Thread: Google Chrome Updated without my permission

bobkoury Guest

Default Google Chrome Updated without my permission

I logged into my Windows XP Pro machine this morning. I run ZoneAlarm Security Suite:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:976116795
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5145
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957

I was very surprised to have an alert from Zone Alarm telling me "Google Expander" wanted to run. Not being fully awake, I permitted it to run. Now I see that in Program Files/Google, I have Chrome.exe. I have intentionally not installed Chrome, wanting to keep the pollution factor low on my machine. But, I see I have chrome.exe with a creation time stamp of 12/12/2008 2:04 PM. Something was updated this morning: 1/14/2009 4:49 AM, hours before I came to my machine.

Please tell:
    Is there any guess as to where/how I picked up Google Chrome?
    How did it do updates without my authorization, even through ZoneAlarm?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Google Chrome Updated without my permission

a). Could you tell me where you downloaded the "Google Expander" from such as from what exact site? And why you would download and install somthing you did not want?
    b). It stands to reason if you allowed the program and gave it internet and choose the ZA to allow this always, then the ZA will allow google to update.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 01-14-2009 10:16 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bobkoury Guest

a) It's possible Google updater was put on when I upgraded Google Earth a few weeks ago, maybe on 12/12/2008, but I don't recall giving an OK to Google Updater. Maybe Google Earth now uses chrome.exe? I did not explicitly install Google Expander.

b) The ZoneAlarm alert for me to OK Google Expander was OKed by me around 9AM. The creation date (not sure if this is date created by Google at their site, or date it was put on my PC) was 4:50 AM.

Got Google pack (pack google?) installed?
    Google chrome is basically an internet working browser but it is(will) be a corner stone to the use of the google internet software. I can see the chrome becoming the "key" to get to these google things immediately (as opposed to using another browser) - for the google web experience and goolge tools.
    As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a "google expander", but there is a Google Pack.

Once you OK'd the initial connection for the program, it was OK'd for all later connections.
    You have to change the internet access to Ask instead of Allow for the chrome browser program if you do not want it to update silently.
    Or just uninstall the google chrome if you do not want it.
    Simple.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 01-14-2009 11:41 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bobkoury Guest

Don't know what "pack Google" is. I do have Google Updater, which I suppose came in with Google Earth.

<blockquote><hr>bobkoury wrote:
    Don't know what "pack Google" is. I do have Google Updater, which I suppose came in with Google Earth.
    <hr></blockquote>

Both one and the same.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information