Thread: CASPER Disk Clone Hangs when ZA is running

cellist Guest

Default CASPER Disk Clone Hangs when ZA is running

I use a product called Casper to make a clone of my operating system disk. After installing ZA Extreme Security, Casper fails and the system freezes just as it is finishing the clone operation (its progress message shows 99% complete). If I turn off ZA, Casper runs fine. I see no error messages or log entries from either Casper or ZA, so it's hard to determine whether Casper, or ZA, or some other program is causing the problem. For sure, the problem did not exists before installing ZA and the problem apparently only occurs when both Casper and ZA are active together.

I found an old thread (here) regarding Casper failing, but there did not appear to be any resolution.

Any suggestion where to start troubleshooting? I will be checking with Casper support as well.

TIA,

Phil

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: CASPER Disk Clone Hangs when ZA is running

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>cellist wrote:

I use a product called Casper to make a clone of my operating system disk. After installing ZA Extreme Security, Casper fails and the system freezes just as it is finishing the clone operation (its progress message shows 99% complete). If I turn off ZA, Casper runs fine. I see no error messages or log entries from either Casper or ZA, so it's hard to determine whether Casper, or ZA, or some other program is causing the problem. For sure, the problem did not exists before installing ZA and the problem apparently only occurs when both Casper and ZA are active together.

I found an old thread (here) regarding Casper failing, but there did not appear to be any resolution.

Any suggestion where to start troubleshooting? I will be checking with Casper support as well.

TIA,

Phil

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I used to use Casper years ago, but I now Prefer Acronis True Imag for Cloning and Image Backups..1.) with Caspers, have you given it Full Permistion in ZAX Program Control, Supper Trusted 3 Bars, and Three Green check marks from the left..2.) also, if you have Windows Firewall turned ON, or other Security Programs installed, they could be conflicting with Caspers or ZAX..ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980224585
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5515
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cellist Guest

Guru,
    I configured ZA with the trust levels you suggested. The Casper run still freezes near the end of the run. As for the Windows Firewall -- I already had it set to OFF.
    Here is the initial response I received from Casper (Future Systems Solutions) support:
    <blockquote>&quot;It sounds like a ZoneAlarm driver is deadlocking the system on an I/O
    request, or there is a hardware problem. Casper writes the boot records at
    the end of the cloning operation. ZoneAlarm is probably intercepting these
    writes in order to scan the boot records; consequently, the problem could be
    a bug in a ZoneAlarm driver that gets triggered when Casper attempts to
    overwrite a boot record.

Contacting ZoneAlarm is a good place to start. &quot;</blockquote>I think the &quot;overwrite a boot record&quot; issue may be at the heart of the problem. ZA may be blocking that, even though the change is being done NOT to the OS disk, but to the clone.
    Do you think my next step should be to open a support ticket with ZA?
    Thanks,
    Phil

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>cellist wrote:
    Guru,I configured ZA with the trust levels you suggested. The Casper run still freezes near the end of the run. As for the Windows Firewall -- I already had it set to OFF.Here is the initial response I received from Casper (Future Systems Solutions) support:<BLOCKQUOTE>

"It sounds like a ZoneAlarm driver is deadlocking the system on an I/O
    request, or there is a hardware problem. Casper writes the boot records at
    the end of the cloning operation. ZoneAlarm is probably intercepting these
    writes in order to scan the boot records; consequently, the problem could be
    a bug in a ZoneAlarm driver that gets triggered when Casper attempts to
    overwrite a boot record. Contacting ZoneAlarm is a good place to start. "</BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the "overwrite a boot record" issue may be at the heart of the problem. ZA may be blocking that, even though the change is being done NOT to the OS disk, but to the clone.Do you think my next step should be to open a support ticket with ZA?Thanks,Phil

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your Feedback..I agree with you, Please open a support Ticket with ZA Tech support Free of charge..also include the Quote above from Casper Support and list what you have tried to resolve the problem so far..ZA Tech support always answer, if you do not get an answer it may meanthat ISP or your E-mail system has junked the response,Check your Junkmail folder.Use Internet Explorer to submit thefull details of your problem and if you do not get an Auto-generated confirmation email .. Use a free e-mail like hotmail or Gmail as contact address
    You should receive an automatic confirmation response by ZA after 5-20 minutes with your ticket number.If you have not received it then your ISP has junked it or Bounced it back to Zonealarm...ZA technical support can be reached here: Click here for ZA Support

Please post back here with your progress report so other Users with Caspers will benifit from your experience..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 26th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information