This may sound like a no-brainer to most folks on this forum but I'm not a firewall maven so need some help. It's my understanding that gateway routers (such as in home DSL networks, for example) are
very effective in providing firewalling against incoming intrusion (is that because they act much like a hardware firewall?), but are they also as effective against outgoing malware calls from, say, a Trojan? I used ZA for many years on dial-up (where there was nothing between the computer and the 'net except ZA), and more recently behind a DSL router.
I like the way ZA asks for permission before allowing (or denying) each and every app that asks to 'call home' and can't imagine a router asking such a question but I just don't know. My guess would be that although the router is an effective barrier against attacks from the outside coming in, it has no ability whatsoever to filter traffic from the computer going out, and without a firewall such as ZA there will be no outgoing filtering at all. That's seems perfectly logical and is certainly what I'd like to believe, but could someone here confirm this assumption? Thanks for any clarification.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)