Thread: Zonealarm firewall makes firefox freeze

ranrutenberg Guest

Default Zonealarm firewall makes firefox freeze

Hi,

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro, and every once in a while my firefox will stop loading pages but it will not show any message. When I try to close firefox - the window will close but the firefox process will not. Any attempt I made to close the process via the taskmanager was unsuccessful. When this happens I can't use firefox at all because when I try to open it again, I get an error message from firefox saying it is already running.

I quite sure this is a ZoneAlarm problem, as this problem didn't occur before I had zonealarm. Before I had Zonealarm everything was fine. A couple of weeks ago I tried the basic version of ZoneAlarm and the problem started. After uninstalling Zonealarm everything went back to normal, and firefox operated without any problems. When I recently installed Zonealarm again the problem returned.

Sincerely,
    Ran Rutenberg

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

daevdude Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm firewall makes firefox freeze

I'm running XP Professional with Service pack 3 and the current XP patch set.
    I'm seeing this issue as well, but it's not just Firefox with problems.
    Sometimes this "hang" blows up XP's internals badly enough to prevent a DOS box from launching. I also have numerous problems with other apps that try to access the internet, like Photoshop when it looks for updates.

Other details:
    A) This issue started when I upgraded to version zaSuiteSetup_80_059_000_en.exe.
    Perhaps coincidentally, this was also the first time I saw the revised UI (which I detest, BTW. It apparently doesn't calculate text sizes correctly and draws outside of the dialogs.)
    I backed off to version zaSuiteSetup_80_020_000_en.exe, and this problems happens less frequently, but it still wedges the system.

I'm about to go back to version zaSuiteSetup_70_483_000_en.exe, where I never saw this issue.

stevieray Guest

I started getting the same Firefox issue a few months ago as well, but I don't think its a ZA problem, I think its a Vista/Firefox problem. I shut down ZA but the issue would pop up again anyway.

Check your FF internet access settings. I think the default settings don't work well with Vista.

Click Tools > Options > Advanced, go to the "Network" tab, click the "Settings" button, and change the "Configure Proxies..." setting to "No Proxy". I haven't had the 'no load" problem since changing that setting a week ago... and that no load problem was a daily occurrence before that.

spaz_ol Guest

I have this issue with 7.0.483 and XP SP3. When it happens, the systray icon for ZA also freezes.

ZoneAlarm version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000

ranrutenberg Guest

I see that I'm not the only one who's having this problem. Is there any way to report this bug to Zonealarm, beside the premium phone calls?

ranrutenberg Guest

<blockquote><hr>Stevieray wrote:
    Check your FF internet access settings. I think the default settings don't work well with Vista.

Click Tools &gt; Options &gt; Advanced, go to the &quot;Network&quot; tab, click the &quot;Settings&quot; button, and change the &quot;Configure Proxies...&quot; setting to &quot;No Proxy&quot;. I haven't had the 'no load&quot; problem since changing that setting a week ago... and that no load problem was a daily occurrence before that.
    <hr></blockquote>

My firefox set for &quot;No Proxy&quot;, but this bug keeps happening. I do think this is a Zonealarm problem because when I didn't have zonealarm, this problem didn't happen.

hedera Guest

Actually, yes, there is a way to report things to ZA apart from the premium phone line. You can go to this link:

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

Fill in the form and send an email to ZA tech support.

Thread Information