Thread: What is the situation with AVG wiping out ZA? Need info... Thanks!

bloomcounty Guest

Default What is the situation with AVG wiping out ZA? Need info... Thanks!

I've seen mention of this on the board here, but didn't see any specifics.

Can someone tell me what versions of ZA and what versions of AVG are involved in this situation?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

Also, does KB956803 screw up ZA Free 6.1.x, or is that version still "safe" from being affected by the MS updtates?

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version: 6.1
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: What is the situation with AVG wiping out ZA? Need info... Thanks!

I think you missed the entire problem.
    Just one of the overnight issues where the AVG falsely decided the ZA files were all troyan files.
    For all ZA releases.
    The AVG quickly released an update to correct their mistake.
    The entire problem was resolved in a matter of hours.
    Hopefully they will not repeat their mistake

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=20064

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bloomcounty Guest

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    I think you missed the entire problem.
    Just one of the overnight issues where the AVG falsely decided the ZA files were all troyan files.
    For all ZA releases.
    The AVG quickly released an update to correct their mistake.
    The entire problem was resolved in a matter of hours.
    Hopefully they will not repeat their mistake

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=20064
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Oldsod!

Do you happen to know what the update was? Was it 7.5.549? I use AVG Free 7.5 A/V and still have 7.5.542 (I think that's the number) and have held off on letting it update to 7.5.549 because I've heard issues about having to reboot after most virus definitions (but this may not actually be true and could be isolated incidents). It was odd that AVG would put out a program update to 7.5 since they're trying to get people to use 8.0, so that's why I'm thinking it is the ZA fix update.

However, even though I have not done the program update, my AVG has not flagged or disabled my ZA 6.1.x.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Hi bloomcounty.
    It would not matter if it was the AVG 7.5 or the newer version, as both versionswould share the same database for the definitions. (I doubt they would go to the extra effort to create two seperate definition databases, but instead create one definition databse for the both of their versions)

You were lucky and missed the bad defintions update and instead just continued merrily on with the correct definitions. Sometimes the constant updating or having the computer off does have it's benefits.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bloomcounty Guest

Gotcha!

I wonder if I should even bother applying the AVG Free 7.5 A/V Program Update then (if I'm correct that it was done for the ZA issue). Or do you think that they merely corrected it with a new virus definition update?

This is the program update info. If it's not for the ZA issue, I find it odd that AVG would create a program update for 7.5 when they: 1. Said there would be no more program updates; and 2. Want people to stop using 7.5 and use 8.0 instead. Thoughts?

Recommended Update:
    AVG Free Control Center (version: 545)
    AVG Free User Interface (version: 549)
    AVG Free Edition Virus Vault (version: 548)
    AVG Free Edition Test Center (version: 548)
    AVG Free kernel (version: 542)
    Localisation English (version: 549)
    Update component (version: 541)

Optional Update:
    Same as above plus:
    AVG Free help English (version: 548)
    Setup component (version: 533)

Hello bloomcounty

My original statement concerning the different versions of the AVG and the defintions involved still stands and I will not repeat myself.
    The previous reply I gives sufficent explaination for your repeat question cocerning the AVG updates.

As far as I understand the 7.5 is getting completely phased out and will be not supported once the v8 becomes their standard version. All security vendors do not support out-dated versions, only their latest versions are fully supported.
    As for the exact details of the AVG versions, details and their direction I can not help you.
    I never use the AVG and instead use other antiviral solutions.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bloomcounty Guest

No need to repeat. Okay. Thanks!

Thank you very much bloomcounty.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information