Thread: [Solved] Computer comes to a crawl when ZoneLabs auto-update runs - Update OS & ZA

johnnydingo Guest

Default [Solved] Computer comes to a crawl when ZoneLabs auto-update runs - Update OS & ZA

I've now noticed on 8 different PC's that when the auto-update runs (and the tray icon changes to Z with up-arrow) the systems *ALL* immediately slow to a crawl. Last night working on an Excel Spreadsheet, it took over 10 seconds for the last 3 values I entered to show up...then I noticed the Z^ icon in the tray.

This has been an issue in the last several versions and I'd like to know why this happens and when will it be fixed?

John

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

riceorony Guest

Default Re: Computer comes to a crawl when ZoneLabs auto-update runs - WHY???

You are currently using version 8, which is known to have some software problems, e.g. slow updates and increased shut-down time.

Please report this to technical support and downgrade to version 7.0 or 7.1 (depending whether you use XP or Vista) until an update has been released.

Have a great weekend!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>JohnnyDingo wrote:
    I've now noticed on 8 different PC's that when the auto-update runs (and the tray icon changes to Z with up-arrow) the systems *ALL* immediately slow to a crawl. Last night working on an Excel Spreadsheet, it took over 10 seconds for the last 3 values I entered to show up...then I noticed the Z^ icon in the tray.

This has been an issue in the last several versions and I'd like to know why this happens and when will it be fixed?

John

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,ZoneAlarm is still investigating and collecting data on the Slow shutdown, slow coming out of Standby and slow logging off user issue. The automatic update for 8.0 was turned off.We recommend that users uninstall 8.0 and reinstall 7.http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    Go to the following Forum Link and follow the Instructions..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=14945#M184

When a improved version is ready the automatic update notification will let you know in the client.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.055.000 32-Bit BETA
    TrueVector version:8.0.055.000
    Driver version:8.0.055.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:960779812
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4725
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 10th, 2014 at 05:01 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

johnnydingo Guest

Hi GeorgeV,

I'm having no slow down issues with logging on/off or startup/shut down...in fact they seem a bit quicker.

The problem is the *auto-update*. Under preferences it shows Check for updates as Automatic and same for Antivirus/spyware, every 3 hrs. And when it runs, and the icon changes indicating an update in progress, and the systems slow to a crawl.

Per my original message, this is NOT a new issue with v8.x, I experienced it with v7.x too.

Thanks,
    John

johnnydingo Guest

Default UPDATE & Probable Cause For "Computer comes to a crawl when ZoneLabs auto-update runs"

FYI to anyone interested!

Version 8.0.059.000

Please note that I'm an IT guy so please *don't* suggest the usual db corruption, failed install, need to uninstall and reinstall, try an earlier version, usual solutions. This has been an issue since version 7.x and has continued into v8.x. I'm just now finding a way to verify whats happening...

Under Alerts &amp; Logs &gt; Advanced, I enabled &quot;Alert&quot; on both &quot;Anti-virus automatic update events&quot; &amp; &quot;Anti-spyware automatic update events&quot;.

Now each time the auto-update occurs, the update dialog box appears and the tray icon switches to the Z with the up arrow.

*EVERY TIME* auto-update runs (and on all 8 systems) the systems come to a stand still! Disk activity appears constant and cpu usage for the update process soars to over 60%! The systems all become unresponsive until auto-update finishes. On top of that, on some of the systems, when the dialog box appears, its on top of all other windows and none of the other windows can be selected!?!

This convinces me that it's an issue with the update process and it would be great if it were acknowledged and fixed.

John

Default Re: "Computer comes to a crawl when ZoneLabs auto-update runs"

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>JohnnyDingo wrote:
    FYI to anyone interested!

Version 8.0.059.000

Please note that I'm an IT guy so please *don't* suggest the usual db corruption, failed install, need to uninstall and reinstall, try an earlier version, usual solutions. This has been an issue since version 7.x and has continued into v8.x. I'm just now finding a way to verify whats happening...

*EVERY TIME* auto-update runs (and on all 8 systems) the systems come to a stand still! Disk activity appears constant and cpu usage for the update process soars to over 60%! The systems all become unresponsive until auto-update finishes. On top of that, on some of the systems, when the dialog box appears, its on top of all other windows and none of the other windows can be selected!?!

This convinces me that it's an issue with the update process and it would be great if it were acknowledged and fixed.

John
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a known Problem..there is still a know Bug in ZASS 8.0.059.000 AV/AS that does an Hourly Update check..
    My ZASS Vista 8.0.059.000 does AV/AS update checks hourly even though I have it set for 6 hour check most of the time it checks every hour with occationally every two hours check....

Reportedly, the NEW ZAX BETA 8.0.259.000 has fixed this bug..
    No ETA when that fix will filter down to a Public release yet..

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:975748610
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5115
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957

================================
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.247.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.247.000
    Driver version:8.0.247.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:975748610
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5115
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1339
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.91.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.3.91.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.93.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 03.340
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 10th, 2014 at 05:00 AM.
    GeorgeV

Default UPDATE Fails

Windows 2000 Compatibility.

as a matter of Curtsey and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem, the Guideline Rules, ask each User to Please start their own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem. This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Problem, When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 02-08-2009 04:02 PM
    GeorgeV

Thread Information