Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.020...

rmorra Guest

Default Re: I just installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.020...

I am having similar problems with 8.0.020.000. I downloaded it after after receiving an update notice from ZoneLabs. I updated from 7.0.483.000. The required reboot went OK, but Windows (XP Pro SP3) stalled on on subsequent shutdowns. Windows stalled repeatedly on shutdown: sometimes it would stall on "Saving your settings...", sometimes on "Windows is shutting down...". Sometimes it would shut down after 3 or more minutes; sometimes it wouldn't.

I tried doing a clean reinstall of 8.0.020.000. Same results.

I reverted to a clean install of 7.0.483.000 (I had saved the installation program), and now I can shut down in a few seconds again.

BTW: 8.0.020.000 would not let me revert to 7.0.483.000. I needed to uninstall 8.0.020.000 first.

Hi!no, works fine.. try to reset the settings:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jyste Guest

Why do you send out versions that are not supported? I got a message about a new version and installed it. Now I have problems with shutting down Windows.I intend to go back to version 7.0.483.... again and hope for a better version later!

youngjm Guest

Still waiting for the shutdown issue to be resolved. Sure seams to be more wide spread. Hopefully we will see a fix soon! For now version 7 is the way to go!

joedon Guest

I just got the update notice for 80_020_000)en.exe today via ZA7 startup.
    I downloaded the update and shut my modem off and shut down ZA7.
    I got a message that ZA8 cannount install because I need hotfix 943232 from Microsoft.
    I said...uh..oh....I dun like dat.....So I fired ZA7 back up and went to the ZA forum (here) and learned others had the same problem....beta software....SP3.....943232 not listed on Microsoft site....people weitching back to ZA7.....on and on and on.....
    I never had this experience with ZA before.....Wha hoppen?????????

EDIT:
    Windows XP Home SP2

Message Edited by joedon on 09-05-2008 07:59 AM

halmayne Guest

Yes but why is that we have to do this reset for every blasted update as this is basically a clean install, so why even give the user the option to do either?
    Plus I am not convined this will fix the slow down problems. This never worked with the prior version when ZA goes to Maximum mode and the scanning process started, which caused the never-ending
    warning
    dialogs. I had to continually re-set to auto-learn, or set to a lower less secure setting.
    I swtiched to ZASS earlier this year because Norton had become such a pain the a#$ to use and now ZASS is moving into that same category. If it continues I will definitely move to a new product.

<blockquote><hr>halmayne wrote:
    Yes but why is that we have to do this reset
    <hr></blockquote>

Personally I never had to do reset with any version of ZA 5,6,7 and 8.
    May be it has happened once? Don't even remember...

Usually it dependents on local conditions. Dirty XP installations, messy registry, other tools like registry or defrag tools running, XP not releasing the executables, other overlapping antivirus/antispyware tools, etc...

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

teslawriter Guest

Hi there,
    I'm having variation of these two problems, plus one I've not seen here before.
    First, the common problems I'm having, since I downloaded 80_020_000, last night:
    "I did an upgrade and now find that when the computer times out I can't get the machine to reboot, it seems to go into a deep sleep and wont allow me to log on; I have to hot boot the compueter to get it up and running again. Is it easy to remove this update?"
    and
    "I am having similar problems with 8.0.020.000. I downloaded it after after receiving an update notice from ZoneLabs. I updated from 7.0.483.000. The required reboot went OK, but Windows (XP Pro SP3) stalled on on subsequent shutdowns. Windows stalled repeatedly on shutdown: sometimes it would stall on &quot;Saving your settings...&quot;, sometimes on &quot;Windows is shutting down...&quot;. Sometimes it would shut down after 3 or more minutes; sometimes it wouldn't."
    Now, having said the above, I do not know what version of ZA I was using before this, but I suspect it was the same version of ZASS 7 that others mention, as I always did every automatic update recommended to me.
    The additional problems I'm having are:
    1. If I keep working within a session, everything is fine, but if it sits until the screen saver engages, then, it will not &quot;wake up&quot;--rather, it goes to a blue screen (not &quot;Safe Mode&quot; but the blue screen on my Quosmio that shoes the both users' profiles, and/or possibly the &quot;Saving Your Settings&quot; screen. Then, it will sit, seemingly indefinitely, until I close the computer (laptop) and reopen it, TWICE.
    At this point, the screen goes black; then, upon reopening for a third time, the system will &quot;wake up&quot; and be back on my open sessions page, showing the multiple browswer windows I had open.

2. It's very slow, at some times.
    3. Many, many sites (including www.rawstory.com!) ARE CLOSED OFF TO ME!
    The sites appear to load, and then I get a &quot;Done&quot; in the bottom, left corner of the browser (IE with Windows XP for an op. system, SP 2 or 3, actually, I think) and most of the screen is just white.
    Pushing my screen savor to a 20 min. interval before it kicks in helped some, and once in a while, the screensavor will correctly fade away upon new activity, and I'll be routed quickly through the &quot;blue screen&quot; to my open sessions, as is normal, but that is rare.
    I tried to create an account at ZA, and thought I did so, as they sent me a confirming email;
    however, I could not activate the account, using the password given.
    Does anyone have a solution for this?
    I did not &quot;save Version 7 of ZA&quot; unless I did so inadvertently--can someone tell me how I can reload the previous version of ZA 7?
    Months ago, ZA didn't even HAVE a forum--this one here was the only extant.
    Is this &quot;account&quot; ZA said I created an avenue to a forum such as this, albeit an &quot;official&quot; forum?
    Or what, exactly, do you get if you can successfully &quot;navigate&quot; yourself into a ZA &quot;account&quot;?
    Thanks for any and all of your help!
    Teslawriter

teslawriter Guest

Update:
    In the time it took to draft the previous message, a session I had failed to reach www.rawstory.com with, and had left sitting, with a mostly white screen, as described above, DID load during the several minutes I was writing my previous post here.
    And then, the instant I clicked on a story on Raw, it immediately went back to a white screen, where it is just sitting.
    This tells me that the computer is trying to work, but it is taking, say, 5 minutes for each new screen to load--**bleep**?
    My computer is only a year+ old, and fairly powerful, as it is a Toshiba Quosmio Media Center, 17&quot; laptop.
    Thanks.

dave1622 Guest

Hi Teslawriter,
    I found the best way to uninstall ver-8 is to go into safemode.

The last version of ZA before ver-8 was 70_483_000_en.exe.
    If you or anyone finds a version 8 without trouble for xp I would be interested in knowing
    Dave16

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information