Thread: Weird programs show up under the "Programs" tab after clean install

riceorony Guest

Default Weird programs show up under the "Programs" tab after clean install

Hello all! First note that I am using Windows Vista Ultimate

Today I upgraded from version 8.0.15 to 8.0.20 and performed a "clean" install (as prompted by the install box).

Everything looks normal, loads up normal, etc. as determined by general feel.

However, looking at the Programs under the "Program Control" tab had some weird program names.

One for example was "8a;'Xa@eystem32/rundll32.exe" and was given a Custom label (as compared to the Auto label) under SmartDefense

To do a little inquiry, I look at my OSFirewall log and it shows that funky program file opening C:\Windows\system32\consent.exe, which I'm going to assume is due to me needing to allow administrative access to the command prompt while I was doing some ipconfig/netstat things. If you're familiar with Vista, then you'll understand that you have to Allow or Deny access for A TON OF PROGRAMS when they want to load.

Since this is a clean install, my first hunch is that this is simply a corrupt database. As the weird program was not seen on any of the previous days when I was using the earlier 8.0.15 ZA-ISS version or the even earlier 7.1 versions. After removing the file from the Program list, it goes away and doesn't come back.

Again, I decide to run command prompt (cmd.exe) as an administrator, and am prompted to allow or deny the program from running. The funky program comes back onto the program list, and is spotted again on the OSFirewall log as mentioned above.

Any ideas anyone?

Message Edited by riceorony on 09-16-2008 10:20 PM

Default Re: Weird programs show up under the "Programs" tab after clean install

Hi riceorony!

Long time no see!
    How are things my friend?

Okay consent.exe as you know is okay - this is a windows file for Vista.

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe is also a windows file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q164787&

The rundll32.exe is basically working to do start and run the various window dll's and arrange the COM and the OLE. It has a lot to organize.
    And arrange the order of the access of the dll's used by various other files.

See http://dx21.com/coding/libraries/rundll32/default.aspx and look at the index for the rundll32.exe. it gives you an idea - plus there are more not mentioned in this index.

The svchost.exe :

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;250320

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

Ok. My two cents for the answer.
    I do not think this is a corruption of the database of the ZA.
    It is following what it is being observered.

This "8a;'Xa@eystem32/rundll32.exe" although looks like some alien language should be looked at where it is located by checking the Properties in the right click for this in the ZA Program lisitings. Also the vendor/date and time/version will be seen.
    Maybe in the safe mode to get all of the goodies and to get all of the advanced features, as I do not know about this new vista stuff.
    It could be these were just temp files used in an install or update or upgrade of some program or for windows. In which case even though the file maybe gone, it still appears in the registry - and a good file clean up and a registry clean will allow you to remove these "dead" entries.
    Sometimes even running the file clean utility of windows will do the trick and sometimes a betteer cleaner such as ccleaner will finish the job.
    Just do not forget that registry cleanup at the same time.

As for the extremely slow shutdown... did you uninstall the previous counterspy before installing the new version or did you just install over?
    The new version is a completely new version and has brand new files/drivers/etc.
    The old version should have been uninstalled first before the new install.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

riceorony Guest

Oldsod!!!!!!

You do know you're one of my great friends online that I've never ever met right?

I hope all is going well for you! I am doing well, but school is ramping up again and I'm tired.

Thanks for the awesome explanation as always as you've clarified a ton for me.

Again, the alien language was what was confusing me because when I right click it to learn more about the program, it says that the file could not be found. Yet it reappears (even after removal) whenever the computer needs to use it (as in the consent.exe case)

If it's not an infection maybe ill just leave it and let it pass.

I'll try your advice for fixing the shut-down problem.

Thanks a ton Oldsod.

Goodnight to you sir!

<blockquote><hr>riceorony wrote:
    Oldsod!!!!!!

You do know you're one of my great friends online that I've never ever met right?

I hope all is going well for you! I am doing well, but school is ramping up again and I'm tired.

Thanks for the awesome explanation as always as you've clarified a ton for me.

Again, the alien language was what was confusing me because when I right click it to learn more about the program, it says that the file could not be found. Yet it reappears (even after removal) whenever the computer needs to use it (as in the consent.exe case)

If it's not an infection maybe ill just leave it and let it pass.

I'll try your advice for fixing the shut-down problem.

Thanks a ton Oldsod.

Goodnight to you sir!
    <hr></blockquote>

You too are a great online friend.
    I kind of missed you here, so it is very good to see you again!
    Glad to hear school is going and keeping you busy.

Do not know if this article will even help you:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Try this in the command for an instant shutdown:

shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

or make a shortcut on the desktop using this string:

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

It should work in Vista as this is some old XP stuff.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

riceorony Guest

Oldsod,

I performed the 27-step clean up (was quicker than I thought!) and reinstalled back to version 7.1 (for Vista and doesnt have all the cool new features as version 8). Everything runs smoother, quicker, eventhough I now feel less secure :-(

<blockquote><hr>riceorony wrote:
    Oldsod,

I performed the 27-step clean up (was quicker than I thought!) and reinstalled back to version 7.1 (for Vista and doesnt have all the cool new features as version 8). Everything runs smoother, quicker, eventhough I now feel less secure :-(
    <hr></blockquote>

Less secure with that fortress of security programs you call a laptop?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information