Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZAISS 7 performance question on a Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz hyperthreading PC.

wstern Guest

Default ZAISS 7 performance question on a Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz hyperthreading PC.

Hi,

A friend of mine is offering to sell me his old PC. Its a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz with Hyperthreading.
    If I purchase it, it will put the following build on it:
    Windows XP SP2 (with all hotfixes), Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite (ZAISS) version 7.0.483.

My question is performance. I've used ZAISS7 on faster computers (Like Core 2 Duo PC's), and it does
    slow them down, especially at boot up time and also during the updating.

I was wondering how it would run on an old computer like the Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz with hyperthreading.

If anyone is currently running ZAISS 7.0.483 under Windows XP SP2, with the above named Processor,
    and could comment on how slow it is, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Bill

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZAISS 7 performance question on a Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz hyperthreading PC.

Hi Bill!
    Long time no see.
    How are you?

Not an issue.
    My old 17" laptop with the old ide drive (3,200 rpm) and 3.06 Ghz P4 HT runs fine with the ZA suite or the ZA Pro with another antivirus.
    You should be able to run this okay - try it and see.
    Running the very latest Pro on it right now and it goes like the wind.

You may experience some slower boot time with the v7, but the newer v8 ZA are faster in the boot time and shutdowns.

Also consider disabling some un-needed startup programs and windows services to reduce the load for the windows/system (will increase peeformance not just the boot/shutdown times).

How much memory is available for this old pc?
    Ide or sata drive?
    Additional graphic card or inboard graphics (drag on the memory and resources or is it off the motherboard and using it's own resources)?
    Why not add SP3?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZAISS 7 performance question on a Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz hyperthreading PC.

wstern, No problems here either. Same specs. Firebreathing hyperthreading and all that.
    1gig RAM, but only 1/2 used.
    Old? Old?! Old?!! P4 3gHz not old in my book

Oldsod, why do you ask if drives are of certain type? Just curious. Does it matter?

wstern Guest

Hi Oldsod,

Yes, its been a long time. Good to hear from you again.

The Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz HyperThreading PC has 1 GB Ram. I would be using ZAISS 7 with another anti-virus also.
    In addition to the security software slowing down the PC, I also have a concern on how the Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz PC
    would do on sites like: www.freeonlinegames.com.

On a Pentium III 733 Mhz PC which I used to have, my children complained that the car race games were in "slow motion".
    So, I'm concerned that the Pentium IV, even at 3.2 Ghz, may be similar enough in speed to the Pentium III to still
    have this slowness issue playing the games. From what I remember about the Pentium IV series, the stated Ghz was a hypothetical
    speed which is usually never reached. Thats why the AMD Athlon chips with much slower Mhz were able to win in the benchmark tests
    of that era.

If anyone has a Pentium IV, and wouldn't mind trying www.freeonlinegames.com, then choosing to briefly play a few of the car race games,
    just to see if they experience the "slow motion" slowness of the cars going around the track (which is dependent on CPU speed),
    that would be helpful.

Also, as we've discussed Peer Guardian in the past, I just want to thank you for the tip of using Peer Guardian.
    I've made extensive use of Peer Guardian 2, and I've downloaded lists for most major countries, and I block these dangerous countries (like China, Russia, Romania, Eastern Europe, etc).
    So my view of the internet no longer includes these countries, and so if my children click on a web page which secretly tries to access an IP in those countries, Peer Guardian will block it.

I also use an Anti-Virus which has a feature called "Access Protection" which allows you to define rules that block processes (like IE, Firefox, Yahoo Messenger, Outlook, etc, etc, etc) from writing/creating certain file types to the C: drive or writing anything to the registry.
    This means any malware on websites you visit only has "Read Only" access to your c: drive and your registry.
    I've defined 100 rules in this VSE 8.5 software, which block the browsers, email clients, IM clients, etc, from downloading
    or writing any executable files to the C: drive or writing anything to the registry. I view this as a "Checkmate" against anything malicious running in the browser, like malicious java scripts or iframes trying to initiate drive by downloads. With my rules, the browser is blocked
    at the kernal level from writing any executable files to the c: drive, or writing anything to the registry. So my hard drive is strictly "Read Only" to any kind of malware attempting a drive by download.

Oldsod - thanks again for your tip on Peer Guardian. and all of the long informative posts you've provided over the years.
    You are a great resource.

Thanks,

Bill

wstern Guest

Hi zasuiteuser,

Thanks for your reply. Thank you again for you helpful previous posts in the past.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm considering buying a Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz PC.

I'm not sure if you would have the time to do this, but I was hoping that someone on this list who uses a Pentium IV
    might be able to try going to www.freeonlinegames.com, then choosing to briefly play a few of the car race games,
    just to see if they experience the "slow motion" slowness of the cars going around the track (which is dependent on CPU speed).

