Thread: Different Norton Antivirus 2009 vs ZoneAlarm problem?

randysea Guest

Default Different Norton Antivirus 2009 vs ZoneAlarm problem?

I have NAV 2009 and ZoneAlarm free version 8.0.065.000. There has been no conflict on three of my machines that I am aware of.

However, on my fourth machines with this combination, about once per week NAV tells me my antivirus definitions are out of date. I open NAV and ALL protections are turned OFF. If I click FixNow, NAV gets and installs some updates, and then turns all protections back on. In between the three or four times this happened over the past month, I frequently saw NAV reporting it's doing something in the background, and the virus signatures always stayed up to date. My subscription has 300+ days to run.

Symantec support says it must be a ZoneAlarm conflict, but this doesn't sound like any of the problems reported here, as far as I could tell reading back a short ways in the forums.

I don't see how ZA could be causing Norton to turn itself off that way. I've done full system scans with Norton as well as several TrendMicro Housecall runs. Secunia PSI says my programs are all up to date, and GMER and RUBotted report no problems. So it doesn't seem like a virus is likely.

Has anyone seen this caused by ZoneAlarm or anything else?

Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Different Norton Antivirus 2009 vs ZoneAlarm problem?

<blockquote><hr>RandySea wrote:
    I have NAV 2009 and ZoneAlarm free version 8.0.065.000. There has been no conflict on three of my machines that I am aware of.

However, on my fourth machines with this combination, about once per week NAV tells me my antivirus definitions are out of date. I open NAV and ALL protections are turned OFF. If I click FixNow, NAV gets and installs some updates, and then turns all protections back on. In between the three or four times this happened over the past month, I frequently saw NAV reporting it's doing something in the background, and the virus signatures always stayed up to date. My subscription has 300+ days to run.

Symantec support says it must be a ZoneAlarm conflict, but this doesn't sound like any of the problems reported here, as far as I could tell reading back a short ways in the forums.

I don't see how ZA could be causing Norton to turn itself off that way. I've done full system scans with Norton as well as several TrendMicro Housecall runs. Secunia PSI says my programs are all up to date, and GMER and RUBotted report no problems. So it doesn't seem like a virus is likely.

Has anyone seen this caused by ZoneAlarm or anything else?

Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

Years ago I discovered the Norton would turn itself off when it faced an issue - almost daily.
    And with out a ZA installed.
    Not so great to be with out an antivirus full time or properly workin - Symantec soon found they had one less paying customer.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information