Thread: How do I block Facebook

kijiji Guest

Default How do I block Facebook

Hi
    I've had some limited success in blocking facebook, but not completely. As per http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...thread.id=9451
    I have tried the all three. The first (1) instruction is a good idea but Facebook, as of now,
    has approximately 11 IP addresses. I was able to input the info in the firewall zone, however,
    Facebook adds more IP addresses every few weeks, so this only works for a limited time.
    The second (2) instruction is also a good idea but because of my issues with IP addresses, this remedy is also for a limited time. The third (3) and I think the best, appears to be the
    way to go. I did follow the sequence as instructed, however, when I enter the host name as it appears on my browser address bar, Zonealarm is not able to "Lookup" the imputed info. Consequently the website is not blocked. Can anyone offer a solution to solve this problem? I'm running Zonealarm Security Suite version 8 with the latest updates on Windows XP Home.
    Thanks

Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: How do I block Facebook

<blockquote><hr>Kijiji wrote:
    Hi
    I've had some limited success in blocking facebook, but not completely. As per http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...thread.id=9451
    I have tried the all three. The first (1) instruction is a good idea but Facebook, as of now,
    has approximately 11 IP addresses. I was able to input the info in the firewall zone, however,
    Facebook adds more IP addresses every few weeks, so this only works for a limited time.
    The second (2) instruction is also a good idea but because of my issues with IP addresses, this remedy is also for a limited time. The third (3) and I think the best, appears to be the
    way to go. I did follow the sequence as instructed, however, when I enter the host name as it appears on my browser address bar, Zonealarm is not able to "Lookup" the imputed info. Consequently the website is not blocked. Can anyone offer a solution to solve this problem? I'm running Zonealarm Security Suite version 8 with the latest updates on Windows XP Home.
    Thanks

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Use 69.63.176.0-69.63.191.255 and 204.15.20.0-204.15.23.255 for the two IP ranges for blocking facebook.com

Name servers to block:
    ns1.facebook.com - 204.74.66.132
    ns2.facebook.com - 204.74.67.132

See http://www.robtex.com/dns/facebook.com.html for the details.

Note: there are more than 11 IPs and a few more every week _facebook.com has thousands of IPs as seen in the two given IP ranges.
    Note: facebook.com, vip.facebook.com, tfbnw.com, tfbnw.net, fbcdn.net, facebook.se, facebook.ca, m.facebook.com, fbtest.devekus.com, m.facebook.com, api.facebook.com, blog.facebook.com, img30.facebook.com, badge.facebook.com could all be added to the windows host files with the IP of 127.0.0.1. This too would block any facebook domain name lookups thus blocking any connection to facebook.com ; not blocking by the IPs, but by the various urls of facebook.com

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-23-2009 05:10 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kijiji Guest

Hi
    Thanks for responding to my query, I'm aware I can input the IP addresses in the Firewall zones
    IP range i.e. Use 69.63.176.0-69.63.191.255 and 204.15.20.0-204.15.23.255 for the two IP ranges for blocking Facebook.com). Would I also input the following the same way?
    Name servers to block:
    And finally (windows host files with the IP of 127.0.0.1. ) Can I assume this IP is also added to the Firewall zones? Many thanks for taking the time for your response.
    Regards

<blockquote><hr>Kijiji wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks for responding to my query, I'm aware I can input the IP addresses in the Firewall zones
    IP range i.e. Use 69.63.176.0-69.63.191.255 and 204.15.20.0-204.15.23.255 for the two IP ranges for blocking Facebook.com). Would I also input the following the same way?
    Name servers to block:
    And finally (windows host files with the IP of 127.0.0.1. ) Can I assume this IP is also added to the Firewall zones? Many thanks for taking the time for your response.
    Regards

<hr></blockquote>

Input the nameservers only as single IPs nit IP ranges of course, so yes similar.

127.0.0.1 should be seen in the Zones as Trusted, not as Blocked or as Internet.
    This is the general advice I give out....

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.<hr>

The window's host file should resemble something like this with the list of the new servers directly added:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 vip.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 tfbnw.com, tfbnw.net
    127.0.0.1 fbcdn.net
    127.0.0.1 facebook.se
    127.0.0.1 facebook.ca
    127.0.0.1 m.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 fbtest.devekus.com
    127.0.0.1 m.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 api.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 blog.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 img30.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 badge.facebook.com

<hr>Basically before the programs or windows when doing a domain name lookup, it will first check the host file for a possible IP resolution.
    Once it is seeing the 127.0.0.1 address is given for the url, which is the internal address of windows, the name lookup then ceases and the IP for the url is not just ceased but goes nowhere. Hence these urls are blocked off from any external connections from the computer.

See 'Blocking' under the section titled 'Other uses for the hosts file' from here:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_file" target=_blank>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_file</>

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information