I experienced this slowness first hand on a Pentium III. I just want to make sure it won't be slow on the Pentium IV's.

Bill

wstern Guest

Hi Oldson,

The Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz with HyperThreading has 1 GB ram, IDE (not SATA) 80 GB drive.

It has no graphics card, only onboard video with 64 MB shared memory (via the motherboard).

The PC would be mainly used by my children to play free games on internet websites like www.freeonlinegames.com,
    and to play a large number of games which I have on CD dating back to 1999, 2000 era.
    My main consideration is the www.freeonlinegames.com performance of the Java applet games.

The main reason that I've decided to stay with XP SP2 is stability. I've applied all of the important security updates since SP2.
    Right now, I have a very, very stable XP Pro SP2 build. I really enjoy having a very stable system, and once things have been stable for a long time, I usually resist doing upgrades. My ZAISS 7.0.483 is extremely stable, and I don't plan on upgrading to version 8.
    Also, the MyEclipse 5.1, DbArtisen 7.21, Sybase ASE 12.5, JRun 4.07, software I use and paid for back in 2005 is very, very stable, and I have no plans to upgrade that either.

Bill

zaswing Guest

My experience with internet car games is driving along google maps
    Please count me out, I'm not a good test subject.
    That said, I suppose a whole mess of ZA and browser settings has to be changed and I haven't studied the subject well enough.

Ide and sata hdd drives differ not just in cables types, but in transfer rates. Usually ide is slower with the transfer between the motherboard and the drive hence the difference in performance. Plus sata drives kick the actual hdd performance up a notch or two (better read and write).

Recently the newest mother boards have increased the transfer rates even more, making any computer bought last month "dated".
    Plus the new coming (and best) Solid state drives can make the best hdd look very "dated" in terms of performance and life expectancy (drop/smack/bang/vibrate/overheat and cook it and it will never break down, plus the ssd life expectancy is about ten years at minimum).

Even ddr and ddr2 memories have performance differences - not just the memory speed increases.
    DDR3 beats the heck out of ddr2, so any high performance PC with just ddr2 is beaten by ddr3 - plus ddr3 is much faster than native ddr2. Next will come either ddr4 (if they call it that) or just no more memory controller will be used and direct cpu to memory maybe possible. They are speculating this will finally come about with the 4 or 8 core cpu - one core may act as an internal memory controller, but with no restrictions on the board itself (the cpu will become straight to and from the memory cards).

Basically every six months there are brand new performances and specification beating anything from before - and often getting cheaper at the same time.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<blockquote><hr>wstern wrote:
    Hi Oldson,

The Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz with HyperThreading has 1 GB ram, IDE (not SATA) 80 GB drive.

It has no graphics card, only onboard video with 64 MB shared memory (via the motherboard).

The PC would be mainly used by my children to play free games on internet websites like www.freeonlinegames.com,
    and to play a large number of games which I have on CD dating back to 1999, 2000 era.
    My main consideration is the www.freeonlinegames.com performance of the Java applet games.

The main reason that I've decided to stay with XP SP2 is stability. I've applied all of the important security updates since SP2.
    Right now, I have a very, very stable XP Pro SP2 build. I really enjoy having a very stable system, and once things have been stable for a long time, I usually resist doing upgrades. My ZAISS 7.0.483 is extremely stable, and I don't plan on upgrading to version 8.
    Also, the MyEclipse 5.1, DbArtisen 7.21, Sybase ASE 12.5, JRun 4.07, software I use and paid for back in 2005 is very, very stable, and I have no plans to upgrade that either.

Bill
    <hr></blockquote>
    On line javascript games of that sort play on almost anything well.
    Slowness could be from the internet connection not just the computer - slow server, slow connection (even high traffic lan can slow down the transfer), etc.
    It should be okay - online flash games do not really need to much to work with.

Usually I just save the .swf game and open it from the desktop with out using the online server - no need for an internet connection to play the game.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Probably the biggest drag on the computer is....ahem....running two antiviruses at the same time.
    Certain rogue sites (short list) and certain file extensions can be blocked natively inside the browser itself such as firefox and opera - so can the iframes and javascripts (globally or on a per site basis).
    All within the browser settings itself - uses no resources and gives you the same read only effect.
    But I reinforce this protection with another layer by Privoxy - filtering these things out and doing some very special tricks for me at the same time. Very safe - I could not download an .exe or .dll or some types of rogue scripts even if I tried hard.

The easiest way to avoid unwanted malware install and changes is just use the limited user account for the children. Foolproof and effective any time and for any user. The limited user account uses no resources, is free and never needs to be updated or upgraded.

Nice to learn you are enjoying the peer guardian. It is a customizable and very effective free tool.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information