Thread: ZoneAlarm Updates TOO Frequently

todkapuz Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Updates TOO Frequently

Suite version 8.0.059.000Windows XP sp2
    I've changed the duration on the "advanced
    options","updates" under the anti-virus/spyware section to 24 hours... restarted the system, several times.. but still, ZoneAlarm pops up a message box every hour looking for updates.
    based on my usage, hourly is way too much..
    yet even using the selection of other times, it still is an hour...
    and its really starting to get to me seeing the popup.
    I don't want to turn automatic updates off... but I do want it to actually respond to my setting of 24 hours periods.

(or otherwise dont bother me with the popup box letting me know its looking for updates)
    Any work arounds? fixes?
    or is this just something unique to my install?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Updates TOO Frequently

Please contact ZA Tech Support Directly with the Details of your Problem..www.zonealarm.com/tsform (use IE Browser)ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:962291571
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

punchcard Guest

OK, so I find this thread, which addresses exactly what my problem is (updates happening repeatedly during the day, even though the interval is set at 24 hours). This slows down the system and interferes with other tasks that I'm trying to do.

The reply that's posted here says to refer this to tech support using the online form on their page. Ok, but if the answer were posted *here*, I could save everybody time and effort by just reading the solution, and implementing it. I assume that that's what these forums are all about.

So, was there a solution to this problem?

FYI, (why can't these values be copy-and-pasted from the Version Information screen??) I'm using

ZA and True vector, and driver Version 8.0.059.000
    AV engine version 6.0.2.678 DAT file 965643355
    Anti Spyware version 5.0.202.0, DAT file 01.200812.5005
    Anti Spam version 5.0.61.9957

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>punchcard wrote:
    OK, so I find this thread, which addresses exactly what my problem is (updates happening repeatedly during the day, even though the interval is set at 24 hours). This slows down the system and interferes with other tasks that I'm trying to do.

The reply that's posted here says to refer this to tech support using the online form on their page. Ok, but if the answer were posted *here*, I could save everybody time and effort by just reading the solution, and implementing it. I assume that that's what these forums are all about.

So, was there a solution to this problem?

FYI, (why can't these values be copy-and-pasted from the Version Information screen??) I'm using

ZA and True vector, and driver Version 8.0.059.000
    AV engine version 6.0.2.678 DAT file 965643355
    Anti Spyware version 5.0.202.0, DAT file 01.200812.5005
    Anti Spam version 5.0.61.9957

Thanks!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This User Forum exist to help the Few Users who encounter a problem and need to be guided in the right direction by Other more Experienced Users..
    ZoneAlarm Tech Support and Customer Service do notMonitor this Forum..There are two Seperate Web-links for those two services..Customer Service www.zonealarm.com/csform or www.zonealarm.com/support/ click on Live Chat IconZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsform

ZA Tray Icon provides a way for users to display what Version of ZA and the Updates to ZA..

Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About" Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:965645418
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.5005
    GeorgeV

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

punchcard Guest

Here's the reply from Tech Support, maybe this will allow the next person to get the answer here and not have to bother them again (the answer being that there is no fix at the moment except to roll back to 7.0):

-------------------

Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support.

I understand that you are having an issue with constant updates from ZoneAlarm. I apologize for any inconvenience
    that this issue may be causing you.

We are aware of this issue and working on getting it resolved. Other then putting the updates on manual you can
    download and install the 7.0 version.

-------------------

punchcard Guest

...And one more thing,

It seems that the update function *waits* for system activity before starting; that is, my computer is sitting idle, online, for hours, ready to respond to any request, and then, when I sit down to actually *do* something, it decides that *that's* the time to update, thus interfering with whatever I'm trying to do.

This is *extremely* annoying, counterproductive, and easily fixed. It doesn't require rolling back to a previous, and presumably inferior version, nor should it require switching to 'manual' update mode. A simple, pre-next-release bug fix would do it. Just make it update in idle periods, when the CPU is not busy, or on a fixed schedule, and all would be well.

Is that so difficult??

Thanks for listening.

Sorry but thats all being tested in the Current BETA Test.. But a new Beta has just been released, so it may be 60 day or so unitl the next release, unless the BETA Continues..We are all Users in this User Forum..--------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978368860
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5345
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV