Thread: Windows Update Hanging

hedera Guest

Default Windows Update Hanging

I have a Vista Home Premium laptop which I recently upgraded from McAfee to ZAISS v.8.0.059.000. I seem to have resolved all the initial issues except this: since the upgrade, Windows Update (which is normally set on automatic) isn't working. It comes up in the tray and says it has something to download, but it never gets past 0% complete, and the only way to shut it down is to kill it from the Task Manager. When I do that, I also get a "Windows Explorer is not responding" message, and Windows Explorer restarts. It looks as if it's the download that causes the hang, because I can bring Windows Update up from the start menu and it responds normally until I click on "download." Then it hangs.

In the Program list, Windows Update Application Launcher and Windows Update Automatic Updates had the same settings:

Three bars; checkmark under Access (trusted and internet); question mark under Server (trusted and internet); question mark under Send mail.

I changed both programs to all checkmarks all the way across but it didn't seem to help. I've found earlier issues relating to this but they all seem to be pre-version 8.

In one thread there was a suggestion that the network permissions might be an issue. My network is unusual. I run a wireless D-Link router on which my laptop has the IP 192.168.0.197; but on the laptop I also sometimes run openVPN (from wiTopia), which establishes an encrypted connection with an external server and gives me an IP address in one of these private ranges:

10.141.1.x, 10.123.5.x, 10.118.0.x

All these IPs are listed as "trusted" to ZA. Other than that the network permissions are all default. I seem to have the problem whether I've brought the openVPN up or not.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

stupefy Guest

Default Re: Windows Update Hanging

hedera,
    Try this:
    FIRST: Do you have any Ad Blocking Software running?
    Private Header Information and Session Cookies must be allowed through an Windows/Microsoft Update Session.....
    Also check any Parental Controls and make sure Parental Controls are not blocking Microsoft
    SECOND: From the ZoneAlarm Program Control/Programs/
    Delete any/all of the Rules associated with Windows Updating, including Windows Genuine Advantage etc.
    Delete the Rule for Internet Explorer
    Delete the Rule for Windows Explorer
    Delete the Rule for Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (scvhost.exe)
    Delete the Rule for Run a DLL as an App (rundll32.exe)
    Delete the Rule for Windows installer (msiexec.exe)
    NOTE: all of these rules will be recreated when executed
    Reboot the computer
    If prompted by ZoneAlarm, Allow and Remember any/all Events (you initiated this action)
    You are initiating the following, so Allow and Remember any/all Events when prompted by ZoneAlarm:
    Open Windows Explorer and then close Windows Explorer after Windows Explorer fully initializes
    Open Internet Explorer and then close Internet Explorer after Internet Explorer fully initializes
    Perform an Manual Windows Update

-stupefy

hedera Guest

stupefy,

Thanks for your detailed suggestion, I'm testing it out now. For the record, my Vista Home Premium system is now running ZAISS 8.0.298.00, which I installed in a (successful, I'm glad to say) attempt to correct a persistent hang in the system when left running more than 12 hours or so. The only ad blocking software I have (apart from ZAISS itself) is on FireFox (my default browser; I use ADBLOCK), which shouldn't impact IE. I have no parental controls applied.

I deleted all the rules as specified (I don't use Windows Genuine Advantage) and rebooted the system. When I brought up Windows Explorer and closed it (I actually used Windows Update as my test case) I wasn't prompted at all by ZA; and the same happened when I brought up IE7 and shut it down, no prompts. This may be because I upgraded t 8.0.298.000 quite recently and it's still in Learning mode. I then brought Windows Explorer up manually and told it to install and download the latest batch; it did so without a hang; it says it's 14% done. It's now BEEN at 14% longer than I like; but it's a .NET update and probably huge, and the window doesn't act as if it is hung.

I sincerely hope this has corrected the problem permanently. I should note that I also added these domains to the Trusted Zone before I found your post, and they're still there:

update.microsoft.com
    windows.update.com
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I don't know if they have any effect but I'm leaving them there in case.

hedera Guest

After some additional experiments, I'd like to expand stupefy's suggestion.
    I've developed a procedure that so far seems to make "unhanging" Windows Update a matter of easy routine.
    The critical issue is to get all the settings right; and I've compiled these from a couple of different posts, but mainly stupefy's.
    Also, it took me a while to realize exactly how to do a couple of stupefy's suggestions, so I'm writing it down here for others.
    First, add the 3 domains to your trusted zone in the Firewall:
    update.microsoft.com
    windows.update.com
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Then go to your Privacy tab, and add the same 3 domains:
    this is where you tell ZA to allow Private Header information and Session Cookies for those domains.
    Until I did this, nothing really worked; this is critical.
    Go through the list of program rules and delete the rules as stupefy specified.
    You'll probably get prompted about svchost almost immediately, click Allow and Remember.
    Reboot your system and follow these instructions:

You are initiating the following, so Allow and Remember any/all Events when prompted by ZoneAlarm:
    1. Open Windows Explorer and then close Windows Explorer after Windows Explorer fully initializes
    2. Open Internet Explorer and then close Internet Explorer after Internet Explorer fully initializes
    3. Perform an Manual Windows Update

Here's the step that makes this easily repeatable when needed:
    Go to Overview>Preferences and back up your ZA settings!
    Be sure Windows Update is working when you do this.
    Then the next time it hangs, after you finally kill it, open ZA, restore the settings from the backup, and reboot your system.
    I just did this, and Windows Update worked like a charm.

Thread Information