Thread: ZAISS 8.0 Questions.

wstern Guest

Default ZAISS 8.0 Questions.

Hi,

I currently use ZAISS 7.0.483 under Windows XP Pro. I saw the list of new features for ZAISS 8.0 on the ZAISS History page.
    I still have a few unanswered questions which I was hoping a knowledgeable person might be able to answer:

ZAISS 7.0 uses Kaspersky Engine Version 6. What engine does ZAISS 8.0 use? Kaspersky? Version 7 or 8?

I still have time remaining on my ZAISS 7.0 paid license.
    Will my ZAISS 7 product key work on ZAISS 8, or would I need to contact ZA for a new Version 8.0 license key.

Does ZAISS 8 use the Kaspersky feature to permanently pollute the NTFS file system with unremoveable metadata
    about when a file was last scanned. This feature has advantages and disadvantages. It decreases the time needed
    to scan an entire C: drive (as files scanned recently are not re-scanned), but it permanently pollutes your NTFS
    file system with Junk which can never be removed.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Bill

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by wstern on 09-11-2008 01:31 PM

Default Re: ZAISS 8.0 Questions.

Hi!better you ask directly to ZALabs, they are the only to know how KAV is implemented.Here:www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wstern Guest

Fax,

Thanks - I'll fill out the ZA form with my questions.

From what is listed on the ZAISS release history page:
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

it looks like ZA may have made this NTFS File system pollution by the Kaspersky anti-virus engine a configurable option.
    But as we both know, ZAISS can have its options reset by a crash, and it may be dangerous to use
    ZAISS 8 if ZA makes the NTFS pollution the default option.

My own personal view is that I don't like software which permanently pollutes the NTFS file system metadata
    for every file on your hard drive, and doesn't provide a way to remove the junk even if you uninstall the software.

Also, Kaspersky's scan engine is very slow - as anyone who has used ZAISS 7 and done a full system scan can attest to.
    Its hourly updates have the disadvantage that their signature updates are not fully tested, which may cause false positives.

I'm considering staying with ZAISS 7, and turning off the Kaspersky engine.
    I've found the AV engine from another vendor (VirusScan Enterprise 8.5), which allows me to set up Access rules to prevent a list of programs
    (IE, Firefox, Outlook, Trillion, etc) from downloading (writing, creating, or deleting) any executable file (.EXE, DLL, COM, etc, etc, etc). This is a very powerful feature, perhaps the most powerful security feature on my PC. It means I can go to dangerous websites and not worry about drive by downloads (because the browser would not have write access to write any file with an executable extension to the C: drive). It also means another member of my family cannot accidentally download anything if they click on a malicious AD from a reputable website which tries to install malware.

Bill

Hi!sorry you should check with ZA directly about KAV.You should move to ZAPRO, even if you turn OFF the antivirus, the drivers and executables will be loaded.Cheers,Fax

wstern Guest

Hi Fax,

Thank you for the tip on moving to ZA Pro - I appreciate it.

I hope I can ask you one more question.

Can scripts that run in the browser (such as Active-X or Java Script or Java Applets) spawn another windows process.

Also would such scripts need to download any executable files to the c: drive to do so.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi!
    not an expert, but I think it is possible. Not sure it is possible without launching an ad-hoc executable on your system. Probably better to ask in a specialized security forum?

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information