Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TrueVector crashes in ZAISS 8.0.298.000 (continuation of previous thread with same subject line)

vicsam Guest

Default TrueVector crashes in ZAISS 8.0.298.000 (continuation of previous thread with same subject line)

Sorry for the new message/thread, but there was no capability to let me add to the existing thread (Reply feature greyed out)...I have new information which I have tried submitting to ZA via the web form athttp://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...pport-form.htm but the submission will not go through (I have tried several times).
    My TrueVector Service crashes have continued (Error message: "TrueVector Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. Weare sorry for the inconvenience.&quot. Since my previous posts, I have been checking the Error Signature in the Error Report Contents eachtime, when Windows XP generates an error report to send to Microsoft. I have discovered that in EVERY incident, the following applies:
    - the EventType is BEX, indicating a buffer overflow
    - P1 & P2 values: the faulting application is vsmon.exe ver. 8.0.298.0
    - P4 & P5 values: the faulting module is zlparser.dll ver. 8.0.298.0
    - P8 value is c0000409 (STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN --- The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.)
    The error occurs at numerous websites... and I have noticed that it is occurring EVERY time I visit such sites as cnn.com, amazon.com,
    foxnews.com, and vehix.com. All of these sites are what one might sarcastically call "content-rich" and when they load they retrieve
    different parts of their
    content and/or ads from different locations.
    The vsmon.exe application is being passed data that is too large for the buffer. How can I get ZA to could check for a bug in zlparser.dll - maybe it cannot handle a directory path over a certain number of bytes long, or something?
    I know the stock "ZA does not monitor or participate in this forum" disclaimer, but I have also seen instances in the past where theyHAVE fixed problems that they became aware of via the forum, so maybe it can happen yet again...
    vicsamWindows XP SP3ZAISS 8.0.298.000

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: TrueVector crashes in ZAISS 8.0.298.000 (continuation of previous thread with same subject line)

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>vicsam wrote:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...pport-form.htm but the submission will not go through (I have tried several times).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!Shutdown ZA and try again. Does it work now?Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

vicsam Guest

Default Re: TrueVector crashes in ZAISS 8.0.298.000 (continuation of previous thread with same subject line)

I just tried again after turning off ZA. Still not going through. At first, I
    encountered error mesages generated by the ZA site that said they had problems and to
    hit the &quot;back&quot; button and try again (goes back to a blank form and you have to fill everything out all over again), and the last several times I have gotten IE's &quot;Internet Explorer cannot display the web page&quot; error. Their &quot;most likely causes:&quot;
    - You are not connected to the internet (but I am - this forum is working just fine on another IE tab)- The website is encountering problems (the only one I can't rule out)- There might be a typing error in the address (I didn't type it - it's coded on ZA's &quot;submit&quot; button)
    vicsam
    Windows XP SP3ZAISS 8.0.298.000

Hi!if you have issues even with ZA off then I am afraid you have more problems than ZASS crashing...Have you tried with FireFox?Have you checked for malware and/or cleaned your system and registry?For example with CCleaner.Cheers,Fax

vicsam Guest

I keep the system
    clean -
    at the end of every browser session I first run
    Tools&gt;Internet Options&gt;General&gt;Browsing History&gt;Delete
    to delete temporary files, history, cookies, saved passwords and web information, and after closing the browser I run ZAISS's Cache Cleaner.
    My registry is kept clean, error-free, and defragged with a registered version of Uniblue's Registry Booster 2.

Hi!Go to ZA Privacy Control --&gt; Main --&gt; Turn OFF cookies, adblocking and mobile code.Now try the problematic sites...Still crashing?Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-24-2009 07:55 PM

vicsam Guest

OK, I changed all of the privacy settings to allow everything, then saved a copy of the settings as a backup file so I can easily flip to it as a test mode in the future. I
    currently have vehix.com, foxnews.com and email
    open on other tabs and it hasn't crashed yet, which is unusual and great (before, just GOING to vehix.com crashed TrueVector immediately every time).
    The only problem with this approach is that
    blocking/turning off
    all of these things is the reason I have ZAISS in the first place. I only turned all that stuff off as a test... I have no intention of keeping these settings as the norm.
    Your suggestion is a viable workaround but I would never advise anyone to use it except VERY temporarily - and only to visit known reputable sites. Interestingly, after I tried it, I manually restored my settings and then couldn't even get back to the forum AT ALL
    because I supposedly didn't have cookies enabled (I had the same level on cookies that I had when I posted before). I then enabled all cookies and it allowed me to log in, but
    would
    not allow me to reply to your post. In fact, NONE of the menu items at the top of the message section on the forum would work at all. I had to do a settings restore from a previously-saved XML-format settings backup, then reboot and return here.
    Only then was the functionality of the menus here restored.

The solution to the problem would not be for the user to turn off the protection they're paying for (well, as a registered version user,
    *I* am, anyway), it would be for ZA's developers to fix the app so that one can visit mainstream, legitimate sites (admittedly, sites that try to load WAY too much junk that we then
    have to depend on ZA to block)

without turning off all of their protection.
    I do thank you for your &quot;workaround&quot; and would like to hear about other users'
    experiences with this. For others who have been experiencing TrueVector crashes, when the Send Error Report box comes up, PLEASE look at the
    report details
    BEFORE you click OK to send
    the error report (because you can't view any of it after the fact), and include the Error Signature information in your post. The info is necessary to determine whether we are all
    actually having the SAME problem.
    vicsam
    Windows XP SP3ZAISS 8.0.298.000

Hi!I am afraid this is a known issue of ZA privacy control. Don't know ifit will be fixed, ZA privacy control never worked well and always created huge problems to users.It could be probably phased out in the near future.... as it is in ZA Extreme.You should start find alternatives to it...For example, cookies can be blocked directly from the browser. For adblocking or actitveX control you could use IE7PRO (its free) and finally if you update to IE8 you will get webbugs and XSS protection.For any other issue of this kind better you contact the ZA staff directly. They do not monitor this board...Here: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

vicsam Guest

I'd love to contact them directly but, as I mentioned up at the beginning of this thread continuation, when I try to submit the form, it doesn't go through. I either get a ZoneAlarm-website
    error message that due to technical difficulties the submission was not successful and to hit the &quot;Back&quot; button and try again (done that, several times, no go), or I get an Internet Explorer &quot;unable to display the web page&quot; error.
    &quot;ZA does not monitor this forum&quot; disclaimers aside, I've seen enough
    Forum-Moderator/Admininstrator posts that indicate the poster is employed by ZA/speaking for ZA (I'm looking at one in another window right now dated January 2009),
    so I know they
    do become aware of the issues discussed here.

vicsamWindows XP SP3ZAISS 8.0.298.000

Hi!sorry to hear you have problem with IE, but this is unfortunately not related to ZA.You should try to install the new version 8 of IE, may be this may you will get your corruption corrected.Or use another computer from your friend? Shop? Internet Cafe?Alternative contact ZA customer support live chat: link in support page (www.zonealarm.com/support/) and explain you can't contact ZA technical support and if there is another mean to contact them.Cheers,Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information