Thread: Validation failure of Zonealarm's vsvault.dll causes Windows XP Home to constantly restart

augabog Guest

Default Validation failure of Zonealarm's vsvault.dll causes Windows XP Home to constantly restart

Hi all,

This issue is tough to describe b/c it just happened on top of two other major issues which I was trying to solve. In short, something about my PC causes it to continuously restart unless I unplug it, plug it back in, and turn it on. OK, the next issue was that my Windows XP Home activation 30 day trial expired so I was using a backwards method to access my files (to see what I would have to reinstall when I purchased XP again).

Now, after putting in my Windows XP disc for bootup and pressing Repair (but never actually doing the repair, pressing ENTER to startup rather than select the XP install for repairing), my computer will get beyond the black Windows load screen, go to a smaller blue window that says Windows XP and "please wait", and then go to a black screen saying validation failed for .../zonealarm/vsvault.dll. From there it restarts. I'm not sure if it restarts continuously due to the hardware issue or that it is in a loop due to get stuck by vsvault.dll

B/c of my expired status I cannot go into safe mode. I can access boot and BIOS menus however.

I just need to get back to where I am asked to activate windows, so I can get crucial systems information prior to having to reinstall everything.

That is, if I can past this vsvault.dll issue I can figure out the rest!

Thanks,
    Seb

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

stupefy Guest

Default Re: Validation failure of Zonealarm's vsvault.dll causes Windows XP Home to constantly restart

augabog,
    Sounds like the Date and Time is out of synchronization on the computer
    FIRST: You do not have to purchase WindowsXP Home again (the windowsxp disk is still good)
    If Windows is not Activated within thirty days it shuts its self down
    Also, are you Upgrading or Downgrading from an previous Operating System?
    SECOND: Is this WindowsXP Home Disk Service Pack 1 or an Service Pack 2 Disk?
    THIRD: You need to go into the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) and set the Exact Date and Time (Exit and Save Changes)
    Turn off the computer
    Unplug the computer
    Re-plug the computer
    Turn on the computer
    Report any/all messages generated back here to this Post

-stupefy

augabog Guest

Default Re: Validation failure of Zonealarm's vsvault.dll causes Windows XP Home to constantly restart

Thank you so much for the response!

I am not upgrading or downgrading. This PC was not purchased with an OS so I was trying to install from an XP disc I already had for another PC.

The disc is Service Pack 1a, but I had updated to SP3. I had made sure to download all most recent XP updates while I still had 30 days.

The BIOS already gives the correct month, day, and year. The seconds may be right (4 seconds slower than my other PC shows).

Here are the screens I get in order:

Gigabyte (my motherboard brand) BIOS screen shows as normal
    Verifying DMI Pool Data... as normal
    Windows XP black screen with blue load bar appears as normal and takes as long as normal
    For a brief time (maybe a 10th of a second) I see the smaller bluish box that I believe is for Windows XP loading (this did not used to show up before problem).
    Then the computer restarts and the process starts over

When I wrote previously, the aforementioned bluish box would stay for maybe a half second and I could read it, but all I remember is it saying something like" Microsoft XP is loading" and "please wait..." but these may not be the exact words. Previously also, this screen would be followed by the "Failed to activate ...zonalarm/vsvault.dll" but I no longer even see that.

Thanks,
    Augabog

stupefy Guest

augabog,
    There are two things we can try,
    Lets try this first:
    Run the Recovery Console by using the Windows XP CD and select the recovery option
    To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD follow these steps:
    Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive and restart the computer
    When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears press: R to start the Recovery ConsoleWhen you are prompted, type in the Administrator password
    NOTE: Press ENTER if there is no Administrator password enforced
    At the Recovery Console command prompt type: disable intelppm and then press ENTER
    Type: exit at the Recovery Console command prompt and then press ENTER
    Report any/all messages generated back here to this Post

-stupefy

augabog Guest

I'm sorry, I keep screwing things up. I had gotten fed up and was about to just reinstall (as opposed to repairing) when I found that there was another repair option after choosing install. This repair attempted to replace files (using the same XP disc) which I hoped would remove whatever was corrupt. Instead, after restarting while installing, the installation gets about 3/4 of the way through and, after installing hardware (my sound card etc.), I get the blue screen say bad_pool_caller 0x000000c2 (0x000000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00000000, 0x8B4D1920). I tried to Google 0x8B4D1920 but it gets no hits.

I tried your Repair method too, but I can't tell if it does anything since I'm now stuck in a whole new loop where installation keeps leading to the blue screen.

Anyways, I did temporarily set up Windows on a secondary hard drive so I can access all of my files on the messed up one. This secondary hard drive is the same brand and model so I don't mind making it the one that will hold my OS and programs. Maybe the easiest solution would be to do this, but I had literally hundreds of programs I use set up which will take days to redo. Do you know of a method for cloning my programs automatically to my new drive w/o potentially copying over the OS corrupted files?

Thanks again,
    Augabog

augabog Guest

By the way, I totally understand if you don't want to continue helping considering this is a Zone Alarm forum and I think I may have dug a hole for myself way beyond the original Zone Alarm issue! Just let me know.

I also should mention that I've read my that this type of blue screen suggests a driver problem according to the advise I found below, which I would've guessed given that it is in the process of installing hardware devices when it goes blue (maybe I can access my drivers to remove them via the new non-corrupted drive?):

Stop 0x000000C2 errors are ALWAYS caused by a driver - either it is attempting to free an allocation that has already been freed, or it is at a bad IRQL. Note that this can be caused by faulty hardware, but it is very unlikely to be the case in most situations.

According to your callstack, it appears that the driver in question is trying to free an allocation that has already been deallocated (that's what the 0x00000007 parameter means). However, to determine the driver that is actually causing the pool header error, you would need to set the system up to do a complete memory dump, and run the resulting memory.dmp file through the debugger the next time the system bluescreens. The driver is NOT identified in a Stop: 0x000000C2 error, although the pointer to the location in kernel pool memory that caused the bluescreen is - the third of the four memory hex values is the pointer that you could use within the debugger to dump the drivers currently loaded, get the memory addresses of the drivers, then trackback from the pointer in the bluescreen until you come across one of the drivers.

stupefy Guest

augabog,
    Yes, this thread has drifted partially off topic and this will be my last Post on this issue.....
    I strongly suggest that you obtain an separate non OEM, non installed/activated Retail Version of Windows XP that
    is preferably at least Service Pack 2, but not completely necessary.....
    You are not only attempting to install an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of Windows XP, but also
    attempting to install an version of Windows XP that is already Installed and Activated on another Computer.....
    OEM versions of any Software are tailor made for that manufactures version of That Computer Model Only and may not contain
    all of necessary Drivers, Modules, Files, Code , and/or other parts of Windows XP/Software that the Retail Version provides
    in order to be Compatible with any/all Computers.....
    I also strongly suggest that you Format your Hard Drive/s and start over.....
    Software can always be Reinstalled, you are wasting your time if you do not Format and Install an Retail Version of Windows XP.....
    Should you achieve success in all of this, I would enjoy reading your success story on this Thread.
    Looking forward to reading an success story,

-stupefy

augabog Guest

I actually decided yesterday night that since this is purely a work PC, I was entitled to my work version of Windows XP. I am now giving myself half an hour to find some shortcut for getting my programs to switch over, but likely will end up just reinstalling all of them.

Thanks for all the help!

augabog

Thread Information