Thread: Zone Alarm Pro causing Slow Shutdown and Network Issues (Vista Home Premium)

messyhead Guest

Default Zone Alarm Pro causing Slow Shutdown and Network Issues (Vista Home Premium)

I have already informed Technical Support about these issues, but also wanted to post here in case anyone else has the same issues. I'm aware that Zone Alarm Security Suite 8 causes similar issues, but from looking in the forums I cannot find anything specifically related to Zone Alarm Pro.

The issues I'm having are;

1. Slow Shutdown
    2. After closing IE7, or Firefox 3 the process remains open in the Task Manager and cannot be stopped using 'End Process' (If multiple instances of either program were open, then a process is shown for each)
    3. Using Firefox, at first pages would load, but they would then stop loading and I could not load any new web pages.
    4. When using IE7, pages would load at first, and then after several minutes they would stop loading for several minutes. I could then refresh the pages and they would load and new pages would continue to load.

To try and resolve the issues, I un-installed v8.0.015.000, and installed version 7.1.254.000.

This improved the connectivity issues with IE7 slightly. However after closing IE7, the process remained shown in Task Manager and I still experienced slow Shutdown.

I have since completely un-installed Zone Alarm Pro and stopped using it. All issues described above have now been resolved by removing Zone Alarm Pro, therefore I know that it is Zone Alarm Pro causing these issues.

My laptop is a Dell Studio 1735 running Vista Home Premium, and I'm using a Dell 1510 802.11N Wireless Adapter with the BT Home Hub router.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro causing Slow Shutdown and Network Issues (Vista Home Premium)

HI!
    if you have already tried to completely remove and reinstall ZAPRO then another test is to run ZAPRO in isolation from the other third party software running on the system to see if there is any conflict on your setup.

As already mentioned to you ZAPRO 8 does NOT suffer from ZASS/ZAAV problems (slow shutdown).

To test incompatibilities just start the PC only with ZA and standard MS services/programs.

This way:

1.) Click Start
    2.) Type MSConfig in the VISTA search box and click ENTER
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 10-01-2008 02:02 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

messyhead Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro causing Slow Shutdown and Network Issues (Vista Home Premium)

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote: As already mentioned to you ZAPRO 8 does NOT suffer from ZASS/ZAAV problems (slow shutdown).</blockquote>

It does cause these issues for me.

Thanks for those steps. I had already used MSCONFIG to stop some processes and services from loading, but not everything apart from ZA. I might try the steps you mention when I'm home (I don't have the laptop at work).

However, what would this prove other than ZAPRO is causing problems?

After un-installing it, all of the issues have been resolved (including completely crippling Firefox), so this proves that either ZAPRO is causing the issues itself, or in conflict with another program. But either way the problem is ZAPRO.

I also use Kasperky Anti Virus 2009, but this is known to work with ZAPRO if KAV is installed first. I'm already considering whether to just switch to Kaspersky Internet Security as a single solution instead of separate AV and Firewall programs.

<blockquote><hr>messyhead wrote:

<blockquote><hr>However, what would this prove other than ZAPRO is causing problems?

<hr></blockquote>

This is may prove that there is a conflict with ZA pro if run together with '???'.
    Then the only way to understand if this a ZAPRO issue is to be a programmer to understand who does what and does block what.

But before coming to any wrong conclusion, you first need to see if the above makes any difference.
    Your issue are so weird that I am not sure MSCONFIG will be of help.
    To me it sounds more a conflict with your router... are your DNS(s) and DHCP(s addresses been added to the trusted zone? Is the TRUSTED ZONE set to MEDIUM?

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information