Thread: Real Easy Question....

catharsis Guest

Default Real Easy Question....

Hi...
    When I have Zone Alarm running - and when it performs various "stuff"
    like after a scan -
    I'm use-to hitting the "X" button to close the window (assuming all activity has been performed). But it seems with Zone Alarm I don't wanna do that because it will shut down the program.
    Am I right in thinking this - or is it ok to close the
    screen or should I minimize the screen.
    Any comments, suggestions and opinions are appreciated....
    Thank you in advance.

naivemelody Guest

Default ZA GUI open or closed?

The ZA window is only the 'graphical interface' telling you various aspects of it's activities, firewall, connections, scanning,
    etc. - all of this happens
    automatically
    once you start your pc and continues whether you are watching it with the ZA opened window or not. With the red X on the main ZA window - it really doesn't "shut-down" ZA - this can only be done if you...right click your ZA tray icon(lower right bottom, next to clock) and click "Shutdown ZoneAlarm" and of course it will safety it with a box saying
    'do you really want to shutdown' - just to prevent accidently shutdowns. Of course when you shut-down the pc for the night - ZA will shutdown.<hr>
    As for scanning, you can red X
    the main ZA window - while you watch the 'scan status' scan in
    progress box go on - when done you can shut that off too.<hr>My personal use: I like to keep ZA main program control on while I'm updating all/ any
    software and especially while downloading any new upgrade/ new software - you can see what programs/ files are active and make any 'adjustments' that may be needed; sometimes ZA will give 'SmartDefense' designations that need a little 'help' - for instance a new program will have a new temp installer - ZA will give ' ? or red X ' for Access and I know it should be/ want it to be ' green checks ' to allow this program to install without any hindrance. The rest of the time (majority) I have ZA window on &quot;minimized&quot; so I can get to fast and ready - that's my preference. You may like less clutter on your desktop or you may have too many open windows and may not want an open ZA window or minimized tray slot - it's all your choice. :
    smileywink: So it's not really necessary to keep ZA window open nor minimized to have it function and operate normally.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 9-04-08 - I Want It That Way - The Backstreet Boys

catharsis Guest

Default Re: ZA GUI open or closed?

Yea - I thought so, but you can never be to sure.....

Thanks....

Thread Information