Thread: Monitor blanks on startup

tony_binns Guest

Default Monitor blanks on startup

Installed the current free version. PC now does not start automatically. LCD monitor displays start up screen then blanks. After switching the monitor on and off several times it finally displays Windows (XP) start up screen.
    Resolution?

Uninstalled ZoneAlarm and all is now back to 'normal'

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Monitor blanks on startup

what type of video card are you using
    there may be an issue with the card and za since the problem went away when you uninstalled
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

stupefy Guest

tony_binns,
    Turning the Monitor On and Off has no direct affect or influence on the internal processes of the Boot Sequence.
    What you are experiencing is the time delay of ZoneAlarm Initializing.....along with any other Startup Programs.....
    The time delay is directly influenced by the type of Processor, Size of the Hard Disk and Free Space, and the
    amount of RAM installed in the System.....
    The only time an Monitor will have an direct influence on the Boot Sequence is if the Monitor is not plugged into
    the Port, or not seated into the Port properly or firmly.....then the user will receive an Error Message.....
    From what I have learned, the Windows XP compilation of ZoneAlarm v8.x was designed for Windows XP Service Pack 3,
    you might try to Uninstall ZoneAlarm and Install Windows XP Service Pack 3, then Reinstall ZoneAlarm.....
    The advantage and profit of Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 will again be influenced by the type of Processor,
    Size of the Hard Disk and Free Space, and the amount of RAM installed in the System.....Low End Processors, such as
    Athlon Processors, do not have the power that High End Processors have, such as Pentium Processors.....anything less
    than Two Gigabytes of RAM will be slow.....for Optimum Performance, the amount of Free Space on the
    Boot Drive
    should
    be at minimum, Twice the amount of space occupied by the Operating System.....if other Software is installed on the
    Boot Drive, then no less than Sixty Gigabytes should be the total size of the
    Boot Drive.....
    The Boot Sequence and Boot Time are also influenced by the amount of Startup Programs involved, especially Security
    Software that engages Real-Time Protection.....more than one Security Program that engages Real-Time Protection
    simultaneously can and will cause slow downs and conflicts.....
    The more powerful the Processor, the more RAM installed, the more Free Space, the faster the Boot Time.....
    NOTE: One can lie to the computer, and tell the Operating System that there is more RAM than there actually is to
    gain an slight performance boost.....for example.....if there is only One Gigabyte of RAM, multiply 1024 times 1.5
    (Microsoft recommended formula) which equals 1536 and Set the Paging Files Initial Size and Maximum Size to 1536.
    This accomplishes two things: one, Windows does not have to constantly expand and contract the Paging File to
    accommodate Memory Usage, thus reducing the amount of CPU Cycles, those free CPU Cycles can now be used elsewhere,
    Two, the Operating System and Computer believe there is 512 Megabytes more RAM in the System and will utilize it.....

-stupefy

tony_binns Guest

Thanks for the answers so far. Re boot time issues..I probably wasn't as accurate as possible. The problem lasts for up to 45 minutes (for accuracy that's give or take 30 minutes), long after the boot sequence has completed. Also the blanking happens during the start up and can be intermittent (don't we all like intermittent faults!).

Also I was wrong about the problem being solved after de-installing ZoneAlarm... It's still there.

Went into 'safe mode boot up. That did not bring up the expected safe mode options, however that time all worked fine.
    No idea what graphics card it is..device manager lists Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller and apparently it's the latest driver.

I have been running Service Pack 3 for a long time now and all Microsoft patches are installed on release.
    ZoneAlarm was one of a couple of new installs - BBC iPlayer Manager and their beta version amongst the others. I am sure this will all pan out..at least I have a couple of other PCs to keep me sane (sic)in the mean time. Thanks again to the repliers and a Happy New Year to readers!

Default Re: Monitor blanks on startup -problem lasts for up to 45 minutes

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>tony_binns wrote:
    Thanks for the answers so far. Re boot time issues..I probably wasn't as accurate as possible. The problem lasts for up to 45 minutes (for accuracy that's give or take 30 minutes), long after the boot sequence has completed. Also the blanking happens during the start up and can be intermittent (don't we all like intermittent faults!).

Also I was wrong about the problem being solved after de-installing ZoneAlarm... It's still there.

Went into 'safe mode boot up. That did not bring up the expected safe mode options, however that time all worked fine.
    No idea what graphics card it is..device manager lists Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller and apparently it's the latest driver.

I have been running Service Pack 3 for a long time now and all Microsoft patches are installed on release.
    ZoneAlarm was one of a couple of new installs - BBC iPlayer Manager and their beta version amongst the others. I am sure this will all pan out..at least I have a couple of other PCs to keep me sane (sic)in the mean time. Thanks again to the repliers and a Happy New Year to readers!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..1.) a very few Users have reported Rare Problems with Nvidia Drivers, but upgrading the Graphic Driver seemed to Fix that..But I have several Flavors of Nvidia cards on my 4 computers with no problem with ZoneAlarm..2.) Anytime you install BETA Software, you should Expect problems or conflict, as the Purpose for BETA Testing is to find and Fix Bugs..3.) If you still have a problem after removing ZoneAlarm, them maybe you have some other Software Conflict?4.) a know issue that caused Slow Bootup and Show shutdown was discovered by ZA Tech support that was caused by HD Optimizers. that changed the default Setting in the Registry causing Long Delays on Bootup and Shutdowns..======================================= ==============If you have Updated to ZASS 8.0.059.000 on WinXPSP3 and still experience Slow Shutdown and Slow Startup..1.) many times part of the Registry gets Changed by other Programs like Comercial Registry Cleaners, or Registry Restore from a Registry Backup..2.) here is the Fix provided by Tech support..changed the following registry data:HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control (click on Control)In the right side of Control look for - WaitToKillServiceTimeoutifValue data was set to 200. change it to 20000.After doing this,your shutdown should change backto normal.According to MS the default setting should have been 20000 (milliseconds) So we have no idea how these users got set to 200 or 2000---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:975265650
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.5085
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957-------------------------------------------------

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

also if you use certain video cards (even on board)
    there may be a program associated with it (nvidia in paticular) you may need to add those programs into zonealarm and allow them to access the trusted zone (might work but can not gaurentee the results without looking physically into your system)
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

tony_binns Guest

Still fiddling around. Thanks for the registry setting fix - mine was set to 20000. Also it looks as if it may be a hardware fault in the end. I have tried another monitor and that works OK. Usual thing, too many changes at the same time! Thanks all Have a Happy New Year.

Your Welcome
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information