Thread: Zone Alarm Extreme Security Corrupting Attachments.

bigdenzil Guest

Default Zone Alarm Extreme Security Corrupting Attachments.

I have just upgraded to Extreme from the Security Suite. Immediately following the upgrades my email pals began informing me that my powerpoint .pps and video links would NOT open. Attempts to open were often met with a file corrupted info.

Steps I took to isolate the problem.
    1. turned off the outgoing mail scanner...........NO EFFECT...PROBLEM STILL OCCURRING.
    2. turned off he incoming mail scanner............ ditto..............ditto.........
    3. unticked the ON ACCESS SCANNING................ ditto..............ditto......... (and rebooted also with no positive effect)
    4. turned off the Anti-Spyware Scanner............ ditto..............ditto.........
    5. turned off the Anti-Virus Scanner.............. ditto..............ditto.........
    6. Disabled Zone Alarm Extreme Security entirely.. PRESTO! SUCCESS..ALL ATTACHMENTS SENT SUDDENLY WOULD RE-OPEN.

I confirmed my investigation check by sending a message to myself at each step, (with an attachment that I knew was working correctly at the time of SEND).

Only No.6. (Disabling the Whole Extreme Suite) worked.

I have been a Zone Alarm customer, (both free versions and pro version and the Security Suite version that preceded Extreme) for about 5 years. This type of problem has previously occurred in earlier versions of Zone Alarm. When it occurs, there is no way to defeat the bug other than to disable the program. Previously I simply went onto another competitor's software until Zone Alarm rectified the problem which they eventually did. I should add that my Email Client of choice is INCREDIMAIL PREMIUM. This is the software most used by several of my email pals and normally we open each others mails with attachments without any bother.

It looks like all I can do until Zone Alarm provides a fix, is to Disable the Extreme Security Suite each time I send an email with an opening attachment.

Any advice would be appreciated. BigDenzil

PS: I have noticed that my broadband up/downloads have slowed since my upgrade and I am also disturbed in that you cannot seem to find just what is being blocked in order to create an exception. By the way, I tried ADDING EXCEPTIONS...It made no difference to my problem.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Zone Alarm Extreme Security Corrupting Attachments.

Hi!try to reset the ZAX settings, the upgrade did not went well. 1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootDo not restore any previous ZA backup settings.If the above fails try a /clean removal and reinstall:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html*take note of your license and remove the folders indicated at the end of the document (+ checkpoint in program files)Note that ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, NOD, Kaspersky and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bigdenzil Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    try to reset the ZAX settings, the upgrade did not went well.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Do not restore any previous ZA backup settings.

If the above fails try a /clean removal and reinstall:
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html
    *take note of your license and remove the folders indicated at the end of the document (+ checkpoint in program files)

Note that ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&amp;D, WinPatrol, AVG, NOD, Kaspersky and many
    others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.

Cheers,
    Fax

<hr></blockquote>
    Dear Guru Fax, Thank you for your reply I will try it if the degree of difficulty gets worse. In the meantime, what I am doing is waiting until I have several messages with attachments ready to go, then momentarily disabling Extreme and sending. It's working okay. I just enable the program again and I am back to normal. The reason why I am not racing to uninstall and re install according to the link you provided is that I am not confident in my own ability to get the procedure 'right'. I think I will just wait for Zone Alarm to come out with a major update and then let the system do a reinstall. Thanks again, BigDenzil

Hi!the procedure is easy to follow, if you can't follow it is better youlook for another tool since you may have further issues (not good to disable your security everytime you send an e-mail) or contact ZA technical support tool: www.zonealarm.com/tsformCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information