Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA 8 and Outlook Express problem

lauriewhelan Guest

Default ZA 8 and Outlook Express problem

Since downloading version 80.059 of
    ZA Security Suite, I have been unable to open Outlook Express.
    I have to shut ZA down, then open OE, and then reinstate ZA.
    This undermines part of my security, and I am sure
    is not what was intended..
    Is there a patch I can apply, or something else I can do, that would
    help?
    Thanks.
    lauriewhelan

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: ZA 8 and Outlook Express problem

lauriewhelan,

In program settings, does Outlook Express have supertrusted (three green bars) and Access Trusted (green check), Access Internet (green check) and Send Mail(green check)?

Findley

lauriewhelan Guest

Yes.
    Program Control>Programs has 3 green bars for Access Trusted, and green check marks for both Access Internet and Send Mail, as well as all the other columns.
    lauriewhelan

findley Guest

lauriewhelan,

A couple things you can try:

With Outlook Express closed, go into Program control and remove Outlook Express from the program list. So that would be Program Control > Programs > find Outlook Express in the Programs list and highlight Outlook Express then right click and remove. Open up Outlook Express, zone alarm should throw up alerts which you'll allow and remember. Does this work?

If the above does not work for you, perhaps the zone alarm database has gotten corrupted. Hard shutdowns, power outages and crashes can cause this corruption.

To reset the Zone Alarm database do this:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Be aware that by resetting the database you will lose all your customizations.

Findley

lauriewhelan Guest

Dear Findley,
    A couple of nervous questions before I take the plunge.
    When you say "Program Control",
    is this the same as Start > Programs > Outlook Espress > Delete?
    And how subsequently do I restore OE?
    Will I have lost my emails?
    If I have to reset the ZA database, would it be ok to restore my security settings from a backup?
    lauriewhelan

findley Guest

lauriewhelan,

No, you want to make changes to Zone Alarm settings - right click on Z in your systemtray/lower right by clock and restore Zone Alarm Security Suite Control Center - I'm assuming here you do not have it open.

Once you have the Zone Alarm Security Suite Control Center open, you'll see down the left hand side of the screen some headers/tabs, one of which is Program Control. Click on Program Control and this opens up three choices underneath choose/click Program Control. Next, Choose Programs and a new window opens up listing all your programs - Outlook Express should be listed there; highlight Outlook Express right click and remove.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, then go straight to the database reset, which you may need to do anyway, sometimes removing the problematic program (Outlook Express in your case) from the Zone Alarm program list solves the issue; not always, and then the next step is to reset the zone alarm database. The zone alarm database reset is described in an earlier post and is very easy to do. Just remeber that you will loose all of your customized settings and zone alarm will be like it was when it was new and you will need to re-establish your customized settings, so make note of them before you do the database reset.

Findley

Edited:

Sorry, forgot to answer your question about restoring from a backup - if the backup was made before you started having problems then yes you should be okay; you can give it a try and if the same thing occurs after using the backup then try a reset again and do not backup from your old settings backup file but re-create your customizations fresh.

Message Edited by Findley on 11-18-2008 11:42 AM

lauriewhelan Guest

Dear Findley,
    Thank you for your prompt replies.
    I have tried each of the procedures, and they seem to make no difference.
    Afterwards I added
    OE back to the program Control list, and entered all the permissions, but still no change.
    As I said in my first post, this problem occurred only when I downloaded version 8.
    I still have the download file for version 7; should I revert to that?
    If yes, would it be ok just to run it, and let it overwrite version 8?
    lauriewhelan

findley Guest

lauriewhelan,

My best advice is to completely uninstall version 8, see Guru fax's uninstall advice in this link http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...hread.id=83053

then you can use your version 7 installer. When things don't go right IMO it's always best to remove it and reinstall

Findley

lauriewhelan Guest

Findley
    Apologies for the delay - have been involved with other problems so AZA had to wait until today.
    I did exactly what Guru Fx advised, ie, inserted
    a space followed by /clean, then OK.
    I was then told "the name (filename) specified in the Target Box is not valid"

Tried a couple of times, but it wouldn't let me proceed to the next stage.
    Any alternative approaches?
    lauriewhelan

Hi!just copy/paste this in the box (assuming ZA is installed in C: ).Probably you are inserting the /clean within the " ... "Note that after the last" there is a space. "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /cleanCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 11-23-2008 04:19 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information