Thread: What Are All The Alerts In The Log

travisk Guest

Default What Are All The Alerts In The Log

I use ZA 8.0.065.000 Free on my Windows XP Pro sp3 system and it works great.

I am just curious what ZA is blocking, in the log about every minute it is blocking some type of access to my computer from some random IP address. I read the more info page that zone alarm brings me to but why are they all using the 12696 port to get to my computer? Is this a coincidence? Literally the last 500 all used that port and were blocked, who are they?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: What Are All The Alerts In The Log

<blockquote><hr>travisk wrote:
    I use ZA 8.0.065.000 Free on my Windows XP Pro sp3 system and it works great.

I am just curious what ZA is blocking, in the log about every minute it is blocking some type of access to my computer from some random IP address. I read the more info page that zone alarm brings me to but why are they all using the 12696 port to get to my computer? Is this a coincidence? Literally the last 500 all used that port and were blocked, who are they?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

What IP is attempting the connection?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

travisk Guest

its a different IP address almost everytime, I have like 10,000 different IP addresses in the log all using that port.

Here is a screenshot:
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/phaze112/za.jpg

its a different IP address almost everytime, I have like 10,000 different IP addresses in the log all using that port.

Here is a screenshot:
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/phaze112/za.jpg
    <hr></blockquote>

Interesting - all are udp not tcp, no icmp is used and all port 12696.

Lets start in the beginning and work our way through this step by step.
    First the router (you have a dhcp server giving a private address to the computer) should be dropping all unwanted connections.
    But this is not happening as these are passing through the router.
    Which means two things - the router has this port open or the connections originated from your computer and thus the router allows these to returned to the computer.
    Where the ZA sees the connections as not wanted and blocks these.
    So first check the router and make sure there are no opened or forwarded ports in the router then and test the router with an online port scan such as one at shieldsup at grc.com.

If the router passes the checks, then the connections must have originated from the computer itself.
    In which case there should be logs of outgoing traffic by the program involed to these servers.
    Got the logging and alerts set to On and High in the ZA for the best logging and alerts?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

travisk Guest

yea its all on high and alerts are on.

I did a port scan at that place and it says i have some stealth ports up to 1056 but no open ports, and my router I only have 1412 forwarded for direct connect no others.

yea its all on high and alerts are on.

I did a port scan at that place and it says i have some stealth ports up to 1056 but no open ports, and my router I only have 1412 forwarded for direct connect no others.
    <hr></blockquote>

Any or which programs with internet server rights?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information