Thread: Processes continue running after shutdown in Task Manager

ccdussault Guest

Default Processes continue running after shutdown in Task Manager

Hello all
    I have had a persistent problem with Zonealarm and was hoping that this new version would have fised it but it seems not to be the case. I have noticed that certain programs, perticullarly any programs that use internet access (Internet Explorer, BitTorrent, Outlook), after you close the programs they often continue to be running if you open the task manager. Is that a problem with the configuration? I checked also if this was a specific problem limited to my laptop but it also seems to be holding up on my desktop. I never had this problem with Windows XP but in Vista I strugle with ZA. Can anyone help?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jongar Guest

Default Re: Processes continue running after shutdown in Task Manager

The problem with bitttorent apps and Vista
    has been discussed many times.
    Zonealarm promised some time ago that it would be fixed in "the next major release", which should mean 8.0.
    I am waiting for the next release before pushing the button on my upgrade. When I do I will be doing a full manual clean un/install to be sure I have no hangover from 7.1. I would suggest you do the same.
    However, if you are right and 8.0 still does not resolve this issue it will finally push me to move away from Zonealarm on all systems. There is simply no excuse for such a basic bug continuing for a full 12 months.

jongar Guest

The problem appears fixed here after a complete 27-step clean and install. If you have not done that already I would suggest it. Performance still needs improvement but so far I would say a step forward from v7.

jongar Guest

Sorry to say I was wrong. No doubt v8
    is more resilient than v7, but it still seems to have the same fundamental weakness under Vista - give it long enough and throw enough connections at it and it falls over. And open enough connections and the performance falls through the floor, even before it actually falls over. I can only believe that this is a core weakness in its design rather than
    a "bug", since it has been there for over a year now, has been raised by many people, has been raised by me several times with the beta team and still it remains.
    (To Mods: I know this is a repeat of a post to another thread, but I have posted here so the OP will see it if he has asked for alerts. I promise I am not spamming the forum!)

ccdussault Guest

I was going to add what you mentioned in your last post. Admitedly the system seems to be running more stable but the fundamental flaws in ZA seem to persist. And I have to say that I do not even have to try hard to get unwanted results. Since I use a labtop I normally have a few more background processes running then my desktop which should not change the fact that if I turn off any torrent software the program does not shut down. I have not had any more of the IE crashes which tended to also hang up the system but I have to admit that I am a little disapointed with ZA. Admitadly I am hating Vista much more at the moment so that my disapointment is diminished (I have a nvlddmkm.sys crash issue. If you know what that means I assume that you will be able to sympathize) but I still have to say that with the amount of input that ZA has on the issue one would assume that ZA would put their heads together and get something done about it.

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..VERY IMPORTANT: Please Report the details of your Problem Directly to ZA Tech Support for FREE at www.zonealarm.com/tsform (preferably withIE Browser)The more Users that Report thisutorrentproblem directly to Tech Support, with their Details and what they did to try and resolve the issue, the Sooner Tech support will find a FIX for the problem..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 7th, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information