the DLL files of my printer (in my case, an HP DeskJet 4260) that were being loaded/accessed by Photoshop as it was loading--convoluted, I know!

The solution (or, a solution), is to make an exception for the following directory in Zone Alarm's virus scanner &quot;advanced options&quot;, &quot;exceptions&quot;:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\

Now Photoshop loads in about 6 seconds!

Additional Notes:

-- I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 512MB or RAM.

-- I don't know if other versions of Photoshop are affected.

-- I also don't know if the same problem would happen with other printer drivers.

-- Some difference in the virus scanning engine between ZAISS v7.0.483.000 and ZAISS v8.0.015.00, must have something to do with the problem. It could also be related to the way Photoshop interacts with printer drivers--or at least these particular ones... hard to say...

If you have this problem, and depend on Photoshop for your livelihood (like I do), it will pretty much destroy your will to live. So I wanted to make sure people have an answer.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by FirstFractal on 09-02-2008 06:53 PM
    <hr></blockquote>
    THANKS A MILLION! I don't think I would have had the patience to get to this solution. It looks a bit scary (exempting ALL drivers), but it'll do for now. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS.

lalittle Guest

Default Re: Alert! Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.015.000 can cause Photoshop to hang on loading

Doesn't this, however, pose an admittedly
    &quot;specific&quot; but still
    potentially obvious security risk?
    Couldn't somebody design malware that utilized that folder to launch from, thereby giving it a &quot;free pass&quot; as far as the scanner was concerned?
    I've been
    debating whether or not to take this
    &quot;exclusion&quot;
    approach recently, so I'm curious about
    the situation you described, and the concept of AV scanner &quot;exclusions&quot;
    in general.
    It's always struck me
    as a potentially dangerous loophole.
    On this note, wouldn't it be better to exclude the specific &quot;problem files&quot; rather than a whole folder?
    Thanks,
    Larry

firstfractal Guest

Actually, this is ONE very small directory, containing about 10 DLLs, all of which belong to my printer drivers (IT'S NOT ALL THE DRIVERS!).

AND they get scanned every time the scanner does its scheduled scan...

And you can easily scan the directory before exempting it.

This is 10 DLLs out of about 140,000 (average) files that a person tends to have on their PC. Since I am very carefull about what I download, the chances of this one directory getting infected and causing more problems than the HUGE one ZAISS v8 was already causing are about 1,000,000,000 to 1.

I would have exempted the specific files, but as far as I can tell, most of the ones in that directory need to be excepted for my problem to be fixed anyway, and I had already spent 10 hours getting it THAT narrowed down, and didn't feel like spending any more effort on it considering how insignificant the directory (and how HUGE the scanner problem) was to begin with.

Also, it is very likely that the next version of ZASS v8 will fix it, and I can remove the exemption.

I agree totally that exemptions shouldn't be necessary if the scanner is well built. But in this SPECIFIC case the scanner was worse than most viruses and I need to keep getting work done!

Note: This should only be done IF you are having the specific problem I was having. Otherwise, it's a non-issue!
    But if you ARE having this specific issue, then this fix is a (temporary) lifesaver, and since it took me SOOOO long to figure it out, I decided to share it, so that people would have at least SOME solution.

firstfractal Guest

You're welcome! I'm glad it helped!

Note, this is NOT ALL DRIVERS! Just a small handful of printer DLLs (read my longer explanation in this same thread).

Also, you only need to do this if you are having the same SPECIFIC problem I was having.

stifler Guest

Please! could anybody help me....Please..i have the same problem..Whenever i run Adobe photoshop and open a picture the picture keeps on loading and then hangs..and then when i close zone alarm..and do those steps again..its back to normal again...I can photoshop and the picture loading takes place fast in 6 seconnds..
    Please i don't want to turn off zone alarm all the time when i want to do photoshoping..so help is there any way to make photoshop load faster..

lalittle Guest

Does the same thing happen with the newest beta version of ZA?
    Thanks,
    Larry

Thread Information