Thread: ZA Extreme and Alcohol

lmhuffman Guest

Default ZA Extreme and Alcohol

I've hit a stump. I used to run ZASS and Alcohol 120 with virtual drive emulation. Now that I've installed ZA Exteme, Alcohol gets an error:

Loading Alcohol device drivers failed!
    Emulation options and native driver interface of Alcohol 120% will not be available!

If I remove ZA Extreme, I get the capability back.
    I've check all the program controls and even attempted to boot with Forcefield off.

I've tried the ATAPI/SCSI control interface and the default interface with no luck.

anyone have an idea as to the fix?

Win XP
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
    Alcohol 120%
    1.9.8 (build 7421)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: ZA Extreme and Alcohol

Hi!I guess you should report this directly to ZA technical support: www.zonealarm.com/tsform They should be aware of the conflict so they can fix it in future releases.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lmhuffman Guest

Already done. However, I haven't had much success at the support they've provided in the past. I've found that usually the users of the products come up with the fixes quicker than the technical support. That's why I made the post, to see if someone else has experienced this and if they've been able to fix it.

Hi!well, support is the only one that can log properly the issue.For the rest, lets hope someone has ideas... I doubt :8}Cheers,Fax

mafelix Guest

Well I spoke to Tech support on this issue numerous time. I managed to isolated it down to the forcefield iswsvc service in the msconfig/services setting.

With forcefield switched off in the zonealarm settings Alcohol still won't
    run correctly (regardless of any turned on or off advance features settings)
    unless forcefield iswsvc in the msconfig/services setting is disabled or
    stopped. Even if forcefield is turned totally off in the Zonealarm setting
    and the forcefield service remains enable Alcohol will still not run
    correctly.

Disabling this service allows Alcohol to works. Tech support were next to useless and they still haven't replied back, after I pointed this out to them (Not even to say were working on a solution). Seams too much in the too hard basket, and quite frankly their support is useless as. Certainly making me reconsider renewing my subscription when it comes time.

I pretty peave over the whole deal as I brought the extreme suite for the browser security, but it stuffs around with many of my programs (Alcohol being the main one)so I have to disable it, wrote to the Tech last on the 2nd May, STILL waiting for a response.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Mafelix wrote:
    wrote to the Tech last on the 2nd May, STILL waiting for a response.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ZA TC always anwer to requests. If you have got no response then it means yourmail provider has junked the response or it has ended up in junk mail folders.Use a free e-mail like hotmail or gmail and double check always the spam folders. You should recieve automatically a ticket number after 5/10 minutes of your request. Follow-up with live chat with your ticket after a weel of no response to check what is the problem.There is little use to post this here, ZA staff does not monitor this board. We are all users.Please follow up with support and most of all you should also see if this can be fixed by Alcohol developers too.I would recommend you use instead the latest beta, the advantage is thatthe feedback will go directly to the developers of the software (www.zonealarm.com/beta) Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-29-2009 07:42 AM

I agree with Guru Fax,However, here is my two cents worth..1.) It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    When you Contact Tech Support, The more Details you provide, about your problem and your Computer, the better they will be able to formulate a Solution for your situation, But You need to Continue Comunicating with Tech support, They can not Read your mind or observe what is going on on your Computer, unless you tell them the Solution did not work, and provide more details of you problem and or Conflict with other programs on your Computer.., otherwise the problem that only affects a Very few user may never be resolved..2.) have you Reported the ZoneAlarm Forcefield Conflict to the Alcohol Tech Support? maybe they can Fix the Conflict and Release an update to Alcohol?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information