Thread: To Guru's/Senior Contributors - Wondering whether to take the plunge into ZASS v8.0???

the_z_man Guest

Default To Guru's/Senior Contributors - Wondering whether to take the plunge into ZASS v8.0???

Greetings all!!

This question is generally directed towards the 'much appreciated' "Senior Contributors" or "Guru's" of this forum, but I'd be grateful to anyone replying to my question!!

Well, I've been surfing around the forum recently, at least since the release of ZASS v8, and was pretty surprised by the influx of problems posted by users regarding their experience with an upgrade or installation of the latest version.

I'm quite aware that most users, more often than not, will post about problems and not so much about their success (which is why this forum is here I suppose), but I can't remember seeing a similar situation where so many people are having difficulties with a new release of ZASS...

Mind you, I'm sure that regular users or guru's etc, may have seen this occur before, but in my time on this forum it is quite a new experience.

Which is why I aim this question to them,
    "Should I go ahead with an installation/upgrade of ZASS v8.0.020.000, or wait just a little longer to avoid any complications?"

I have used ZASS since v6 and have had no problems to date with the installation or use of the product and I cannot see myself using another product anytime soon! I'm VERY happy with ZASS and will be renewing my subscription when the time calls for it in a few months, new release or not! (You could say I'm extremely loyal when I find a product that serves me well!)

I just want to know whether this is an unusually problematic release (which will be sorted out shortly I'm sure), or whether it is quite a normal occurance to see a large amount of users adjusting to a new/major release?

I'm sure some replies will be saying "It's totally up to you, the user", but I would love to hear what others, especially long term users, recommend.

Thank you to all in advance and I appreciate any input contributed...

Z-man.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: To Guru's/Senior Contributors - Wondering whether to take the plunge into ZASS v8.0???

<blockquote><hr>The-Z-Man wrote:
    Greetings all!!

but I can't remember seeing a similar situation where so many people are having difficulties with a new release of ZASS...

Thank you to all in advance and I appreciate any input contributed...

Z-man.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Hi!
    pretty normal to see complaints about new releases. This is not new and actually it has been much worst in previous major releases. In this respect, the situation has generally improved...

There are objective problem like ZA (with antivirus) shutdown delays in XP and some issues on ZA privacy control.
    The rest of the complaints are on the standard issues: a bad update, conflicting software or hardware incompatibilities.

If you do not have problem with version 7 there is no need you rush into version 8.
    Just wait a couple of months before updating.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-10-2008 01:06 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

richaclaza Guest

Default Re: To Guru's/Senior Contributors - Wondering whether to take the plunge into ZASS v8.0???

I had been totally happy with the functions of ZA products so when I read of the up date on 9-4-2008 I jumped in with both feet (Desktop and Laptop) OOPS.
    Now there is a pronounced problem with both of them on opening either computer up (2-4 minutes to become operational)
    On timeing out or rebooting the time runs 3-8/9 Minutes.
    On attempting to shut down it some times will take 8-10minutes to close the computer down.
    Both computers are HP products and have the capacity for returning to a previous date (in my case 9-3-2008) and recover from there or should I completely remove the ZA products currently on the equipment and reload
    Thanks for your assistance.Richard

I Suggest going back to ZASS Version 7.0.483.000Until the Developers come up with a Fix..Go to the following Forum Link and follow the Instructions..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=14945#M184
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

naivemelody Guest

The-Z-Man, I would suggest you stay with
    7.0.483 would be the safer bet for now; and if you would like to go further - try 8.0.15 which is fairly stable;
    8.0.20 not as much. You will see many users who have 8.0 have 8.0.15 running fairly well.<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 9-10-08 - The Night Before - The Beatles

the_z_man Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

Hi!
    pretty normal to see complaints about new releases. This is not new and actually it has been much worst in previous major releases. In this respect, the situation has generally improved...<blockquote><hr>

Ahh, ok. I just got the impression that there were an unusual number of posts regarding problems... Thanks for clearing that up.

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

If you do not have problem with version 7 there is no need you rush into version 8.
    Just wait a couple of months before updating.
    <hr><blockquote>
    I think so too fax, I've pretty much come to this conclusion right now. I'm having no trouble with Ver 7.0.483.000 at the moment (fingers crossed ), so there is no actual &quot;need&quot; for me to rush into Ver 8, It's just that the lure of something &quot;new&quot; (especially when no extra cost is involved), is tempting to say the least!!

I'm just gonna wait a little longer and try to keep up to date with the boards a bit more.

Thanks again fax!!</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

jrmerrill Guest

There is a reference above by a moderator to 'just the standard' upgrade problems - bad install, hardware incompatibilities, etc...

Hmm, isnt the fact that CP has gone out on a limb to release a beta fix at least some confirmation that these recent problems are not a user error or bad install????

They realize people are going to start jumping ship if we don't get a cleaner product.

I spent hours trying to sort out why 8.015 wasnt working for me on
    a brand new computer with a
    very clean set of background
    programs, etc - gave up, went back to 7-something, and will not even try 8x until I see folks posting about its success.

Thank you for your Inquiry..I would wait for a New Bug Fix, after the Current BETA is Finished Testing.. Please read this.. http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=81278--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.052.000 (32-Bit)
    TrueVector version:8.0.052.000
    Driver version:8.0.052.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:959682013
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200809.4645
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time