Thread: ZA 8 Crashed My System Today

zimmelman Guest

Default ZA 8 Crashed My System Today

I updated to ZA SS 8 last week, and everything seemed to be going ok, that is, until this morning.

I turned my system on, it got to the login screen, then sat there and did nothing. It wasn't frozen, just stopped loading services.

I brought up the task mgr using ctrl+shift+Esc, and the "user name" column for all the tasks was empty.

The ZA icon was displaying, but then a message popped up telling me it was loading the GUI. It never completed loading, even after 10 minutes.

I attempted to shut down, and it wouldn't. I manually shut it down with the power button, and went through the same sequence several more times. I finally booted into safe mode and un-installed ZA.

When it rebooted, the system came up just fine. In fact, I've never seen my system run so fast!

I'm not sure what happened with ZA, but I am positive ZA 8 was absolutely the cause. Perhaps a ZA file somehow got corrupted, or an update didn't complete properly. Whatever the problem, I'm now totally gun-shy of reinstalling ZA. I just wasted 2 1/2 hours of what should have productive work time. Instead I had to baby sit this thing.

And what has me really scratching my head, is the new found speed of my computer. It is noticeably faster, not just in boot time, but running applications and using my compiler are 30-60% faster. I have been running speed tests on my compiler. With ZA running my project takes 36-40 seconds to compile. Now with ZA completely removed, it took 16 seconds.

So I guess I need to make a decision; Do I want virus protection and the cost of speed and stability, or stability and speed at the risk of getting a virus? Hmmm... Quite the delimma...

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA 8 Crashed My System Today

<blockquote><hr>Zimmelman wrote:
    With ZA running my project takes 36-40 seconds to compile. Now with ZA completely removed, it took 16 seconds.

<hr></blockquote>

Probably you need to exclude your project/program from the 'on access' antivirus scanning.
    Have you tried that?

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zimmelman Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

<blockquote><hr>Zimmelman wrote:
    With ZA running my project takes 36-40 seconds to compile. Now with ZA completely removed, it took 16 seconds.

<hr></blockquote>

Probably you need to exclude your project/program from the 'on access' antivirus scanning.
    Have you tried that?

Cheers,
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes, I did try that. It made no difference at all.

What's a little stranger is that with &quot;On Access&quot; set to off (compiles in about 26 secs) it's still not as fast as with ZA completely removed (16 secs).

Hi!
    no idea... may be your system does not like ZA
    Better you start searching for an alternative.

Or try to disable functions in ZA up to when you see a difference.
    Typically spysite blocking or smartdefence.

You can contact the ZA technical support, free of charge, at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zimmelman Guest

Thanks. I'll contact support.

But for now I'm truly enjoying (for the first time) the speed of my system. All this time I thought I had a lemon.

Thanks!
    -Steve-

Thread Information