Thread: Zone Alarm vs MS Fire Wall

highwayman Guest

Default Zone Alarm vs MS Fire Wall

Having just gone through a catastophic hard drive failure, possibly due to external infection I'm determined to get my security right!
    When I re-loaded ZA there was a message telling me to disable the firewall that comes with Microsoft XP Pro.
    There were dire warning about conflicts and slow working of my PC.
    Is this true?
    Should I disable the MS firewall and how can I do this?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Highwayman on 09-20-2008 05:09 AM

Default Re: Zone Alarm vs MS Fire Wall

a.) some Computer Users think that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better?

b.) have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

highwayman Guest

...many thanks.
    I've turned the XP firewall off.
    I only have ZASS running now but I've increased the 'Internet Zone Security' to a 'high' setting.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Highwayman wrote:
    ...many thanks. I've turned the XP firewall off. I only have ZASS running now but I've increased the 'Internet Zone Security' to a 'high' setting.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) Under Firewall Main tab..Internet Security Zone = HighTrusted Security Zone = Medium..
    2.) Program Control Main tabProgram Control = MaxiimumSmartDefense Advisor - Manual3.) NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights (no Internet Server Rights)c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet accessand Send Mail all need Green check Marks..
    GeorgeV

highwayman Guest

..that's great!
    I've made the changes you suggest.
    There were a lot of things I didn't recognise in the 'Programmes' tab though.
    I didn't change any of them but wonder if there is a more detailed check list I could work down.
    I assume by 'malicious software removal tool' you mean things like 'Spybot?'

..that's great! I've made the changes you suggest. There were a lot of things I didn't recognise in the 'Programmes' tab though. I didn't change any of them but wonder if there is a more detailed check list I could work down. I assume by 'malicious software removal tool' you mean things like 'Spybot?'
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Please note that ZAP for XP does not always play nice with many security tools. For example, Norton,McAfee,ad-aware, Ad-watch, AVG 8, spybotS&amp;D, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper. For sure it cannot be installed if you have still another Antivirus software or Firewall (other than Windows Firewall) installed or active,however you may want to disable the NAV 2008 Internet Worm Protection as it acts like a mini inbound Firewall that will Conflict with ZA Firewall.Caution: Some Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs contain features that may conflict with ZApro..
    GeorgeV

highwayman Guest

...thanks again.
    How do I find the NAV 2008 to disable it?

...thanks again. How do I find the NAV 2008 to disable it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is just my 2 cents worth,If your having problem with ZAP and a previous installation of Norton Systemworks or Norton AntiVirus, or Norton Security Suite 2008/2009when you use ADD/Remove to Remove any of Symantec Norton utilities, especially their Norton Anti-Virus program, they still leave lots of traces behind after the "UNINSTALL"Fortunately SYMANTEC has a Fix for this problem on the Symantec web site called "NORTON REMOVAL TOOL" that does a better job of REMOVING ALL traces of Norton Symantec files..here is the Link to the Symantec Norton Removal Tool..http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ent&amp;seg=hmHere is the Link to McAfee Removal Tool..http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...64&amp;lc=1033<H5>Affected Operating Systems: </H5><UL><LI>Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Home <LI>Microsoft Windows Vista </LI>[/list]
    GeorgeV

highwayman Guest

...many thanks.
    I'll give the removal tool a go as I have had Norton at one time.

Thread Information