Thread: When does logging stop upon an unexpected shutdown?

gdelasca Guest

Default When does logging stop upon an unexpected shutdown?

Does logging continue even after ZA shutdowns (the X comes up with a brown background, in the System tray)?

I was running my ZA last Saturday, was browsing the internet, and sometime b/w 1630-1730, my ZA shutdown with the X sign. Logging stopped at 1705 (per the ZALog.txt file). Would that be the time when the firewall shutdown? Or could it be that the firewall shutdown way before (say, 1630), and ZA continued logging intrusions?

This is important because it would, of course, let me know how long I was unprotected.

A clue: I disconnected as soon as I noticed the X (probably at 1705 as well), and XP had yet to give me the red shield in the system tray that notifies me when the firewall is down.

Please reply only if you are absolutely certain about the conditions for logging to stop; any documentation or evidence would be appreciated. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: When does logging stop upon an unexpected shutdown?

Hi!
    You wrote: Logging stopped at 1705 (per the ZALog.txt file). Would that be the time when the firewall shutdown?
    Yes.. that is it.

On the other hand, if zlclient.exe, the GUI, is not running (e.g. crash), logging will not work even if the firewall will still block intrusions.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gdelasca Guest

Thanks much. A follow-up: is it possible, once we see the X shutdown icon in the systray, that Zonealarm is still blocking intrusions? Or the "X" pretty much means the firewall is out of commission?

Another q:
    Also, reading the log in the notepad (as a .txt file), I cannot see what action was taken on the particular intrusion. Of course, we can see this when the log-in-question is seen thru the ZA GUI. But if we cannot see the log-in-question thru the GUI (even if we try to reach back and see the last 999 intrusions), how else can we read a log and find out what actions (blocked/allowed) were taken? Does the very appearance of entries in the log mean they were blocked? How can we be sure?

Thanks a lot in advance.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>gdelasca wrote:
    Thanks much. A follow-up: is it possible, once we see the X shutdown icon in the systray, that Zonealarm is still blocking intrusions? Or the "X" pretty much means the firewall is out of commission?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, X means the firewall is out of Commission, but I am not a developer so I cannot exclude that under certain circumstances it will still stop instrusions.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>gdelasca wrote:
    Also, reading the log in the notepad (as a .txt file), I cannot see what action was taken on the particular intrusion. Of course, we can see this when the log-in-question is seen thru the ZA GUI. But if we cannot see the log-in-question thru the GUI (even if we try to reach back and see the last 999 intrusions), how else can we read a log and find out what actions (blocked/allowed) were taken? Does the very appearance of entries in the log mean they were blocked? How can we be sure?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>See if this can help:http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/logfile.htmlCheers,Fax

gdelasca Guest

thanks much for the informative answer

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

Thread Information