Thread: Are there books that cover ZoneAlarm? New to the forums.

spacetrucker Guest

Default Are there books that cover ZoneAlarm? New to the forums.

Just bought ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Suite version 8. I'm asking if there's books available that cover the app in depth, the config, rulesets, etc similar to the NGX books? I've been searching the forums and reading some threads by OldSod and SlyFox, the FAQ's and found Dan Hoovers site. I've gotten some good examples of rulesets. I've worked with NG and NGX, wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I have some experience. Suggestions on other sites or links or threads to read is appreciated.

Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Are there books that cover ZoneAlarm? New to the forums.

What are NGX books? (sorry for not knowing).

What about the help file that comes with the ZA (open ZA and press the [F1] key)?
    Does it have any info about the new ZA?

I do not use the new ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Suite version 8 or the ZAFF, I just use the ZA Pro so I would not be much help with the new suite.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

spacetrucker Guest

Howdy Oldsod,

Your post dated 10-22-08, titled Help with Expert Rules, got me started with my ruleset, so that was most helpful. Been checking out Dan Hoovers site too, he's also got some examples. I have taken a look at the Help documentation also. I've me some expert rules going now, so that's cool, gives me a chance to get familiar with the log files.

The NG and NGX books cover Checkpoints Enterprise firewall product. I was kinda hoping there would be one for ZoneAlarm that really looks under the hood and explains how the app works, best practices, etc. I've been poking and prodding it for awhile today.

I'm just getting started with ZA, so I don't know the differences between the past versions and this one. ZA does have a comparison chart on their site the details the features between the different current versions. Also, there is a Checkpoint forum, www.cpug.com that is totally cool, lots of good stuff there, perhaps your familiar with it? I've been cruising this site today too, and picked up a lot. I've been googling for ZA books but I'm not coming up with any hits. I'll keep digging, Checkpoint may have something on their site, I haven't look there yet.

Cheers

<blockquote><hr>Spacetrucker wrote:
    Howdy Oldsod,

Your post dated 10-22-08, titled Help with Expert Rules, got me started with my ruleset, so that was most helpful. Been checking out Dan Hoovers site too, he's also got some examples. I have taken a look at the Help documentation also. I've me some expert rules going now, so that's cool, gives me a chance to get familiar with the log files.

The NG and NGX books cover Checkpoints Enterprise firewall product. I was kinda hoping there would be one for ZoneAlarm that really looks under the hood and explains how the app works, best practices, etc. I've been poking and prodding it for awhile today.

I'm just getting started with ZA, so I don't know the differences between the past versions and this one. ZA does have a comparison chart on their site the details the features between the different current versions. Also, there is a Checkpoint forum, www.cpug.com that is totally cool, lots of good stuff there, perhaps your familiar with it? I've been cruising this site today too, and picked up a lot. I've been googling for ZA books but I'm not coming up with any hits. I'll keep digging, Checkpoint may have something on their site, I haven't look there yet.

Cheers
    <hr></blockquote>

I suppose you could gleam something from the past user guides:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ct-archive.htm

There are some of changes described for the expert and networking and features especially from v3 to the v4.5.

The Checkpoint forum, www.cpug.com, I never heard of before. Thanks for showing this.
    I did immedaitely notice two familiar and well known names/nicks. Probably there a few others too. Unfortunately the end client is the closest thing to the ZA and itself it still not the same so not too much value for the ZA user at home. The rest of the forum deals with networking and hardware and related enterprise things. Still a good and interesting read anyways.

Oh Checkpoints Enterprise firewall product are NG and NGX. Thanks.
    I usually peruse cisco (gee am I allowed to say that here?).

It is nice to know some former threads about the expert rules are of interest to others.
    I am attempting to stir up interest in the expert rules and at the same time resolve any user's issues with creating or using the expert rules. It is my one man crusade for the ZA community to hopefully starting a nice friendly group that uses and frequently talks about the expert rules at the forum.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

&quot;The Checkpoint forum, www.cpug.com&quot;

They borrowed the name from the old Chicago PET Users Group ???

spacetrucker Guest

&gt;&gt;They borrowed the name from the old Chicago PET Users Group ???

Shoot they could have, who knows, don't tell Chicago PET Users Group. Wouldn't want to bring some kind of copy right infringement hassle to the CPUG party

&gt;&gt;http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ct-archive.htm

OldSod thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I've an understanding of rule sets, the stealth rule, the drop rule, etc. But your post was right handy for someone just getting started with ZA. If have any others you want to clue me in on, please do.

I've a question about the logs. I seem to only see traffic that is coming from my pc, I don't see drops\blocks from the outside. So I don't have an idea of what is knocking on the firewall door from the outside. I've got logging turned on for my drop\block rule, should I be seeing traffic that's dropped\blocked from the outside?

Cheers

<blockquote><hr>Spacetrucker wrote:
    >>They borrowed the name from the old Chicago PET Users Group ???

Shoot they could have, who knows, don't tell Chicago PET Users Group. Wouldn't want to bring some kind of copy right infringement hassle to the CPUG party

>>http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ct-archive.htm

OldSod thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I've an understanding of rule sets, the stealth rule, the drop rule, etc. But your post was right handy for someone just getting started with ZA. If have any others you want to clue me in on, please do.

I've a question about the logs. I seem to only see traffic that is coming from my pc, I don't see drops\blocks from the outside. So I don't have an idea of what is knocking on the firewall door from the outside. I've got logging turned on for my drop\block rule, should I be seeing traffic that's dropped\blocked from the outside?

Cheers
    <hr></blockquote>

Well two things come to mind for the logging issue - either you have a router or nat-able modem blocking the unwanted incoming connections from reaching the computer thus there are no unwanted incoming connections to be seen or the logging in the Alerts and Logs is not set properly.

In the Alerts and Logs, the Event Logging should be 'On'; and 'check all' in the 'Log' of the "Alert Events" tab found in the Advanced button. This will provide for maximum logging.
    Yes these custom setting in the Alerts and Logs will over ride the logging and alerts; I think the intention is to be able to turn off the alerts and logs without having to re-edit all the rules and stop the logging and alerts.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

(note: a block rule all for all protocols and use Any for the Source and Destination should be used after the tcp/udp in and tcp/udp out rules to block any other protocols. These two block rules used are more for stopping troyan or malware activity - and for debugging any mistakes.)

Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information