Thread: zonealarm scanning and large exe files.

Hybrid View

samlar Guest

Default zonealarm scanning and large exe files.

I have notice a problem with zonealarm. Whenever I go to a folder that has a large exe file in it like xp sp2 which is over 270000kb, that the folder will take forever to open compared to folders that do not have that large of a exe file. It also happens if I have xp sp3 file in the folder, which is also a large exe file. Also if I try and click on one of the files and look at properties it take forever. I have notices that I can uncheck the on-access scanning and the problem is not there. I am sure it is that zonealarm is trying to scan the file and since both sp2 and sp3 are very large exe files it take a long time. I also noticed that I have the scan option set to skip if the object is bigger than 8mb. This must not prevent it from scanning them when the on-access scanning is checked. I did notice that I could do a zonealarm scan of the file and it would then let me click on the file without any problems. If I then restarted the computer and then tried to right click on sp2 or sp3 file for xp it would again take forever to do anything. Looking on the task manager I could see the problem was scanning process was scanning the file. Has anyone else seen this problem ?
    The way I fixed this without cutting off on-access scanning was to go to anti-virus advance options then exceptions and placing both the sp2 or sp3 files as exception to scanning.
    I tried this on two fast computers with large memory and was running 8.0.059 zonealarm

Default Re: zonealarm scanning and large exe files.

Hi!You mean 270000KB (270MB)? And you mean right click the folder? and not simply opening?Ifyes, its normal and happens on large files. It does not happen in the same session since ZA remembers the files been scanned. However this 'memory', for security reason,is reset at every boot.I guess those file are installers, right?Why not moving them on CD?Please report to ZA technical support: www.zonealarm.com/tsform This is a limitation of the Kaspersky SDK Antivirus Engine integrated in ZASS that unless is revided by Kasperky is not going to be fixed soon.But with more users reporting it to ZA it could increase the pressure to fix.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-11-2009 03:10 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

samlar Guest

It would be nice if they had at least an option in the exceptions for a folder then all you would have to do is put the large exe files there each time.

Hi!yes, you can exclude folders and not only files...See examples given when you push on: 'add file'.Cheers,Fax

samlar Guest

should have noticed that stupid is as stupid does. next time I open my eyes

No problem, its OK! Cheers,Fax

Thread Information