Thread: ZASS 8.0.020 hangs computer completely! - Help!

saavik Guest

Default ZASS 8.0.020 hangs computer completely! - Help!

It took me a while to recreate the steps, but now it happens regularly!
    With ZASS firewall set to High, I did a Google search on any product that will yield a result with Amazon.com (I used "wii table tennis&quot.
    Found the result which went to Amazon.com.
    Clicked on it, and said Goodbye to my computer.It hanged so completely, that even Alt-Ctl-Del did not work.
    The only way out was a hard boot!
    This problem did NOT exist in ZASS version 7.0.483.
    Any ideas would be most appreciated.
    If no resolution, I would have to return to 7.0.483.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZASS 8.0.020 hangs computer completely! - Help!

Hi!
    have you tried to reset your settings?
    Also turn OFF cookies, adblocking and mobile control under the ZA privacy tab

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

saavik Guest

Thank you for your quick reply.
    I may be missing something here - if I turn off all these settings, what is the point of having them in the first place?
    I always become worried when the advice is "turn off security", or equivalent.
    What gets RESET when a RESET is done?
    (By the way, I forgot to mention this was a clean install).

Hi!
    see here how to customise the Privacy settings for problematic sites.
    Some sites wants the privacy control completely turned OFF.

See here:
    http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/privacy.html

Resetting the settings will bring ZA as first installed.

Cheers,
    Fax

molehole Guest

I have pretty much the same problem with the computer hanging when I go to any Amazon.com product information page. It doesn't happen on any other webpage and doesn't happen on other Amazon.com pages. The difference I have is that if I wait a few minutes, my computer starts responding again, but the Amazon.com page isn't completely loaded. I I try to reload the Amazon.com page the whole thing starts again. I tried the reset of ZASS and things worked, but it also wiped out all of my identity protection information, etc., which would take forever to put back in, so I tried restoring a backup I had made of my settings and again the computer would hang on these Amazon.com pages. I also tried removing all of my sites listed under privacy settings, disabled ad blocking, allowed all cookies and even put my firewall on medium, but nothing changed.

I noticed that there are a number of cookies associated with these problem Amazon.com web pages (besides the usual amazon.com cookies): servedby.advertising.com, afe.specificclick.net, adopt.specificclick.net, i1img.com, x.imwx.com, as00.estara.com and possibly others. What also is strange is that the last 3 sites I mentioned sometimes appear multiple times in the ZASS privacy settings site list, something I never remember encountering in several years using ZASS! And when I try to remove these sites from the list of sites, a couple of times I got the message "unable to delete privacy settings for site."

There's something about Amazon.com product information pages which is triggering this, probably interacting somehow with the new ZASS v.8.

I'm using Windows XP pro, service pack 3 and all updates. Previous versions of ZASS had issues with some websites not working properly or getting messages that cookies must be enabled (even though they were), but nothing this bad! I may just have to stop shoopping at Amazon.com.

molehole Guest

An update: This problem seems to be related to Ad Blocking!

Now, when I set Ad Blocking to Off or to Medium, I don't seem to have the problem, but when set to High, the computer stops responding for a few minutes when going to some websites.

saavik Guest

Well, since this did not happen in 7.0.483, it would seem something has changed, and should be fixed.I think it would be unreasonable to ask a customer to NOT use an important
    feature instead of fixing it...

Hi!by the way, tried on amazon.com (with IE) and everything works fine even with ZA privacy turned ON.If you have a specific link to test, post it here so I can try but so far amazon.com works perfectly fine here.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information